Author Topic: Butternut Box  (Read 6814 times)

Reggie

• View Profile
Re: Butternut Box
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2019, 17:03 »
It's a minefield isn't it?!
I've been avoiding changing but there's no escaping the fact that Ive exchanged one set of health issues (nibbling paw, ear issues) for another (weight gain); with her age I have to make another move to something which suits her and doesn't leave her hungry after meals. She will seriously eat anything - not a chewer, an inhaler! The other possibility is the wet/canned food - any experience of these? I'm not overly keen on returning to dry, more to do with her just swallowing whole! In the meantime I'll have a good look at the food directory and also give Butternut a ring. Thanks

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2019, 17:41 »
Yes, it is a minefield. BB is pricey, but high quality food. At the moment there are four flavours with more to come. Lamb and beef are higher in fat, chicken and turkey are lower. You can choose.

Regarding wet food, there are some good ones these days. The quality ones tend to be high in fat but as long as the right amount is given they should be ok. Portion size is key. Some have a range of flavours so the dog gets variety. As your dog is a speed eater, wet food might be useful because you could spread it out into a slow feeder.

Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Reggie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2019, 17:50 »
Thanks. I shall have a good read of the different options this weekend; I do think high fat content is probably her issue, so I need to be wary of that.  I assume going from raw to wet or fresh I could just switch rather than wean on to? I know with cold pressed I can mix the two initially if needed.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2019, 20:15 »
You are probably right about the fat and it may be why you are having problems. Companies usually advise gradual transition to their products but raw to wet or fresh shouldn't be an issue - much depends on the dog's digestive system.  Butternut Box have information on their website but you can telephone for further advice. If you try cold pressed food there are good transition instructions on the Guru website. In view of your dog's problems I would advise gradual transition so you can accurately monitor condition. 
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

stringz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:41 »
If anyone would like to give Butternut Box a try , I 'd be happy to supply them with a  75% discount voucher code for their first order.  Pm me.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2019, 14:04 »
I would be interested to know how your dog does on Butternut Box. If it helps, the cost could possibly by deferred by fewer visits to the vet. I certainly hope so. The referral system is a good thing for trying their products out.

stringz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2019, 11:47 »
I would be interested to know how your dog does on Butternut Box. If it helps, the cost could possibly by deferred by fewer visits to the vet. I certainly hope so. The referral system is a good thing for trying their products out.

So far my dog is doing very well. About 50% of his bowl is made up of the Turkey recipe, along with a little bit of Simpsons kibble and some home chopped veg (celery, sweet potato) whilst I transition him over. I hope to get him up to about 75% BB this week. He is not a fussy eater in the slightest but seems to be tucking into his food with real vigour since i started using BB.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2019, 16:12 »
Thank you very much for the feedback re your BB trial. The turkey recipe looks, and smells delicious so I am not at all surprised that your dog is tucking in. All his Christmases have come at once!  :)

stringz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2019, 13:14 »
i've also now  got him on the lamb recipe (about 50% of his bowl). Again he seems to be doing very well on it and meal times can't come quick enough. His poos are back to normal and seem to be a lot less smelly than when he was having Millies Wolfheart kibble. Even better he has put back on the weight he lost when going through the problems that led me to try BB. He seems extremely happy atm and  he  looks really well too.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2019, 18:08 »
I got some pouches for my dog and will probably feed BB at weekends and holidays. She definitely loves them. I have to remove her bowl as she wont leave it for long after it is licked clean.  I didn't transition because she doesn't seem to be bothered by a change of diet at all. I like to mix it up a bit.  She did have four bowel movements today after one pouch but I think I over fed her. The recommended amount was 200g daily and I thought each pouch was 200g so weighed out half in the morning and gave her the rest in the evening. When I did the same tonight, the evening meal looked big so I checked the weight and it was almost 170gs. I weighed a full pouch and it was 292gs . Not sure if that is because the two week trial packs are bigger and her usual packs will be the recommended 200gs.  I am not complaining but will remember to weigh it. If I switched completely I think I would have one happy dog. Sadly It is a little pricey for me but understandably so.  Downside is she has already become more pesky at meal times and is trying to hide her bowl so I don't take it away to stop her chasing around the room for an hour.

stringz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:11 »
yup there's a lot more movement with the bowl with BB for sure! i also wash the bowl after each meal which wasn't the case when he was solely on dry.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2019, 14:39 »
I also found that when my dog was on BB he did a lot more poo, and quite a lot of it., now he is back on raw he is much better and less poo.
I think that there is more fibre in it as it has lentils in it, may be that is why more poo. :-\

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2019, 17:17 »
Well they seemed to be back to the usual two today but larger than when on raw. Nice and firm but not too hard. I think the extra portion was mostly to blame for the previous day.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:38 »
As long as their poo is of a firm consistency with no mucous then it’s ok by me. I think that fibre is a good thing for intestinal health but of course it will lead to larger poos. When I fed my dogs raw, and more recently a high meat content wet food I wasn’t happy with their stools because they were very small and hard. I could see the dogs were taking a while to push it out, as if they were constipated.  On BB their stools are larger than the aforementioned wet food but I class them as good because they are firm and the dogs aren’t struggling to defaecate.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2019, 18:57 »
Yes I agree. I add vegetables to raw food for  exactly that reason. Constipation is a problem without them.

xx
Butternut Box - 75% of first order

Started by stringz

1 Replies
Last post Aug 17, 2019, 09:35
by stringz