Author Topic: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food  (Read 69423 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food
« Reply #75 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:20 »
Well, the carbohydrate in dog food issue will always be controversial to a certain degree. David's reviews on this website are that it is the quality that counts. Cold pressed food usually contains brown rice which is viewed favourably as it has nutritional benefits. As long as the dog is not intolerant of grain then it should be ok. As an example, Gentle has 28% brown rice which, if I were making home made food for my dogs, I would feel is a reasonable amount.  The new kid on the block, Surf and Turf has sweet potato in it, which again is thought to have nutritional  benefit for the dog.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Feb 11, 2016, 16:25 »
I have split the last two posts to form a new topic about Lukullus.  This can be found here.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Feb 12, 2016, 13:06 »
Transition to cold pressed food:
There are some useful instructions on how to transition to cold pressed food here.  Cold pressed food is heavier than kibble and the page  has an illustration of the smaller quantity that is needed.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Apr 22, 2016, 18:19 »
A member of another pet forum spotted this cold pressed food, puredog I don't know anybody who as tried it yet but it does come in smaller bags. I put one varieties ingredients through the instant review generator and it came up as a 4.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Apr 23, 2016, 16:53 »
Am I right in thinking it is grain free? Also, I wonder where it is made?  ???

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Apr 23, 2016, 19:40 »
Yes indeed, it is grainfree. The website says that the company is registered in England  but I can't find any information on where it is made.

NATNAT

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Apr 26, 2016, 18:57 »
Its made in Germany I thought  :)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Apr 27, 2016, 12:51 »
AFAIK the only two companies who manufacture cold pressed foods are the one in Germany (Lupo Group) and the other in the Netherlands who make Farm Food HE. Would imagine it has to be one of those but can't be sure. A while ago I came across cold pressed food in Ireland. I can't remember much about it but a quick search has brought up Dog Lovers Gold. The Europe office is in the Netherlands.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Jun 01, 2016, 15:43 »
From Facebook:  Gentle are about to release a new variety of cold pressed food based on a single source protein, white fish - link.  Perhaps is might be useful for dogs who are intolerant of chicken or for those that have a particularly sensitive digestive tract.
Edit: this version of cold pressed food is now available and is described as "...the first and only cold pressed white fish dog food with no other animal proteins or fats."

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Jul 22, 2016, 13:55 »
Another variety of cold pressed food from a UK company will be on sale next week.  It is Guru 'Full on Feast'. It contains duck, sea fish and vegetables.  It is grain free so will probably fill a gap in the market as there are so few cold pressed products in this category.

Anita...

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jul 23, 2016, 14:10 »
Does anyone know if the meat and other ingredients are cooked at high temperatures first? (I know this rice has to be).
Then is it just the case of pressing all the ingredients together at a lower temperature?
If this is the case, one of the main marketing features about the lower temperatures is not totally honest is it!

Quote from website (Guru)
We learned that cold pressing is the best way to make a complete pet food.
Unlike the vast majority of dry dog foods, the ingredients are not exposed to damaging high temperatures which can alter and change the delicate proteins and vitamins.
In fact cold pressed food is quite the opposite. The food is carefully mixed at temperatures up to 44 degrees before it’s pressed for a second. This means the ingredients retain much more of their natural nutrients

Also if pre-cooked at higher temps why would it be any more nutritious than extruded kibble?

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Jul 23, 2016, 14:56 »
A good question Anita, I have always assumed that the grain is precooked but the ingredients such as meat, which may undergo changes under high temperature, are cooked during the cold pressing. I think cold pressing uses temperatures of around 75c which would be high enough to kill bacteria but the effects of heat would be less than extrusion which involves much higher temperature.

That said, I am not sure. Perhaps that would be a question worth asking the manufacturers.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Jul 24, 2016, 14:11 »
Anita - here is the answer to your question:
Quote 1: All meat products have to be treated under EU Regulations No 1774/2002. This involves gentle cooking as well to prevent any nasties. Oils are cold pressed and vegetables are dried and ground.
Quote 2: We feel the is very important for people to know. So thanks for asking. If the chicken would be raw for example there could be a risk of salmonella or campylobacter, just to name two of many risks. Please contact me if you need more detailed information. Happy to explain any questions.
If you would like to discuss further, the thread is on the Gentle Facebook page. 

Anita...

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Jul 26, 2016, 19:44 »
Thank you Dottie

Sully

• Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Jul 28, 2016, 12:56 »
I don't know whether I am over feeding my dogs with this but one of them seems to be constantly swallowing all the time..like they are going to be sick..anyone else had this problem?

xx
Concern with Cold Pressed food

Started by Lottie

4 Replies
Last post Jun 03, 2019, 20:04
by Lottie
xx
Lukullus cold pressed dog food

Started by All_about_Chutney

5 Replies
Last post Feb 12, 2016, 05:03
by Dottie
question
Wilsons Cold Pressed Dog Food

Started by McvitieMcnuts

2 Replies
Last post Jan 27, 2019, 17:32
by McvitieMcnuts
xx
How to switch from dry extruded to cold pressed food

Started by Rila

11 Replies
Last post Feb 26, 2017, 21:37
by Dottie
xx
Cold pressed options in UK for dry complete food?

Started by Howlingbrown

1 Replies
Last post Sep 14, 2018, 20:46
by Dottie