Author Topic: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food  (Read 68460 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food
« Reply #180 on: Jan 31, 2018, 18:21 »
Astranine - it would be good if you could let us know how you get on with the bags of cold pressed food. Many dogs transition quickly and easily, others need a bit longer. If your dog has a sensitive digestion, maybe give some as treats first just to get used to it. Just a word of warning - when weighed, the quantity (RDA) can look paltry because the nuggets are quite dense. Don’t worry about this but remember that you can soften it with tepid water and mix to the consistency of your choice - it looks a lot more and the dog drinks less afterwards.   
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Feb 01, 2018, 00:08 »
But everything I read about older dogs suggest they need much higher protein content

Yes I'm inclined to agree with this for the many processes that protein is used for by a dog, such as fighting disease, dealing with injuries and infections (effectively stress responses) and these processes are not diminishing with age, rather they may unfortunately tend to increase, resulting in a much needed greater reserve of protein to call on as and when needed.

As you are likely already aware it's those good sources of high quality bio-available protein which are invaluable to dogs, whatever their age.

Regarding fats, this is where activity levels and metabolism decide the amount. Mostly due to the higher calories of fats. This could be a short trial on a particular food with x amount of fat and after a time re-evaluating to decide if x amount is fine for the calories burnt. In other words if your lab is showing she is thriving well on the food.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:55 »
Astranine - it would be good if you could let us know how you get on with the bags of cold pressed food. Many dogs transition quickly and easily, others need a bit longer. If your dog has a sensitive digestion, maybe give some as treats first just to get used to it. Just a word of warning - when weighed, the quantity (RDA) can look paltry because the nuggets are quite dense. Don’t worry about this but remember that you can soften it with tepid water and mix to the consistency of your choice - it looks a lot more and the dog drinks less afterwards.

Will do.
Thanks to all for all the helpful comments  :)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Feb 08, 2018, 19:41 »
Transitioning onto cold pressed food:

During this thread (post #5 onwards) transitioning onto cold pressed food from extruded kibble was discussed. 

Usually we advise that dogs should be gradually transitioned onto new food if at all possible.  AFAIK, this is also the advice given by some of the companies who sell cold pressed food (made by Markus Muhle). The transition guidelines of Guru Pet Food are here and they recommend two weeks although with some dogs it would take a shorter period of time. It all depends on the dog and whether it has a robust digestive system.

Because of this discussion we became aware that Prins pet food, who also sell cold pressed food has different transitioning advice:

From the aforementioned thread #5, posted by  Carra -Pet Foods:
Just to clarify, are you suggesting the transition from extruded to pressed food should be gradual? If so this is something Prins do not agree with. Their opinion is when changing from extruded to pressed food it should be done straight away due to the differences in how the two foods digest in the dogs stomach. If you're changing between two pressed or two extruded foods then yes, do so gradually but we wouldn't advise this when changing between the two.

It can be useful to contact the manufacturer for advice and support when changing a dog's food.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Feb 08, 2018, 21:14 »
Just to add to the above, I really can't emphasise enough how much we disagree with these other brands regarding mixing pressed and extruded food, particularly within the same meal. They digest completely differently.

If anybody is looking to move from extruded to pressed (or vice versa) and had any questions please do ask and I can forward them to Prins vets.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Feb 08, 2018, 21:59 »
.....and just to add a further pebble to the water..... .. ??? .it's also the possibility that a transition for a dog is necessary from feeding a raw diet to a cold pressed food diet and I wonder what would be the advice for this?

I ask as we are aware the tummy of a raw fed dog is more acidic and thus one might expect the transition to be easier and by implication faster.... However, as has already been mentioned, some dogs may not transition well if food is changed unduly quickly, moreso if the reason at the heart of the change is due to health issues, for example colitis.
 Unless absolutely sure of how a dog would respond I favour changing a dog's diet slowly, and even slower if there other factors involved.

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Feb 08, 2018, 22:17 »
Hi Meg. I've never actually asked the question regarding a complete change from raw to pressed. I do know that a lot of people that feed raw do successfully alternate between the two but Prins' suggestion is to feed 5 days raw then 2 days pressed or vice versa. I've just sent an email off to one of Prins' vets so should get an answer tomorrow but I'd imagine it would follow on from what I've just said but to increase the amount of days you feed pressed food each week.

Just for clarity if anybody is reading that doesn't know - the reason why feeding raw and pressed on alternate days is easier than pressed (or raw) & extruded food is because raw and pressed kibble digest in much the same way.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Feb 09, 2018, 00:23 »
Thanks Carra-Pet Foods.

It'll be interesting to hear from Prins' vets. I'm particularly super-cautious around diet changeover rates for  pups and senior dogs, any dog of compromised health, and of course any that have shown ingredient intolerance in their history.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:03 »
I prefer to transition without mixing different foods in the bowl. I usually reduce a meal of the old food then a few hours later give a small meal of the new. Gradually the amounts are adjusted until the dog is on the new food. It does require smaller, more frequent meals for a little while. I would prefer to do this with transition from kibble to cold pressed because of the differences in breakdown in the stomach.  When I put my eldest dog on cold pressed food circumstances dictated that I could not transition and there was no problem. However, I knew that she was ok with cold pressed food because she had had it for a short while some time before.

A friend is trying her raw fed dog on cold pressed food, mainly because it would be useful when they go on holiday. She has noticed that the dog has an occasional small vomit afterwards. I have suggested that she just gives one or two cold pressed nuggets as treats then give a very tiny meal of it between meals, gradually increasing the quantity. For that particular dog, a slow introduction (not transition) seems to be suitable. However, if it doesn’t suit, friend can give Nature’s Menu Country Hunter wet food. The dog has their raw food and the two recipes are similar.

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: Feb 09, 2018, 16:50 »
Sorry for the late reply, I did receive an answer this morning but I've been our all day and only just sat down to write this.

Prins vet advised that, in their opinion, it's fine to change straight over from raw to pressed and there isn't any reason why a instant change should cause any significant or long term stomach problems. As when changing between any foods there is always the possibility of some minor stomach issues for a day or so as your dog becomes accustomed to the new food. If you choosing to change over straight away it's even more important than normal to make sure your dog has plenty of fresh drinking water as they're likely to drink more in the short term to compensate for the lack of moisture in pressed kibble as opposed to raw.

Prins other suggestion was to alternate meals for a few days - raw in the morning and then pressed in the afternoon or vice versa.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:25 »
Just a follow up regarding our switch to cold pressed:

We switched our Labrador from Autarky grain free to Forthglade CP grain free. In the interest of clarity I should also add that we have added Forthglade wet grain free (1/3 tray) to her food both morning and night since we started with Autarky. We considered the comments about switching over in this thread and eventually decided (because she is used to different flavours and she gets the wet food) to switch all at once. All food she gets is weighed precisely. One morning we swapped the food and........absolutely nothing changed. The change was totally seamless. Output changed colour a bit but was much the same. She absolutely loves the food and enthusiastically eats it all down and Im left wondering now whether we need the wet food at all!

Subjectively she has appeared to have more energy, she is ten years old+ and yesterday she was chasing a whippet round a field!

Interestingly Forthglade have now said this new CP grain free is made in the Netherlands. I wonder by whom?

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:45 »
Interestingly Forthglade have now said this new CP grain free is made in the Netherlands. I wonder by whom?

That's interesting but not a surprise to me - I know that some months ago Forthglade approached a large pressed food manufacturer in the Netherlands to produce their pressed food but this manufacturer doesn't produce private labels so declined.

Could you tell me how you found this out as their website is still stating that their pressed food is made in Germany.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:55 »
Forthglade made an announcement yesterday on their Facebook page. Somebody asked them if it was still made in Germany like their other range and they answered " our grain free range of cold pressed recipes are made in Holland, by a team of like-minded dog lovers dedicated to the natural nutrition of your four-legged friend".

I had assumed it was manufactured by you but obviously not!

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:03 »
Astranine - thank you very much for letting us know about the transition the cold pressed food. It is heartening to hear how well your elderly dog is doing on his new diet. 

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:05 »
Forthglade made an announcement yesterday on their Facebook page. Somebody asked them if it was still made in Germany like their other range and they answered " our grain free range of cold pressed recipes are made in Holland, by a team of like-minded dog lovers dedicated to the natural nutrition of your four-legged friend".

I had assumed it was manufactured by you but obviously not!

Thank you for that. I'll ask some questions and see if I can find out who's producing it but it's definitely not Prins.

xx
Concern with Cold Pressed food

Started by Lottie

4 Replies
Last post Jun 03, 2019, 20:04
by Lottie
xx
Lukullus cold pressed dog food

Started by All_about_Chutney

5 Replies
Last post Feb 12, 2016, 05:03
by Dottie