Author Topic: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food  (Read 69614 times)

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
Re: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food
« Reply #135 on: Sep 04, 2017, 17:40 »
To keep the cold pressed thread up to date, as mentioned in the classified section Carra Pet foods are launching the Prins ProCare line of pressed dog foods at Pats show later this month. This includes ProCare Mini for smaller dogs. Good to see the bags start at 3kg.
https://carrapetfoods.co.uk/index.php/about-our-foods

Hi Seaweed. Thank you for mentioning us. Just to clarify, Prins have the following product lines:

ProCare
ProCare Mini
ProCare Grainfree
ProCare Protection

It sounds more complicated than it is - the ProCare line is the standard line, Mini is simply the smaller bites variety, Grainfree is exactly as it says and then we have the new Protection line.

In terms of the UK market, all the product lines are in effect being launched - we began working with Prins in July. The Protection line is Prins' newest line, launched this year - as I mentioned in my post within the classifieds section, this is a food with a little extra added to help prevent heart, muscle, joint and digestive problems to larger and active breeds that are more susceptible to these issues. We're officially launching it (so to speak) at PATS later in the month.

If anybody had any questions about Prins or their foods I'm more than happy to help.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sep 16, 2017, 11:17 »
Some information on the ingredients and sizes of the forth coming Tribal Pet,TLC cold pressed dog food.
http://www.pet-shopper.co.uk/products/dog-foods/tribal-dog-food

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Sep 16, 2017, 21:15 »
Interesting because these are the first turkey cold pressed foods that I have seen. Also, there are grain free versions. Look forward to seeing them on the Dog Food Directory. Thank you for updating us Seaweed - very much appreciated.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Sep 19, 2017, 21:13 »

If anybody had any questions about Prins or their foods I'm more than happy to help.

Do you have compositions, carb levels & metabolised energy figures for your cold pressed foods ?

Apologies if I have missed same but I could not see the info on your site.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Sep 20, 2017, 19:38 »
I've a bag of the new Forthglade Cold Pressed (Duck  with Brown Rice) here to try today -  the size of the kibbles are similar to Gentle (standard size not mini), slightly darker in colour than Gentle though not as dark as Markus Muhle NaturNah. Smells fresh when you open the bag and if anything slightly meadowy/grassy. Has a use by date of 7½ months......and more importantly first small 'tasters' were gobbled with relish!!
I will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

A tardy late and an overdue feedback on how the 'new' Forthglade cold pressed kibble was received ..........

and yes I'm happy to comment that the duck variety of the food has gone down a treat!   No itchy skin and no upset tums to report either. Importantly, wagging tails and empty bowls to boot!  ;D

[Save to mention also adding raw meat intermittently -  and on occasions, an amount of "complete" wet food -  to the kibble, was accepted with gusto too].

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Sep 20, 2017, 21:09 »

Do you have compositions, carb levels & metabolised energy figures for your cold pressed foods ?

Apologies if I have missed same but I could not see the info on your site.

Hi Coaster. Unlike other pressed foods available in the UK, we don't offer a one size fits all food - we have a range of food suitable for different ages, shapes, sizes  and nutritional requirements.

To give you an idea of the composition of our foods here is our grain free hypoallegenic food featured on this site:

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1736/prins-procare-sensible-grainfree

As above we have a range of foods from low calorie foods (3370 Kcal/kg) right through to a food for a working or sporting dog (4090 Kcal/kg).

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Sep 20, 2017, 21:50 »
For anyone who'd like to read further about Prins pet foods here is a link to their site: http://www.prinspetfoods.com/

.... and for the variety of food in the range that has been previously mentioned, might I comment that the website seems rather specific, appearing to be discouraging (in that respect) ease of use by casual browsing...so after page 'hunting' there is helpful information here: Grainfree Sensible

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Sep 20, 2017, 22:01 »
For anyone who'd like to read further about Prins pet foods here is a link to their site: http://www.prinspetfoods.com/

.... and for the variety of food in the range that has been previously mentioned, might I comment that the website seems rather specific, appearing to be discouraging (in that respect) ease of use by casual browsing...so after page 'hunting' there is helpful information here: Grainfree Sensible

Hi Meg. Prins are a Dutch company and you're correct, their English .com site is a little dated and difficult to navigate. They have recently rebuilt their Dutch site which is in the process of being translated into English and will replace the current .com site.

To give you an idea of how it will look:

https://www.prinspetfoods.nl/onze-producten/hond

You can of course find details of all the Prins foods available in the UK on our site below - this has only just gone live so apologies for any teething problems we're having:

www.carrapetfoods.co.uk/index.php/about-our-foods

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Sep 20, 2017, 22:49 »
Yes, thank you for the links. The updated site does indeed have the translator kicking in, after the Dutch text, that is, if it's available (depending to a degree on your search engine) so patience is needed.  Here is the link to the specific variety on that site: https://www.prinspetfoods.nl/hond/prins-procare-grainfree/prins-procare-grainfree-sensible-hypoallergic

I'm glad to hear your website is up and running now:
You can of course find details of all the Prins foods available in the UK on our site below - this has only just gone live so apologies for any teething problems .....
And I'm wondering (though I may be barking up the wrong tree, forgive the pun) if there may be an indication here of a possible future change to grainfree  - "The ProCare Grainfree selection includes five grainfree pressed foods" ? In addition to Puppy, Sensible and Senior?

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Sep 20, 2017, 23:04 »
Yes, thank you for the links. The updated site does indeed have the translator kicking in, after the Dutch text, that is, if it's available (depending to a degree on your search engine) so patience is needed.  Here is the link to the specific variety on that site: https://www.prinspetfoods.nl/hond/prins-procare-grainfree/prins-procare-grainfree-sensible-hypoallergic

I'm glad to hear your website is up and running now:
You can of course find details of all the Prins foods available in the UK on our site below - this has only just gone live so apologies for any teething problems .....
And I'm wondering (though I may be barking up the wrong tree, forgive the pun) if there may be an indication here of a possible future change to grainfree  - "The ProCare Grainfree selection includes five grainfree pressed foods" ? In addition to Puppy, Sensible and Senior?

No, you're not barking up the wrong tree - this is one of the teething problems I was talking about.

Prins do offer 5 grain free foods:

Puppy
Sensible Hypoallergic
Senior
Skin & Coat
Pro Energy (a high energy food for working or sporting dogs)

We currently only hold stock of the first 3 however we're going to be adding the other 2 to our site where by they can ordered and they will be shipped directly from Prins. This function is being worked on by our developer and we hope to have up and running soon.

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Sep 22, 2017, 00:38 »
Just to follow up on the discussion with Meg above - Prins .com site has now been updated to match it's .nl website:

https://www.prinspetfoods.com

And something which Meg did message me about regarding my own website - there is a feature on Prins' site that allows you to answer questions about your dog to narrow down the most suitable foods for you:

https://www.prinspetfoods.com/voedingswijzer#

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Sep 22, 2017, 11:24 »
.....and hopefully that particular useful feature can be incorporated into other pet food websites.  8)

T'is another simple way, moreso when faced with selecting from multiple choices, to help pet owners to choose an individually suitable food, nearest to the needs of an individual pet.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sep 22, 2017, 14:02 »
@Carra-Pet Foods - good to see the new website. I have only had a very quick glance so far but I usually immediately look at the ingredient list of at least one item. I noticed that this product (Prins ProCare Standard) is not clearly labelled - there are no percentages and exact ingredients:
Grains, meat and animal by-products (poultry), vegetable by-products (400 mg Fructo-Oligosaccharide), oils and fats (0.5 % salmon oil), sugar, yeast.  The only product on the Dog Food Directory is Prins Procare Sensible Grainfree.  It would be useful if you could add your full range to it.

As this is the cold pressed food thread, I thought it would be useful to have a direct link to these products. The pressed foods appear to be the Pins Pro Care range on this page of the website. Is this correct?
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Sep 22, 2017, 16:03 »
@Carra-Pet Foods - good to see the new website. I have only had a very quick glance so far but I usually immediately look at the ingredient list of at least one item. I noticed that this product (Prins ProCare Standard) is not clearly labelled - there are no percentages and exact ingredients:
Grains, meat and animal by-products (poultry), vegetable by-products (400 mg Fructo-Oligosaccharide), oils and fats (0.5 % salmon oil), sugar, yeast.  The only product on the Dog Food Directory is Prins Procare Sensible Grainfree.  It would be useful if you could add your full range to it.

As this is the cold pressed food thread, I thought it would be useful to have a direct link to these products. The pressed foods appear to be the Pins Pro Care range on this page of the website. Is this correct?

Hi Dottie.

First of all answering your question regarding the compositions. There are two ways in which you can detail the composition of your products; either a detailed ingredient list as we're used to in the UK or what is called a clustered composition - this is where you list the food groups. Until recently Prins only sold their products in the Netherlands where there isn't the same demand from the consumer for detailed ingredients lists - as a result Prins always used a clustered composition*. They have however acknowledged that in countries such as the UK there is a demand from consumers to know detailed ingredients list and have begun the process of changing all their packaging over to a detailed composition. As I'll come onto in a moment Prins have multiple ranges of food, some of these have already moved over to the new detailed packaging however a couple of their older, best selling ranges will take a few months due to the volume of existing packaging still held in stock - the aim is for this to be completed by the new year though. As soon as the new packaging is fully in place, and hopefully to coincide with David's new algorithm that incorporates nutritional levels as well as ingredients, we'll be adding the rest of the products to the directory.

Regarding your 2nd question. The ProCare range is just 1 of 5 ranges of pressed food Prins offer and within each range they offer at least an adult, puppy, senior and hypoallergenic product:

1. ProCare - this was their original range. https://www.prinspetfoods.com/dog/prins-procare
2. ProCare Mini - this is essentially the same as the ProCare range but with a smaller sized kibble. https://www.prinspetfoods.com/dog/prins-procare-mini
3. ProCare Grainfree - this is their grain free range. https://www.prinspetfoods.com/dog/prins-procare-grainfree
4. ProCare Protection - this is their latest range which I mentioned earlier in the thread. This range is designed for larger, more active dogs that are more susceptible to heart, muscle, joint & digestive problems. https://www.prinspetfoods.com/dog/prins-procare-protection
5. ProCare Dieet - this is their veterinarian/diet products. https://www.prinspetfoods.com/dog/prins-dietetic-feed-your-dog

The Grainfree, Protection and Diet ranges have all moved over to the detailed composition and as above, within the next few months we hope for all the ProCare & ProCare Mini products to have the same detailed compositions too. Just to give a bit of detail though - every food is 100% natural and with the exception of the hypoallergenic products which are either Duck or Lamb, all the other products are poultry based.

*Briefly just on the topic of ingredients lists and it is something I've touched on previously, I would urge people to study the analytical constituents of a food just as much as the ingredients lists and most importantly, look at the correlation between the two. An ingredients list on it's own is just a list of words, it doesn't tell you the quality of the ingredient that's used, nor does it tell you how much of the nutrients are left over after the production process. For example if you have a food that claims to have a very high meat content but a very modest crude protein level, ask yourself why - what quality of meat is being used? is the claimed meat percentage as straight forward as it seems or is the manufacturer using a rehydration factor? For those that may not know, there is a slight grey area when it comes to percentages of dehydrated ingredients. If you had a very small amount of a particular dehydrated ingredient in your product you're allowed to list the percentage of that ingredient as if it was in it's fresh form. Unfortunately there are some companies using this 'trick' for the main ingredients too which is borderline illegal.

I have a lot to do getting ready for PATS this coming weekend but next week I'll try to write a post regarding the term 'cold pressed" and claimed temperatures that pressed food is exposed to.

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Sep 26, 2017, 19:22 »
No plans to switch to cold pressed but have been wondering.......

Another thread on these boards discusses issues with large bags spoiling before all eaten within date, (typically but not always cited as 6 months in ideal conditions).

Bearing in mind above has anyone with above issues  tried decantering some cold pressed into daily portion amounts and freezing same ?

Anybody asked a uk based cold pressed brand name if this could be done ?

Curious as to whether this is okay or not as there is some similarity to raw.  No idea how the food might react especially the clay(s) typically used to help bind these products.

question
Wilsons Cold Pressed Dog Food

Started by McvitieMcnuts

2 Replies
Last post Jan 27, 2019, 17:32
by McvitieMcnuts
xx
Concern with Cold Pressed food

Started by Lottie

4 Replies
Last post Jun 03, 2019, 20:04
by Lottie