Author Topic: Very Limited Ingredient Diet, help please  (Read 9613 times)

Meg

• View Profile
Re: Very Limited Ingredient Diet, help please
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2018, 20:47 »

I had a major setback when I discovered he was eating hedgehog food (which a neighbour was throwing onto the communal lawn area every day). It was a commercial hedgehog food - looked just like kibble - and contained chicken, beef and cereals! So I chucked all my food diaries in the dustbin and started all over again. But months later, still no success.

How frustrating these situations can be for us, as we have limited control over what our pets are capable of eating when outside, and is one of the reasons suggested that you might keep him indoors.

Personally if he were my cat I'd want to control the conditions of his environment, as much as possible, in order to absolutely reduce his exposure to those allergans to try as far as possible.

So for example, if he were mine I'd keep him as happy as possible indoors, windows closed, HEPA filter running constantly plus I'd keep the indoor climate as cool and dry as possible.

That said one of my dogs was a hugely inventive hound, with virtually a human dexterity at successfully opening bins and cupboards just to reach an extra unscheduled 'lunch'! Not so my cats....  they are clever in plenty of other ways....!

Loucat - how has he progressed since September last year?

My boy's been on his new diet for a few days now.. only occasional scratching at the moment and he already looks much happier! I am trying not to get my hopes up but it's the best progress in a very long time.

loucat

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2018, 21:11 »
Hi Meg. He get VERY stressed if I lock him inside.. and screams to go out. At least when he's outside, he's distracted and happy. Luckily he's very nervous of other people, so he won't beg for food anywhere else. The hedgehog food was just bad luck.

I think in September I was feeding him Wainwright's? It went well for a couple of weeks.. then he started to go downhill again.

It seems some foods give an almost immediate response (5-8 hours later) and others take a few days or a week before it gets bad. Maybe it's some kind of cumulative effect.

When he is very itchy, I most often see immediate relief by changing to another food. I have rotated foods in this manner since September.. but haven't been able to find a food that gives zero reaction.

I have to monitor him closely and decide what to feed him at every mealtime. We can't go on like this.. and my other cat is totally confused as well.

Cosma Nature seems to be ok so far.. only mild itching at the moment, not too bad. Time will tell.. although it's still 100 times better than the Applaws version, which had him awake and itching the same night. Any thoughts on that?

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Jan 15, 2018, 00:29 »
Yes I understand, it is challenging to keep a cat indoors when they yearn to be outside.

Cosma is one of Matina's brands and if you explain via email as to why you'd want a complete ingredient breakdown of their chicken filet, they would know how to help you, hopefully supplying the information you request.  Matina can be contacted here: service@matina-gmbh.de

For ingredients of Applaws, which is made by MPM products their contact page is here: https://mpmproducts.co.uk

In an ideal world  ;) an explanation of what is in both products, particularly "chicken stock" and "chicken broth" would be useful.

Aside from complimentary food, what else is your cat eating?

xx
Ingredient help

Started by htuuli

1 Replies
Last post Apr 21, 2019, 08:24
by Dottie
clip
Tarimoor Pets Limited

Started by Tarimoor

3 Replies
Last post Jan 18, 2017, 21:04
by Tarimoor
xx
Why Are Oats A Medium Quality Ingredient?

Started by Rachael

4 Replies
Last post Mar 20, 2016, 16:57
by Dottie
xx
Is Meat Meal really a high quality (green) ingredient?

Started by Rachael

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2017, 17:42
by Dottie
xx
Low fat diet

Started by Jill

4 Replies
Last post Dec 08, 2015, 17:26
by Jill