Author Topic: Feeding Canagan to puppy but told it's too high in protein - help!  (Read 10578 times)

Supawpetfoods

• Retailer
  • Purveyor of the finest foods and treats!
    • View Profile
I would certainly find another trainer too.

Puppies are like kids, bouncy, mad and full of life. I have found over the last two years of working with my dog in classes and closely with my dog trainer that people expect far too much of their puppy or come out with some very odd notions that they themselves have thought of or have been told by trainers!

Regarding dog training, make sure you go to a trainer who is IMDT certified most of all. This means they are a member of the Institute of Modern Dog Trainers who promote rewards based training which is the only way forward and the most effective. Make sure they have other qualifications and are members of guilds dog trainers, pet handlers and so on. If they've got professional qualifications as long as your arm, brilliant.

If they've only got years of experience and come out with phrases like "I've been doing it for X years, I know what I'm doing" steer clear.

My dog trainer is IMDT certified and has a whole slew of other qualifications and she is constantly on courses and further improving herself. She is a delight to work with and all the dogs absolutely adore her.

Regarding food, there is nothing wrong with high protein and most dogs get on with it fine. There are some that don't though and for them I recommend a 60/40 formula such as Canagan where as brands like Orijen are 80/20.

Canagan is suitable for all life stages and is a very good alternative if your dog doesn't get on with a brand of food like Orijen. In my opinion a dog food should be high meat content, vegetables, fruits, botanical extracts and nothing else.

If a food has got rice, oats and in particular maize, I'm not interested!
Free dog food and treat samples!

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Posts following this one split into a new topic which can be found here.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

xx
High protein and hyperactivity

Started by Dottie

14 Replies
Last post Oct 29, 2015, 07:25
by Dottie
question
High protein and behaviour issues

Started by Miasmum

3 Replies
Last post Jan 03, 2018, 17:45
by Miasmum
xx
The case for a high protein diet (or not)

Started by Eden Holistic Pet Foods

14 Replies
Last post Mar 19, 2015, 08:59
by David
xx
Canagan Puppy Feast

Started by Seaweed

0 Replies
Last post Feb 15, 2017, 16:35
by Seaweed
xx
Itchy skin/query due to high protein in diet