Author Topic: Advice required on what dry food for an underweight dog  (Read 805 times)

hawkit

• View Profile
Hi all

I have 2 Labradors (working), 2 & 3 years old. I feed them both on Skinners Field and Trial, duck and rice. It seems to suit them both, but the 3 year old, is on the skinny side. I've spoken to the vet and they are happy with her health, but they would like me to try a different food, and they have suggested Royal Canin, but from looking at the info on this site, I'm not sure that the suggested switch is a good one.

I'd say she's about 2.5 kg's off her target weight based on her frame.

Can anyone suggest a dry food that would help her gain that weight ?

Thanks in advance

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required on what dry food for an underweight dog
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 18:21 »
Personally I would avoid Royal Canin. I would think that some of the 80/20 foods would be better for weight gain as many are higher in fat. Often they are a little more expensive though.  Are you looking to spend about the same as you do the skinners?

hawkit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 19:48 »
Personally I would avoid Royal Canin. I would think that some of the 80/20 foods would be better for weight gain as many are higher in fat. Often they are a little more expensive though.  Are you looking to spend about the same as you do the skinners?

Price point isn't critical, especially if I can find something that she copes with well, but also adds some weight, any recommendations?

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:31 »
You could try the Dog Food Directory, using the filters 4 - 5 stars and no red ingredients. This will bring up plenty of the 80/20 products as mentioned by Tinyplanets. An alternative is to keep your dog on Skinners and mix with a good quality wet food. They too can be found on the Dog Food Directory. If you change to an 80/20 product, transition gradually to prevent any digestive upsets.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

hawkit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43 »
After doing some research I've decided to try her on Akela 80/20, they recommend a 15 day switch over, so we will be following that.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will let you know how she goes on it.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:31 »
I have a skinny red setter, and I found that he would not put weight on with anything else but raw. I have tried quite a lot of the dried foods and was told to feed more at each meal only to find that the more I gave him to try and put weight on the more his stools became loose.
Then I tried even raw even though he is still a bit thin he is getting there with the raw .

hawkit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2019, 13:23 »
Just to provide an update.

After 7 weeks on Akela 80/20, my skinny lab has started to put weight on, and stomach / stools are all fine, overfeeding by 10% for her weight.

Will start to dial that 10% back over the next month or so, to monitor if the weight she has gained will stay with her.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2019, 19:30 »
Thanks very much for updating. It is good that your dog has had no problems with digestion as some dogs can, when overfed the richer foods.

xx
Newbie to Raw food and forum - help required

Started by CraigF

13 Replies
Last post Feb 04, 2018, 20:21
by CraigF
xx
Underweight golden retriever

Started by Woofty

7 Replies
Last post Apr 12, 2015, 20:47
by Dottie