Author Topic: Bichon Friies feeding  (Read 8309 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bichon Friies feeding
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2015, 10:29 »
Some good points made in DQ's post. Yes, the NM nuggets are really easy to feed. The other advantage is that you don't have to buy a large bag. They are higher in protein but that doesn't seem to be a problem for dogs. The issue is more about the quality of protein and what dogs can utilize.

NM do wet food too. PaH also do Wainwright's grain free wet which has  a simple formula. If you use the Dog a Food a Directory and select wet under type of food there will be plenty of choice.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2015, 20:33 »
In terms of food, I would agree with others that a wet food with fewer ingredients might help.

Just a thought but in addition to frozen kongs, I use puzzle games to give small treats such as homemade liver cake. They can be expensive but you can make some simple ones by just hiding treats under cups for Muffin to find. These can help with boredom which may cause an energetic dog to be hyper. I thought my dog would get frustrated with hers but she was methodical and worked it out. It tires her out though.
Here she is having a go
https://youtu.be/VIy7zdHiudE

DQ

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2015, 08:36 »
Hello, just another thought. I was wondering when he has these hyper periods what do you do? In your first post you mention chasing after him to retrieve your underwear!  Often if you chase after a dog it just adds to their fun and increases the behaviour. If possible it might be better to ignore him. Try not to leave things around he might steal, I know its not easy. Or distract him with treats or a toy. I had little pots of training treats placed all over the house, just incase. Also my dog is good at 'sit' Often I make him sit just to get him back focussed on me.

I can recommend a book Helping Minds Meet by Helen Zulch and Daniel Mills, both of Lincoln University Animal Behaviour Clinic. It explains how dogs think, what their body language says and how they react to our behaviour. It's an easy book to read and not very thick!

Annieliz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:44 »
I have been away for some weeks down in Devon where Muffin has had a marvellous time - although he did not appreciate having to have the occasional wash after rolling in mud and other more disgusting things.

I have been keeping him on the Harringtons as it does not seem to stimulate his hyperactivity and I did not want to keep chopping and changing all the time.  But now we are back home I need to look more seriously at his diet.  He scratches a lot and I understand that this may be due to the type of protein in his diet,  Just to confuse me, I also realise that it may be nothing to do with his diet and may even be an inherited trait.  What is an ignoramus like me supposed to do!

I will take some time to read the latest discussions on this forum and try to formulate a plan of action.  Poor little Muffin started to cough again recently (he had kennel cough when we got him from the rescue centre) and the vet gave some antibiotics after finding his glands were swollen.  He has not coughed now for a few days so I am keeping fingers crossed that it will be okay. 

I love this little doggie and would do a lot to give him the happy life he deserves - I just have to find out the way to go!

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:16 »
We often tend to assume that itching/scratching is down to food but sometimes it isn't.  I was mistaken just a few months ago with one of my dogs.  She is old but uncharacteristically started scratching. Changed food - small improvement but not much.  Eventually dawned on me that it might be the anal glands, took her to the vet and indeed that was the cause.  I was thrown out of synch because she has never had anal gland problems in her entire life and I would know because I bred her myself.  Having said that, changing food is always worth a shot.  Coincidentally, I have a friend who used to feed Harringtons and had exactly the same problem as you see in Muff.  He feeds his two Canagan (grain free) now and they are fine. 

From your previous comments, you seem to feel that higher protein levels exacerbate the hyper behaviour.  I'd be inclined to go for grain free but you will struggle to find one that has as low a protein as the Harringtons (22.8%).  I know this because earlier this year I too was searching for products within these parameters.  I can't check this at the moment because the Directory doesn't seem to be working correctly but IIRC, Wafcol Salmon and Potato (two varieties) and Fish4Dogs weight control came up.  If the Directory comes back online I will have another look.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

xx
Overweigh Bichon Frise

Started by Sparky1964

7 Replies
Last post Oct 19, 2017, 19:28
by Tinyplanets
xx
Puppy food for a Bichon Frise

Started by My Bichon

5 Replies
Last post Nov 06, 2015, 08:04
by Dottie
xx
Is raw feeding a risk to humans? (previously raw feeding with toddler)

Started by beaglescomeback

38 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 22:47
by Tinyplanets
xx
Raw Feeding

Started by Louise & Skye The Whippet

25 Replies
Last post Apr 27, 2018, 07:32
by Dottie
xx
New to raw feeding