Author Topic: Very Limited Ingredient Diet, help please  (Read 9562 times)

Red_Akita

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Very Limited Ingredient Diet, help please
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 00:25 »
I have used Nature's Menu in the past, they have good products and you can also find them at pet stores -those large enough to have a freezer. They also sell bags of pure mince meat and bone, probably that is the safest option for time being until you find exactly what your cat is allergic too.
There are many supporters of raw feeding and plenty of pets who thrive on such diets; personally I don't think all pets should be fed for their entire lives on raw meat but on the short term I don't see any problems.
One word of wording, especially if you have young kids: raw meat, particularly poultry, contains bacteria that are harmful for humans. I don't want to scare you and following basic hygiene rules will keep you and your family safe: always wash your hands and the surfaces in contact with the meat. Some people go as far as saying that if your pet licks at your face immediately after eating, that's dangerous too. I'm not an expert but I think that goes a bit too far on the cautious side... but again, especially with children, better safe than sorry.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 08:22 »
I agree about the NM products. Their packaging also makes raw easy to feed. I am unable to feed raw but I sometimes give the dogs a pouch of Country Hunter single protein food. It is similar in recipe to the raw version but is gently steamed. Pack size is 150g and they are widely sold in pet supply shops. I do not know if these products would be alright for cats so would recommend discussing with NM advisors.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 17:10 »
If you are considering feeding raw food, there is another processing method that you may not have previously tried with your cat, namely, feeding raw food that has been Freeze dried.

Freeze drying begins with fresh raw ingredients, ( eg meats, vegs, fruits, herbs) then water content is removed and this is the form in which you buy the product. When about to feed you'd add water, and wait, usually 10-15 minutes, whilst the product rehydrates to resemble it's original form.

You may find this is accepted (and hopefully tolerated!) by your cat as an as yet untried type of feeding raw food.

loucat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 10:55 »
My other (non-allergic!) cat happily eats the Nature's Menu chicken and turkey pouches. However NM's range of cat foods are quite limited compared to the dog food range. It looks like all the pouches (except chicken) contain mixed proteins.. and none are appropriate, which is really unfortunate.

The Optimanova Rabbit and Potato kibble just arrived so I am trying that first; (their website claims it is single-protein). My cat's blood tests suggest rabbit should be ok.. and it is definitely an unusual protein, so I am cautiously optimistic; (although I'm not sure how he'll react to potato).

I am still searching for a wet food, as the Ropocat and Feringa canned foods have the right ingredients but have been repeatedly ignored.

Avacta still have some of my cat's blood and they can test up to 4 foods for an allergic reaction. I am going to price this option and choose four foods for testing. Which four, I don't know yet..

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08 »

The Optimanova Rabbit and Potato kibble just arrived so I am trying that first

Let's hope all goes well with this food and (fingers crossed) that the animal or vegetable source of the oils and fats is accepted without adverse reactions.

However I am still searching for a wet food

Suggestions that may help are "Animonda Carny Ocean",  namely, 'White Tuna & Prawns', 'White Tuna & Quail Egg', 'Tuna & Seafood', 'White Tuna & Red Snapper', "Feringa Game with Canberries & Dandelion", "Grau Feast Sensitive Mutton with Spelt".

Avacta still have some of my cat's blood and they can test up to 4 foods for an allergic reaction. I am going to price this option and choose four foods for testing. Which four, I don't know yet..

I wonder if it may be wise (given there a concern regarding his reactions to tuna) to have tuna retested?

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 12:25 »
...the Ropocat and Feringa canned foods have the right ingredients but have been repeatedly ignored.

Sorry I don't understand....it's probably me   ??? Can you shed more light on this please.........

loucat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 13:31 »
Hey Meg, I just meant he will not eat the Ropocat or Feringa cat foods. I have given them to him many times now.. but even when he is hungry, he will not eat them. It is a pity, because the ingredients looks perfect.

As for the Optimanova Rabbit and Potato, they advertise it as a 'single-protein' food.. so I should hope there is nothing in the oils or fats except for rabbit proteins?! (Although by comparison, I see James Wellbeloved claim their turkey pouches only have a 'single source of animal protein' - but then they list fish oil in the ingredients, so surely this means it isn't single protein?)

As my cat still has cortisone in his system, I won't be able to judge his response to the food this week.. (although the poor boy is still scratching despite the cortisone shot, and I am applying Virbac Allerderm Spot-On, which helps his itchy skin a little bit).

I am pretty sure tuna is a problem but will think about retesting it.. I only have four tests and would really like to confirm two suitable foods (one wet and one dry) if possible. I wish I could test more than four foods!! but I don't want him to have more blood drawn right now; he has had enough stress this month, and I probably couldn't afford it anyway.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 16:52 »
Thank you loucat, yes I understand, I wonder maybe perhaps if it's the smell putting him off? Or if he has tried that particular food then in may be the taste, or texture is not to his liking?

It sounds like applying Virbac is helping him, which is good to hear.  :)

I've had excellent results (on my dogs) in the past,  with "Vetgold Cream", which I buy online,  and know of other dogs doing well on it:

"VetGoldā„¢ is an all-natural Dead Sea, Over The Counter product line specially designed to promote the natural healing of dry, damaged and irritated itchy skin. VetGold is enriched with Dead Sea minerals, natural oils and natural plant extracts that rejuvenate, revitalise, moisturise and nourish the skin cells. VetGold does not contain any non-organic medicinal chemicals such as cortisone, steroids or synthetic vitamins which, with prolonged use, may cause harm".

And here's the link if anyone may want a peruse...:
VetGoldā„¢ Cream

loucat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 17:32 »
Thank you! I have found VetGold on Amazon UK and will order some right now! (I only have a steroid cream which I don't like to use).
Will it be OK if he licks it off?

He also shows an allergy to dust mites, and I have been recommended Virbac's Indorex spray; (there's a lot of chat about it on PetForums). I'm not sure I would be comfortable using it and would prefer to just keep washing the bedding and hoovering regularly instead. But would be interested to know if you use this product?

As for the canned foods (Ropocat and Feringa rabbit/venison varieties).. it is the smell I think. The first few times, he wouldn't even try them. Then he took a bite the other day because he was hungry, and for a minute, I thought he would spit it out! He did not look impressed. (My other cat won't go near them either). Maybe they are just being fussy.. but I have tried many times now and only the flies will eat it, so it goes straight in the bin.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 22:27 »
Mine were fine  8)

I'd expect a possibility of licking after application and it may be prudent to check directly with them about the cream being licked by your cat.

I'd try to limit his exposure to as many chemicals as possible at this time as he is having a hard time of it at the moment in reactivities. For me this would include sprays and powders, plug-in air fresheners, biological washing powders, scented conditioners, etc. I'd be using as few unscented products as possible. So I'd wash his bedding in non-biological and dry it naturally too, and I'd use a dust mite pillow protector on his bedding.

Dust mites loathe cold dry air, and so I'd keep temperatures below 68 (easier said than done in our summers!) and I'd try to keep the air as dry as possible with a dehumidifier. Also I'd consider HEPA air filtering as this type of air 'purifying' should really help with dust mite allergies.

loucat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 12:05 »
Thanks, I am already very careful with those kind of products and have protectors on everything. The air purifier will have to wait for now.. but it is on the shopping list for future.

The cortisone shot was supposed to give him 5-7 days of relief, but it wasn't a great help and he is already scratching furiously. I am reluctant to give him another one, because of the risk of side-effects.

During my midnight internet research (when I am keeping him company), I found some articles about alternatives to steroids, like Atopica (cyclosporine) and Apoquel.. do you know much about these treatments? Although I see many warnings about their side-effects too - and I don't want to keeping pumping drugs into him, if there are natural alternatives.

The VetGold is on express delivery. It will be pretty easy to apply to his 'balding' areas.. but I guess I'll have to rub it through his fur onto the itchy spots around the back of his neck? (if he'll let me!) There are more itchy areas appearing by the day and this could get very messy I think.

I am applying Virbac's Allerderm 3 times a week now, because the springtime pollens are making his allergies so much worse.. however it isn't helping a great deal anymore and I can't seem to break the itch/scratch cycle. (Although he would probably be worse off without it).

Do you think I should try Dermoscent Spot On - or is it the same as Allerderm? (Dermoscent is a bit more expensive but maybe it's worth trying..?)

I am still trying to get his diet sorted out.. but hope that when I do, the cumulative effect of food + environmental allergies will be low enough to make his allergies more manageable.

If not, would allergen immuno-therapy be the only remaining option?

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 21:15 »
Phew..at this stage he is in a difficult cycle with itch, scratch, injection, itch, scratch etc. A difficulty for you is deciding whether to throw more or less medication his way....when his immune sytem is already overloaded...and he is also becoming weaker, losing weight. In addition there is the completely understandable stress hormones added to the mix, the stress that you have both been experiencing.

However, knowing the cortisone shot did not give him the expected relief period, I'd think carefully about repeating that so soon, unless your vet assures you it will definitely give him sufficient relief to break the cycle.

Personally if he were my cat I'd want to control the conditions of his environment, as much as possible, in order to absolutely reduce his exposure to those allergans to try as far as possible.

So for example, if he were mine I'd keep him as happy as possible indoors, windows closed, HEPA filter running constantly plus I'd keep the indoor climate as cool and dry as possible.

At the same time I'd gently and slowly (and as calmly as possible) massage him regularly, talking to him as you do, for reassurance to you and him! I'd apply Vetgold cream as often as they suggest, directly onto his skin, by parting the fur and then gently massaging in the cream, as gently as you can. Your contact, your voice and your massaging him, should help him enormously, as well as the cream helping to heal him.

Finally his diet:
I'd feed him little and often, and monitor carefully if the food you are giving him is helping him to recover.

And may I ask you always try to remain calm, which is not easy under these circumstances and please try not to stress. You want him to feel as content as possible, and stroking him releases your endorphins which in turn should help him feel better!

loucat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 01, 2017, 14:01 »
It's good advice Meg and he is not short of round-the-clock reassurance, love and attention, I can promise you! Unfortunately it only helps so much..

Despite all my efforts to improve his environment and alleviate the situation, there comes a time when his levels of discomfort are so incredibly high, only medication can help him feel better.

I hate giving him steroids and WISH for an alternative. But even so, I had just hoped the occasional injection would see him through until a more permanent solution could be found. But as the steroids are no longer helping him much, there is no point in giving him any more.

That doesn't help him right now, of course.. when he is scratching so badly he is bleeding.

On a brighter note, I spoke with Nature's Menu and there are thinking about manufacturing novel-protein cat foods! So perhaps in future, more single-protein options will be available, which would be an enormous relief to cat 'owners' in my position.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jun 01, 2017, 14:50 »
Will you please let us know how he progresses as this would really help others who find themselves in a similar situation. Hopefully the vetgold will really help him and can you let us know.

Another suggestion to research would be Manuka honey.

loucat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jul 10, 2017, 11:29 »
Here's an update since our discussion over a month ago..

I discovered feeding him white fish and James Wellbeloved sachets (Adult Turkey) were the only foods that seemed to relieve his itchy skin.. so I poached cod in water every morning and kept both my cats on this diet for a couple of weeks.

However they both deteriorated in health.. and my other (non-allergic) cat  - who loves fish - started shedding a lot of hair and became VERY bloated and uncomfortable.

Desperate for answers, I had 12 cat foods tested against his blood for sensitivity. The results were wonderful - apparently 5 foods (2 dry and 3 wet) were non-sensitive, and some really healthy food options were among them. Unfortunately when I put one of the dry foods to the test (Acana Wild Prairie), he had a VERY severe reaction.. the worst I've seen in a long time - so now I'm scared to try the others..

At least Springtime is behind us and the environmental allergies have eased a little, which gives me more room for error with the foods I think. It seems he can tolerate James Wellbeloved wet food (Turkey) and Nature's Menu Chicken & Turkey .. but as both cats only eat a couple of mouthfuls before wandering off, I am battling to keep the summer flies away. (Interestingly - the flies prefer Nature's Menu and leave the James Wellbeloved alone.. does this say something?!)

Anyway Kibble is their preferred food.. and definitely best for when I'm not at home. CANAGAN GRAIN FREE, FREE-RUN CHICKEN is the best one I have found so far.. He still itches, but the reaction is mild compared to other dry foods. Both cats have been eating this for the last 2 weeks (along with the Nature's Menu wet food) and their health seems improved and they seem happy and playful.

Unfortunately their fur still feels very rough, and not glossy and healthy like it used to be. Perhaps after a few more weeks on this diet, I will see improvements?

His weight is a worry though - he is quite thin. I have seen him vomiting after eating the Canagan but perhaps that was due to the sudden change in diet? I will weigh him today and closely monitor his progress.

I still hope to find a kibble which doesn't set off his allergies at all.. but for the time-being, I want both of them on a consistent diet and won't try anything new for a while; (unless he continues to lose weight, and then I will have no choice).

In the meantime, I continue to apply Virbac's Allerderm Spot-On every 3 days, and use cortisone cream on his balding areas when absolutely necessary. I also tried Dermoscent Spot-On - but prefer Virbac, as the Dermoscent smells VERY strongly of essential oils. I think it must be aimed at the smelly dog market!

xx
Ingredient help

Started by htuuli

1 Replies
Last post Apr 21, 2019, 08:24
by Dottie
clip
Tarimoor Pets Limited

Started by Tarimoor

3 Replies
Last post Jan 18, 2017, 21:04
by Tarimoor
xx
Why Are Oats A Medium Quality Ingredient?

Started by Rachael

4 Replies
Last post Mar 20, 2016, 16:57
by Dottie
xx
Is Meat Meal really a high quality (green) ingredient?

Started by Rachael

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2017, 17:42
by Dottie
xx
Raw diet?

Started by Rottie2016

3 Replies
Last post Nov 16, 2016, 14:43
by RHEBDEN