Author Topic: Food for dog with lots of intolerances  (Read 17536 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Food for dog with lots of intolerances
« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2015, 10:13 »
Reference: Schnauday's post, 3rd November 2015:

I have to confess that I have not researched the nutritional values of butternut squash, pumpkin and sweet potato so cannot offer a comment at this point.  However, I have just received a message from a retailer who has knowledge of this subject and here are those observations:

1. Butternut squash,  amount Per 100 grams:[/color]
Calories 45 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.1 g 0% Saturated fat 0 g 0% Polyunsaturated fat 0 g Monounsaturated fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 4 mg 0%
Potassium 352 mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4% Dietary fibre 2 g

2. Google search give slightly different results, squash is part way between the other two. Pumpkin and squash are from the same family, whereas sweet potato is higher in carbs and is more akin to a turnip.

3. The important component for regulating stool consistency is soluble fibre, all 3 contain this is good proportions, but  the squashes are lower carb/calorie.

4. Our "magic recipe" for stool problems is actually sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots and peas with some chicken or white fish, all cooked together and pureed to aid digestion.

There is some useful information there and I thank the member who passed this information on.  Number four may be of particular use to our original poster, KatrinH.

I suppose that one could argue that if one purchases a complete food, it should not require supplementation to enable the dog to produce a normal stool.  My personal view is that a nicely formed, easy to pass stool is a fundamental requirement of any product and that it is one of the indications that the food is suiting the dog.  I refer again to the Protexin chart Poop Points.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2015, 13:19 »
Personally I had noticed that, on a complete raw food, my dog sometimes struggled to have a complete bowel movement comfortably. I hadn't given it much thought as she still went daily but as she was losing weight, I started to add a little brown rice to her diet, Straight away, her stools softened and she passed them with ease. They are still easy to pick up. She will also get sweet potato when we have it. (some in the slow cooker right now :)) I am not too worried about the higher carb levels because we are hoping that will help her hold her weight. I suppose as with all things, it is whatever works best for the individual dog.

KatrinH

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Nov 07, 2015, 13:39 »
Thanks Dottie. Unfortunately that food is not an option as he cannot have carrots.

I will try finding sweet potato in a tin. I cannot eat sweet potato as they make me sick and even the smell is too much for me to handle, but a tin might work, since I don't have to cook it. I wouldn't mind extra carbs to put weight on...

KatrinH

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 15, 2015, 11:39 »
Well I don't want to jinx it by saying anything too soon, but I switched him again to the Hermanns duck and sweet potato. It is only 50% meat and 50% sweet potato and squash and evening prim rose oil. It's organic (which wasn't why I chose it, it just happened to be second cheapest after Wainwrights...). But so far he is doing MUCH better! No super hard and crumbly stools anymore, much less quantity and consistency seems really good so far. I added some cooked and mashed potatos with two eggs yesterday because he needs some weight back on and that seemed to go well to.  Fingers crossed this will be settling it for a while now!

xx
Help please kibble vs raw query ( sorry lots of poo!)

Started by milliev

6 Replies
Last post Apr 17, 2017, 21:12
by milliev
xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

3 Replies
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 10:13
by dozemi
xx
Help find dog food using packaging as an aid? - so how is your dog food packed?

Started by Meg

7 Replies
Last post Sep 20, 2017, 22:13
by Meg
xx
All about our dog's DRY food -What type of DRY food are you feeding nowadays ?

Started by Meg

19 Replies
Last post Sep 09, 2019, 19:45
by Pam501
xx
Food is Food? Apparently wrong.

Started by Shadowman12

4 Replies
Last post Nov 22, 2015, 19:46
by LS25Lee