Author Topic: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food  (Read 59761 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food
« Reply #90 on: Jul 28, 2016, 14:12 »
Please can you tell us how much your dog weighs, how much you are giving and frequency of meals? You could also have a word with the company staff if you wish. I find that it is important to weigh the food every time because it is very easy to overfeed. 
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Oct 11, 2016, 13:18 »
New to Zooplus is Markus Muhle Red Deer Venison (Rotwild) cold pressed dog food.  This one contains barbary duck, venison and fish. I had a sample last week and it looks and smells the same as the other cold pressed products that I have. Price is £19.99 for 5kg and £44.99 for 15kg.  It  adds a bit more variety to what is a comparatively small range of cold pressed products.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

ofs

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Oct 30, 2016, 13:12 »
Hello, I am new in this forum. I live in Spain and I am interested in cold pressed food for my four dogs. Checking the options that I have got : Luposan, Lupovet,  Markhus Muhle, Lukullus, Naturavetal, Farm Food and Healthy Dogs, which one would you think is the best option? Personally I  like Gentle and Guru but it is just not convenient for me.
Another question: I have my doubts about the percentage of carbohydrates, it seems to me too high in all the brands that I have checked ( around  40%), I thought the ideal % was around 20%.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Oct 30, 2016, 15:09 »
There is a lot of debate what percentage  of carbohydrates  is best with opinions very split. Ultimately whatever suits your dog, is good. my dog has always done well on the cold pressed foods. She now has them along side her raw food and I vary the brands. I haven't had any issues but again it depends on the dog. The best way to decide what will suit yours, is trial and error.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Oct 30, 2016, 16:18 »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I only know about Gentle, Guru and Markus Muhle NaturNah because these are the ones that I have given to my three dogs. Because they are very similar I find that there are no problems in giving the dogs a different variety. You have to look more closely  at the recipe to see the differences. A very few are grain free and of these, white potato tends to be the main carbohydrate. I prefer the ones with brown rice and also green lipped mussel (for joint support) because one of the dogs is elderly. 

The carbohydrate is above average and it is a matter of opinion whether that is a good or bad thing.  The actual amount of brown rice seems to be something in the region of about one third of the recipe so to me that is acceptable but some people would not agree.   

From a quick search, Luposan seems to be the one for the Spanish market but I cannot find the ingredient list on their website.  I don't think that you will go wrong whichever you choose - as mentioned, they are all similar and you can give the dog a change of meat/protein source by alternating them.

ofs

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Oct 30, 2016, 16:40 »
Thanks for your opinions.  I think I will try  Luposan Natural Extra Energy  first and supplement with raw food (in different meals) when it is possible. I normally change brand quite often so I have several options to choose.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Oct 30, 2016, 17:47 »
Cold pressed food is said to go well with raw. Tinyplanets feeds raw and sometimes gives cold pressed instead.  I do it the other way round - feed cold pressed as a base and substitute raw for one meal about three times a week.  Works well and raises the protein but not the carbs so it probably levels them out.  Please could you let us have the ingredient list and analysis when you get the packet?  Might not have been looking hard enough but could not see it on the website.

ofs

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Oct 30, 2016, 18:35 »
I went to "read more" on the website
Ingredients in Luposan Extra Energy:
Dehydrated and ground Black Angus Beef: 20.6 %, Dehydrated and ground chicken meat: 9.4%, Dehydrated and ground Menhaden Herring 5.8 %, Dry swamp clay 2.6%, Diatomaceous Earth 1.6 %, Canaliculus 1.6%, Green clay 1.4%, Perna canaliculus sea mussel protein 1.2%, Dried cranberries (OPC), Brown rice- (parboiled and milled), Steamed whole and ground corn, Ground millet, Ground amaranth, Cold-pressed vegetable oils (linseed oil, rice and nuts), Gelatine, Mix of dried seaweed, Fresh green herbs (caraway , fennel , thyme ), Yucca schidigera, Egg yolk powder, Ground flax seeds, Herring Oil,Beet-pulp
 and Analysis:
Crude protein:   29,6% , Crude fat:   14%, Humidity:   8,8%, Incinerated residue:   6,50%, Crude fiber:   2,90%, Calcium:   1,28%, Phosphorus:   1,05%, Magnesium:   0,12%, Sodium:   0,38%
Energy: 16,54 Mj 3900Kcal/Kg
Carbohydrates: 39,8%

I think the ingredients and analysis are good

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Oct 30, 2016, 18:46 »
Currently only feeding raw complete but have looked at cold pressed previously & continue to keep an eye on market developments. I may well feed cold pressed at some point but as yet I am undecided.

Given a choice between cold pressed and most high temp dry extruded kibble then decent quality cold pressed gets my vote. I have looked into Gentle before and specifically the fish one. Beth owns Gentle & is very knowledgable. Guru is interesting though I found their site a bit too cartoon & media focused for my liking. Some other cold pressed foods dont impress me as much as others.

The alleged claimed carb figures pushed around were a concern for me too albeit carb levels are often assumed by calcuating the remaining percentage after key ingredients have been considered. Arguably not that scientific or fair.

Mineral clay, rice & potato flakes may push up carb levels. I believe there is difficulty in that due to lower temperatures in manufacturing there can be need for binding ingredients that may contain carbs. For some folk simple carbs are an issue whereas complex carbs are less of an issue.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Oct 30, 2016, 19:20 »
Ofs - thank you for the ingredient list and analysis. I have put them in the Instant Review Generator and it scores 4.4 with one ingredient flagged as red (corn).  However, I know that there are problems with translation sometimes.  Also, although the algorithm has seen corn and flagged it as red, it would appear that in this case the corn is treated  in a specific way so all is not quite as it seems.  This happens with the maize in Markus Muhle NaturNah.  My understanding is that the company put things in there that they believe are advantageous to the dog so there will be a reason for it. 

As I mentioned, I have found that it is OK to switch between these cold pressed products because they are all fairly similar. You could therefore try this one and if you want a change, buy the Markus Muhle next time. 

As Coaster has said, here in the UK Beate Rothon (Gentle) is the person to contact for advice about any of these products.  I see that there are details about the Spanish importer on that website so you have two choices of who to contact.

Coaster - I understand concerns re carbohydrate. Of the carbs, I would prefer to give brown rice than white potato.  I  top up with protein to redress the balance a bit. 

Agree about the Guru website being cartoon-ey but it is  eye catching and some people like that.  However, they are good products.  The Field Trip Bones are super when going out for the day as they replace a meal.  They are super crunchy - mine have had them for a treat instead of a meal and it takes them a good while to polish one off.

ofs

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:29 »
Dottie, I have been in contact with Luposan Spain to ask them about percentages of corn and rice   in Luposan Extra Energy and the answer is  that the percentage of whole grain rice is 19,5% and 8% whole grain corn. I think  8% of corn is  not a problem at all. Very happy with its costumer support.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Oct 31, 2016, 19:53 »
Thank you for the feedback.  It's good that they have good customer support in Spain.  Hope that your dog does well on the food - please let us know how you get on with it.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:46 »
The smallest size of most cold pressed food is 5kg.  Trial samples are not always large enough to gauge whether the product will suit the dog. For pet owners who would like to trial cold pressed food but are unsure about purchasing the 5kg size, this might be useful.  It is 2 x 1.5kg Lukullus Mixed Trial Packs from Zooplus.  AFAIK Lukullus is made for Zooplus by the Lupo group.  If this product suits the dog and it has no intolerances it is likely that other cold pressed foods such as Gentle, Guru, Lupo, Markus Muhle etc will suit too because they are from the same manufacturer/production method and similar recipes.  This enables the pet owner to give a bit of variety if they wish. 
There is also a single 1.5kg bag of Lukullus Chicken & Northern Wild Salmon here.

ofs

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Feb 08, 2017, 13:39 »
Alpha Spirit  has got a new variety of dry food http://www.aspiritpetfood.com/products/dry-dog-food/. Through the description I understand  that it is cold pressed food.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Feb 08, 2017, 16:50 »
Well spotted!  The only Alpha Spirit product that we have reviewed on the Dog Food Directory is the semi moist one - link.  As you say, this is a new product and according to the description it is cold pressed.  Interestingly, they have added turmeric and taurine to the recipe.  They seem to have a higher protein and fat content than some of the other, more well known cold pressed products.  I haven't put the ingredients through the Generator but at a glance I would imagine that these products would attract a high score.
The company is in Murcia, Spain.
Interesting find ofs - thank you. 

xx
Lukullus cold pressed dog food

Started by All_about_Chutney

5 Replies
Last post Feb 12, 2016, 05:03
by Dottie
xx
Storing cold pressed dog food non airtight

Started by LS25Lee

20 Replies
Last post Feb 06, 2016, 18:36
by LS25Lee
xx
How to switch from dry extruded to cold pressed food

Started by Rila

11 Replies
Last post Feb 26, 2017, 21:37
by Dottie
xx
Cold pressed options in UK for dry complete food?

Started by Howlingbrown

1 Replies
Last post Sep 14, 2018, 20:46
by Dottie
xx
Cold pressed & Raw.....

Started by Chelle 74

1 Replies
Last post Aug 01, 2016, 20:05
by Dottie