Author Topic: Fresh Dog Food Startup - Market Research - Please Help!  (Read 452 times)

itsadogsdinneruk

• View Profile
Hi All,

I have been spurred on to start my own business producing a new range of fresh (and then frozen) home-cooked dog food after losing my job because of COVID, so I'd really love to hear your feedback on my idea.

The concept behind the dog food range is to bring more creativity and enjoyment to feeding your dog, by delivering fresh, home-cooked Dog's Dinners to your door under the theme of a world cuisine - e.g. Mexican, Caribbean, Italian, Indian, Chinese etc.

From first impressions, is this something you would consider for your dog as a treat or special meal?

What do you think is missing from the dog food range you currently use?

Are there particular recipes which your dog (or you!) would love to see?

Would you like to see veggie or vegan options for your dog (assuming they are high protein and nutritionally complete)?

Do you have any other pain points, or things that could be improved with the food/packaging/overall experience you receive?

Really grateful for any replies to help steer me in developing the products :-)

Steve

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Dog Food Startup - Market Research - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2020, 22:07 »
Hello Steve - welcome to the forum. I have fed my dogs on commercial fresh frozen food for some time. At the moment there is very little choice for people who want to feed their pet a fresh food diet so I welcome your interest. AFAIK the only companies that are doing this are Butternut Box and Different Dog.  I can’t give you any advice (except from a personal perspective) because I have no experience  of the pet food industry.

I like my dogs to have variety but prefer traditional English recipes that I can recognise. I wouldn’t want other types because I could not understand the ingredients. I am a stickler for crystal clear labelling and knowing exactly what has gone into the recipe and why it’s there. I also like simple recipes. I can only speak for myself but I think it’s best to keep things plain and simple, at least at the outset.

Just my opinion but I think it might be difficult to set up bespoke companies like this because of the cost of the product. It’s obviously going to be more expensive than a bag of dry food and for some people, unaffordable. I currently spend a fair amount of money on food and I only have two small dogs. However, I feel it is worth it particularly as I have a dog with health problems which have responded well to a fresh food diet. 

I am interested in your project and would be grateful if you could let us know how you get on.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

itsadogsdinneruk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2020, 14:04 »
Hi Dottie,

Thanks so much for your insights.  In particular I'd like to know, would you be interested in veggie or vegan options if they can be proved to be high in protein or nutritionally complete?

You can follow my page on Facebook or Instagram for updates - @itsadogsdinneruk

Thanks again,

Steve

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2020, 17:28 »
I wouldn’t feed my dogs a vegan or vegetarian diet as I believe that dogs need meat protein for health. Also, one of them doesn’t tolerate legumes which tend to be used in this type of food.  She has health problems that are currently in remission and I feel that it’s due to the fresh food so I wouldn’t make any changes. I will check out and follow your Facebook page but don’t have an Instagram account.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

xx
Are Grain-Free Foods Taking Over the Premium Dry Dog Food Market?

Started by Dottie

15 Replies
Last post Apr 28, 2017, 22:41
by Meg
xx
Fresh food feeding

Started by Louise hackett

3 Replies
Last post Sep 06, 2019, 11:46
by Rebecca Forrest
xx
The fresh dog food thread