Author Topic: I'm changing dog foods  (Read 29662 times)

Pet Direction Andy

• Retailer
    • View Profile
Re: I'm changing dog foods
« Reply #90 on: Dec 28, 2016, 22:41 »
Lee,

Your story reminded me of my own, with one of my German Shepherds. In the end, it was the chicken.

On reading your post I wanted to shout the word "chicken" very loudly, but I decided to read on and indeed, thankfully, it was Dottie that first considered the possibility of chicken. The chicken in the different food brands may well be sourced from totally different countries and the treatments given to that "bird" before and after hatching, may vary. This may be the reason why some chicken based foods are more agreeable than others.

The advice I was given by my vet to help Ronnie's problems was a simple diet of chicken breast and plain boiled rice. So, as a responsible owner, I did exactly this and what fired out the back of poor Ronnie, can only be described as luminous yellow mustard.

Cutting a very long story short, the chicken we eat from the supermarket shelves is in no way a cure for all ails and some thought is needed before anybody takes this advice from vets. I personally would obtain a sample of tripe based food, to see if things improve, before running up vet bills, for advice(like in my case)  that may only make matters worse. In Ronnie's case, he ate chicken happily until I moved him onto a well known British, Chicken and Rice brand. From that moment on, Ronnie could not tolerate chicken. If I was to feed a breast of chicken to Ronnie with his evening meal, I will either get vomit within a couple of hours, or his entire meal on the kitchen floor, in a liquid form, by the following morning. Poor lad.

What happened with Ronnie propelled me into learning about dog nutrition and researching what is actually in some of these foods, the big brands with clever marketing. I was horrified. I have recently become a grain free only retailer and I will only sell products that I am happy to feed Ronnie and my other two. I do stock chicken recipe foods and I stand by their quality, but I will always ask a customer first and foremost about their pet's history of digestion and enquire into any history of food intolerances.

Let me just add, in the way of a disclaimer, there are plenty of good quality foods out there that contain rice and I would be happy to suggest a few, if asked. Personally though, I was glad to see that you have gone the way of a non grain food.

All the best,

Andy

Edit: Also Lee, make sure you do not feed him any treats with the rubbish in them. Don't let his day care feed him chicken or grain treats.

Stick with dried fish for treats, you can't go wrong.

LS25Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:04 »
Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply all these weeks on.

Since this started I've fed him grain free lamb and vegetables wainwrights which he's doing well on. The only treats I've fed are again, wainwrights grain free white fish or duck. I've also fed some dried fish skins.

He did bring something up the other day actually however we'd been in the car a lot that day and was at families the night before so I'm putting that down to that. He's been fine since.

I won't feed chicken again just in case to be honest. So as long as he's doing well on this I'll stick with it. He certainly enjoys it.

All the best
Lee

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:02 »
Hello Andy - welcome to the forum. Thank you very much for your very useful post. It seems that chicken can be a real problem for some dogs. At least both you and Lee are now aware of the intolerance and can take steps to avoid it.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Pet Direction Andy

• Retailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Jan 03, 2017, 21:56 »

"Hello Andy - welcome to the forum. Thank you very much for your very useful post. It seems that chicken can be a real problem for some dogs. At least both you and Lee are now aware of the intolerance and can take steps to avoid it."

Dottie,

Many thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the effort you put into these forums and your balanced approach when giving advice.

Chicken can be a very real problem to some dogs and I do believe it is more common than vets realise. I have managed to solve several stomach issues in local dogs, by advising owners on chicken exclusion. It seems that chicken itself isn't the problem, it is just what we humans do to it, from egg to shelf, that seems to be the issue.

I would suggest to any dog owner that chicken is a great source of protein, but that it may be prudent to change to a different protein source now and again, to prevent intolerances building up. I do believe that, with Ronnie, some of the blame lies with me. He adored chicken from the day I got him and I fed him some very fine chicken based meals continually. In hindsight, I probably should have rotated his protein source.

I now feed all three of my dogs, Eden Country Cuisine, Devoted Scottish Salmon and very soon I will be adding (after being advised) Simpsons Buffalo and Lamb into the rotation, just to mix up the protein, over a year. I haven't seen a poor stool from any of them since I started on these foods. We dog owners do like a proper stool to pick up. :-)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:52 »
Thank you for your post. I find the issue of rotation of protein source interesting and as you have mentioned it, if you have time, would you start a new thread on it please? I think it would be useful to discuss this as a separate topic and I can see that you have considered it.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

xx
Changing my profile

Started by laurieandrews

3 Replies
Last post Mar 29, 2015, 07:30
by Dottie
xx
Changing Diet...

Started by Andy H

11 Replies
Last post Aug 19, 2017, 20:07
by COASTER