Author Topic: Wainwrights Dog Food Quantities  (Read 141 times)

IanTasker

• View Profile
Wainwrights Dog Food Quantities
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 16:29 »
Hi,

I have a 16kg small Border Collie, 3 years of age ex rescue dog and owned only for the last 5 weeks.  She loves the Wainwrights Adult Wet foods. We have both the 395g tins and also the 395g Trays.  Following the guidelines on the tins (medium 12kg - 25kg, 1 - 2 tins per day) I would give my dog roughly 1.3 tins per day.  The same logic for the trays (medium 12kg - 25kg, 1.5 - 2.5 trays per day), then she would need 1.5 trays. Assuming the food content is the same (?),  why is there a difference between the two when the tin and the tray contain the same amount of food ?  Also, if I also mixed this with a handful of Nature's Menu mighty mixer,  by how much should I reduce the wet food quantity ?

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wainwrights Dog Food Quantities
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 17:44 »
Hello and welcome to the forum, Looking at the fat content and comparing the foods in the dog food directory. It looks like the tins are higher in fat. 33 %  compared to 25 % That may explain why slightly less is recommended.

I occasionally add some cold pressed to my dogs dinner but just sparingly and I just give about 10% less raw complete. I am not to precise but then it isn't often. So not sure about that one sorry.

Meg

• View Profile
Re: Wainwrights Dog Food Quantities
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 23:23 »
" Also, if I also mixed this with a handful of Nature's Menu mighty mixer,  by how much should I reduce the wet food quantity ?"

What might be of help is to work this from the calories per day you'd want your dog to eat.

Step 1 is to look at the packaging for the food you currently give your dog (Wainwrights) to find the amount of calories in the food per kilogram.

Then you work out how many calories there are in each gram of that food by dividing (the amount of calories per kilogram) by 1000.

You then have a figure per gram.  Multiply that by the number of grams you feed your dog per day to get the total number of calories you are feeding your dog each day.

Step 2 is to carry out this same exercise with the food you want to add in (NM mighty mixer) ie start by finding the amount of calories per kilogram, then divide by 1000 to get calories per gram of the mixer.

Step 3 is now that you know the total calories per day you  feed (this was step 1), and you know the calories that each gram of wet food has (step 1)  you can work out how to reduce those calories ie  by taking out the grams of wet food; then work out adding in the grams of mixer you need (the calories per gram of mixer was worked out in step 2). This will continue to give your dog the same amount of calories you were giving each day with wet food only.

This is for working out a calories per day diet based on the amount of calories per day you are already feeding. You can tweak the amounts if you want to give more or less wet than  mixer by using the calories per gram that you worked out in steps 1 and 2.
I hope this makes sense!

xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

2 Replies
Last post Dec 28, 2015, 10:50
by Dottie
xx
Food is Food? Apparently wrong.

Started by Shadowman12

4 Replies
Last post Nov 22, 2015, 19:46
by LS25Lee
xx
Dog Food - Help!