Author Topic: Advice required on what dry food for an underweight dog  (Read 173 times)

hawkit

• View Profile
Hi all

I have 2 Labradors (working), 2 & 3 years old. I feed them both on Skinners Field and Trial, duck and rice. It seems to suit them both, but the 3 year old, is on the skinny side. I've spoken to the vet and they are happy with her health, but they would like me to try a different food, and they have suggested Royal Canin, but from looking at the info on this site, I'm not sure that the suggested switch is a good one.

I'd say she's about 2.5 kg's off her target weight based on her frame.

Can anyone suggest a dry food that would help her gain that weight ?

Thanks in advance

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required on what dry food for an underweight dog
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 18:21 »
Personally I would avoid Royal Canin. I would think that some of the 80/20 foods would be better for weight gain as many are higher in fat. Often they are a little more expensive though.  Are you looking to spend about the same as you do the skinners?

hawkit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 19:48 »
Personally I would avoid Royal Canin. I would think that some of the 80/20 foods would be better for weight gain as many are higher in fat. Often they are a little more expensive though.  Are you looking to spend about the same as you do the skinners?

Price point isn't critical, especially if I can find something that she copes with well, but also adds some weight, any recommendations?

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:31 »
You could try the Dog Food Directory, using the filters 4 - 5 stars and no red ingredients. This will bring up plenty of the 80/20 products as mentioned by Tinyplanets. An alternative is to keep your dog on Skinners and mix with a good quality wet food. They too can be found on the Dog Food Directory. If you change to an 80/20 product, transition gradually to prevent any digestive upsets.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

hawkit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43 »
After doing some research I've decided to try her on Akela 80/20, they recommend a 15 day switch over, so we will be following that.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will let you know how she goes on it.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:31 »
I have a skinny red setter, and I found that he would not put weight on with anything else but raw. I have tried quite a lot of the dried foods and was told to feed more at each meal only to find that the more I gave him to try and put weight on the more his stools became loose.
Then I tried even raw even though he is still a bit thin he is getting there with the raw .

xx
Newbie to Raw food and forum - help required

Started by CraigF

13 Replies
Last post Feb 04, 2018, 20:21
by CraigF
xx
Underweight golden retriever

Started by Woofty

7 Replies
Last post Apr 12, 2015, 20:47
by Dottie