Author Topic: If I find a website 'issue' may I post it here please  (Read 571 times)

Meg

• View Profile
I would like to sort foods using the already available "user rating" option.
However, trying this today I got the following message:

can't connect to database0:Unknown column 'b.white_label_id' in 'group statement'

Wanted to let you know, thanks for any help with this

Meg

• View Profile
Re: If I find a website 'issue' may I post it here please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2016, 22:05 »
Here are some suggested foods you may be able to add to the website:

Barking Heads  is now available as a wet food. Link is here:
http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/products/dog-food/

Lily's Kitchen have added 'new' products to their range:
http://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/products/dog/all

A new food called Concept for Life  :
https://www.concept-for-life.com/en/#philosophy

Pegasus

• Retailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2016, 11:58 »
I have to stick up for David here! Just a quick look at one wholesaler it lists over 2000 dog food lines. this doesn't account for the independents, BARF, Crown, own label, supermarket or international ones which would easily double (if not triple) the number of foods available in this country. Since this site was started, there have been many progressions such as cold pressed, 80 - 20, extrusion from fresh meat and grain free diets and its probably more important to keep up with these changes rather than new packaging or slightly different products.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2016, 14:46 »
I agree that it is all but impossible to keep up with every new product. Every week there seems to be something new on the market, not to mention product refreshes which can change the formula and analysis considerably.  It would need a team of people to do this, not just one person.  It's one of the reasons why I think the Instant Review Generator is useful. If a pet owner is thinking of trying something that is not yet in the directory they can at least  get some idea of the product.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2016, 15:01 »
Sorry if I've come across as negative, as a newbie it may seem that way. David knows (me) well enough to know this is in no way a criticism of his work, in fact the opposite - Ive long been an admirer of what he is trying to do and have praised him accordingly over the years. Heaven knows what a difficult task he has!

I've probably handled this all wrong..... I was trying to work out where to post if I should come across an issue, perhaps an error as showing in my first post, something in the past I would have flagged up directly to David and now as a forum member thought it may be of use to start a topic in the forum should other users come across (occasional) errors in the sort code as I know he's appreciated being informed.

My other post follows suit and would let David know if there were food changes he would like to keep abreast of, albeit having the time(!) of course to make those changes.

Perhaps it's best to remove this thread? David when you've time could you please say if these are best flagged directly to you? or would be helpful in the forum?

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2016, 15:28 »
As a moderator I usually email David if there is something I need help with and what you describe is an example of this. There are benefits to reporting problems on the forum because it might be of help to other people and might initiate  discussion. On the subject of where to post, it is best to put it in the forum that is most relevant  to the issue.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2016, 23:03 »
Thanks Dottie, I will rely on your emailing him about this if that sounds alright with you; and wait to hear back.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • All About Dog Food
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:28 »
Sorry about taking so long to come back on this.

First off, I'd like to offer a very warm welcome to you, Meg! We do indeed go way back - in fact I've just had a look at our correspondence and your first email arrived in March 2012, just a week after the first incarnation of the site went live! Your feedback really has been instrumental in the development of the site so thank you!

Thanks also for letting me know about that database error. I have fixed it now so the rank by user rating function should be working.

Personally I have no problem with you or anyone else posting problems here or emailing them directly to me, as long as they reach me. I know the site is not perfect and without feedback it will never improve.

I've also added those brands you mentioned to the to do list but in the meantime, don't forget that you can always use our review generator to shed a bit of light on foods that we haven't yet featured.

Thanks again and do please keep the feedback coming!

It's great to have you on the forum!

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:39 »
How kind of you David,thank you. The website is an invaluable source of help and is available to everyone and that's an admirable achievement. You've surely helped numerous  dogs and will go on to help many more, so all praise to you.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 00:58 »
.....forgot my manners...sorry... I meant to thank you for fixing that sort by user rating function bug so quickly David. :)

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • All About Dog Food
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:48 »
Always very happy to help

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 23:41 »
David,
When you are coding for the nutrient levels, will you please consider changing the current limits. A forum user mentioned being unable to search for food with fibre content >6%.
Also some foods 'drop' out of the sort once you click the nutrient levels box as they are already below/above the default levels. Try Lily's kitchen as an example.
Thanks for a great site & thanks for all your help with this.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • All About Dog Food
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:00 »
Hi Meg. That should be fixed now. Many thanks

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 14:41 »
That's great David - many thanks for doing this, and so promptly too! Much appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2017, 20:55 »
So many of us struggle when we have a poorly dog....and aside from a myriad of other things,..... we may want to know what food may help our pooch feel better.

David you already have an excellent article on feeding a dog with Pancreatitis on the allaboutdogfood website.

I wonder...... can I encourage you to write further articles for dogs with health issues that may be helped by diet.

And/or possibly add in another option of a named health condition to the dog food directory which would then list the appropriate and recommended foods; or would list a suggested level of the various nutrients so that an owner can further search using these as a base.

xx
The best things about the updated AADF website

Started by Dottie

4 Replies
Last post Oct 03, 2014, 19:15
by dieseldog
question
Hello & Help Please (Anal gland issue)

Started by Ros

18 Replies
Last post Aug 06, 2016, 09:59
by Dottie
xx
Naturea Light and Senior - can't find a supplier?

Started by Finn-the-Dog

5 Replies
Last post Jun 14, 2016, 16:19
by 50 Sheep Pets
xx
My frenchie has IBD and i cant find a food to stop his tummy aches

Started by Maisiebess

3 Replies
Last post Aug 06, 2015, 20:47
by Eden Holistic Pet Foods
xx
trying to find a food for my dog whose prone to weigh loss and loose stools