Author Topic: Composition & labels on well rated foods  (Read 1830 times)

Meg

• View Profile
Re: Composition & labels on well rated foods
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 15:20 »
"Carb levels are, however, very easy to calculate but to save our visitors time, I have added a carb dial to each product's page."

Yes though it's not 'easy' to compare dry with wet food not least due to the varying moisture contents. Which is why comparisons are done on a dry basis (and you've coded as such). The information could have been presented  textually but  I believe your dials are excellent David.
As they say a picture speaks 1000 words.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2017, 15:40 »
Sorry Dottie I posted before I'd seen your post.

For analysing food, everything is given in percentages and must add up to 100.
You can calculate the carbohydrate from adding together the other values that are mentioned. Then take that sum away from 100 which leaves the amount of carbohydrate.

100 = amount of protein + amount of fat + amount of water + amount of ash + amount of carbohydrate.

(Fibre is mentioned and this is the part of carbohydrate  that is indigestible, with sugar and starches the digestible portion).

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2017, 16:59 »
Excellent thread Coaster. Susan Thixton of Truth about Pet food raised this very question only last month  "Should Pet Food be Required to state Carbohydrate Percentage?" Interesting video by Dr Karen Becker and Rodney Habib. http://truthaboutpetfood.com/should-pet-food-be-required-to-state-carbohydrate-percentage/
I did notice that Nutriment state carbohydrate percentage.

Pegasus

• Retailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2017, 17:09 »
Would be hard to use your formula for most dog foods as the moisture content is rarely listed. Just looked at our own food and the NFE and Calorific values are listed as well as the moisture content (which is 6%). This is a pmfa guide to calories http://www.pfma.org.uk/_assets/docs/tool-kits/fact-sheets/Calorie%20factsheet,%20Understanding%20Energy%20Requirements%20of%20cats%20and%20dogs%20WEB%20version.pdf which lists a dry dog food as having 10% moisture - so a small difference to our food.
PS I do like the 'watch out bit' at the bottom of the leaflet which could apply to so many aspects of dog food

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2017, 18:52 »
Pegasus you might check your food's carbohydrate on the allaboutdogfood website.

If David isn't aware of the food's moisture  then the results may be different to  what you expect, somewhat dependant on what is coded as a default value for moisture.

"Would be hard to use your formula for most dog foods as the moisture content is rarely listed."
This is the formula and is a good reason for labelling to include moisture content. 

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2017, 18:53 »
Very interesting reading and a good discussion. I am looking forward to seeing what the changes mean for the ratings.
I agree that it is hard to say for certain the benefits of raw over different cooking methods or vice versa. Lots of factors involved and different theories around. There is enough information around for people to make informed choices.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • All About Dog Food
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:29 »
If David isn't aware of the food's moisture  then the results may be different to  what you expect, somewhat dependant on what is coded as a default value for moisture.

For the review generator the default moisture content for dry biscuit foods is 8% and I'd suggest using the same level when calculating the carb contents of dry foods with unspecified moisture percentages yourself.

Virtually all extruded foods that I'm aware of contain around about 8% moisture and while the moisture content of baked and cold pressed foods can vary a little more, 8% is still a good average.

Pet food manufacturers are only legally obliged to state the moisture content of a food if it exceeds 14%. I have no idea why.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2017, 23:55 »
"........the default moisture content for dry biscuit foods is 8%"
Yes 8% ;) thanks David.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2017, 16:55 »
"Pet food manufacturers are only legally obliged to state the moisture content of a food if it exceeds 14%. I have no idea why."

Yes this does seem to be an anomaly.

I wonder if this is linked to the FEDIAF industry standard for the definition of dry pet food as pet food having a moisture content 14% or less. Semi-moist pet food is defined as 14% or more and less than 60% moisture. Wet pet food is defined as having over 60% moisture.

FEDIAF encourage manufacturers to label that fresh water  be available at all times when feeding dry pet food.
So perhaps manufacturers state moisture amounts >14% to make it clear that their product is not a dry pet food.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • All About Dog Food
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:45 »
Ah, good point. That's probably it

xx
Naturally Better Parma Ham bone rated 5 out of 5

Started by LouHarrison

1 Replies
Last post Dec 13, 2015, 06:36