Author Topic: Autarky, Alpha or Country Kibble?  (Read 8668 times)

Russellterror

• View Profile
Re: Autarky, Alpha or Country Kibble?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 18:49 »
Yes thank you, been on that site & we give him yumega plus every day, as well as hay fever tablets. But thank you for the suggestion!
Not sure exactly how detailed the vets allergy diagnosis was, but yes, worth looking at! Will make sure the next bag of food we buy is stored airtight, but would be difficult for us with raw food for storage, and I also think wet/raw is more calorific... I am being very difficult, I know, but we will just keep trying something else if it doesn't work!

Anita...

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 19:01 »
Good advice from Dottie.
Also check out Greg Martinez DVM. I'm personally a great fan :)
Here is his website, also plenty on You Tube and Facebook.
http://dogdishdiet.com/2014/07/feeding-pets-better-foods-can-solve-many-medical-problems-save-money/

Anita

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 07:55 »
Thank you for the link - will have a good look (haven't come across it before).
Russellterror - I can see why you are a bit wary of wet food and calories but if the right product is chosen and the dog is not overfed it can work.  My little one was on Natures Menu adult pouches some time ago and her weight was stable.  More recently the three of them were on it and much to my surprise the weight of all three was fine.  In fact I had to increase the ration for the oldest dog to a full pack (300g) per day because she lost some weight.  I weighed their portions and fed less than the RDA.
The other thing that might be useful for your dog is to home cook.  This is not for everyone because it takes a bit of effort and you have to read up about it to meet dietary needs but I have found that it is good for weight control. Two  other benefits are no storage mites and being able to tailor the diet to what suits the dog.
Don't know if this is helpful but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Russellterror

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 14:33 »
Thank you so much all for your helpful advice! I will look through it all properly as soon as I get a chance - a bit manic at the moment, but I will let you know how it goes!

xx
AUTARKY

Started by persha

3 Replies
Last post Jul 31, 2016, 20:19
by COASTER
question
Autarky for non working dogs?

Started by Mid89uk

3 Replies
Last post Feb 25, 2017, 12:52
by comet zack