Author Topic: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food  (Read 64407 times)

doggiefan100

• View Profile
Re: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food
« Reply #195 on: Feb 22, 2018, 19:53 »
Hi, I looked at a 1kg bag of the new grain free Forthglade cold pressed food in Sainsburys and the manufacturers code is NL15606 which is Jonkers in Holland. They also told me they are dropping their current cold pressed food which I think is made in Germany and are selling it at really crashed pricing to get rid of it. Would David please rate the new food as it looks really low quality to me. Really disturbing how they change suppliers like this.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Feb 23, 2018, 00:13 »
Hello doggiefan100 and welcome to the forum!

In addition to the cold pressed Forthglade foods that are already on the allaboutdogfood website, hopefully David will rate the Cold pressed "Chicken and Vegetables" and "Duck and vegetables" when he has spare time available ;).

Having briefly compared the cold pressed recipes of "Chicken and vegetables" to the "Chicken with brown rice" there are expected differences, and hopefully, dogs may encompass these recipes without issues. Yet for those dogs who do react to changes in their diet, it is worth being aware of different recipes, else we may be wondering why they are reacting. :o 

Having used the allaboutdogfood "instant Review Generator" here:
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/instant-dog-food-review.php 
..... the "Chicken and Vegetables Grain Free Cold Pressed Dry Dog Food" generated a score of 4.1 with 2 of the ingredients appearing in red highlights; also 'less than 30% meat on a dry matter basis' and 'some common allergy causing ingredients'. The "Chicken with Brown Rice Cold Pressed Dry Dog Food" generated a score of 4.7 with none of the ingredients in red highlights; also 'contains some cereal grains' and 'ingredients list is incomplete or unclear'.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:40 »
@doggiefan100 - hello and welcome to the forum. Thank you for the information - it is most useful. Not sure if this is the same company that you mention, but Jonker Pet Food website is here.  I agree about changing suppliers and customers need to made fully aware of this, especially if the packaging gives the appearance that it is exactly the same product.

There is another manufacturer of cold pressed food in  Nijverdal, Netherlands - Farm Food HE Classic. Company Website

The Forthglade offer is 30% off and can be found here.  Cold pressed food has a short shelf life and I am wondering if it is being reduced for that reason. Do you  think they will continue with cold pressed food but change supplier of the & brown rice range to the same one as the new grain free version?

Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

doggiefan100

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:18 »
Hi Dottie and thanks for your welcome to this forum.

Jonkers website does mention they do pressed foods and Farm Food has a terrible rating on here so a no-go.

Going back to FORTHGLADE and also the comments from Meg yesterday I have been checking a few facts which I can share on here....

I have a 30kg black lab and if I was to feed her on their new grain free cold pressed the costs are enormous. They recommend for a 30kg dog daily amount of feed at 446g per day. A 6kg bag sells for £34.99 so feeding my dog on this the bag will last 13 days. That works out at £2.69p per day!!!!! I currently feed a higher rated cold pressed food and that costs me £1.18p per day!! So over the year I would spend over £550 more using Forthglades food, I guess you all know my answer here!!! £550 will fund my 2 weeks holiday in Spain and my precious dog will actually eat a better food. Here I rest my case. regards

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:54 »
Hi, I looked at a 1kg bag of the new grain free Forthglade cold pressed food in Sainsburys and the manufacturers code is NL15606 which is Jonkers in Holland. They also told me they are dropping their current cold pressed food which I think is made in Germany and are selling it at really crashed pricing to get rid of it. Would David please rate the new food as it looks really low quality to me. Really disturbing how they change suppliers like this.

Why do you say it looks low quality? It looks  similar to other CP  foods to me. And the recommended daily feeding for a 30kg dog is 400g not 446g btw. Lets wait until David actually rates this food before rushing to judgement.

Out of interest what CP food do you feed?

doggiefan100

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Feb 23, 2018, 15:12 »
Sorry AstraNine if you go on the Forthglade website for a 3 to 7 year old 30kg dog the recommended daily feed is 446g per day!! Check it out.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Feb 23, 2018, 15:26 »
Sorry AstraNine if you go on the Forthglade website for a 3 to 7 year old 30kg dog the recommended daily feed is 446g per day!! Check it out.

See attached from back of bag.....

Now what CP do you feed?

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Feb 23, 2018, 15:36 »
Both grain free products on Forthglade's website return the same recommended feeding amount of 446 grams per day. I would imagine that the feeding guidelines on the packaging ranges from 400 to 495 grams depending on the activity levels of your dog.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Feb 23, 2018, 21:00 »
I was in Sainsbury's a few weeks ago and bought a 1kg bag of the duck grain free cold pressed food just to try. I checked the recipe first and thought it looked good. The nuggets seemed thinner in diameter and the food aroma was similar to the brown rice cold pressed food that I am used to. The girls were fine on the food - no problems. 

Composition::
Duck 32.5% (17.5% freshly prepared duck, 15% dried ground duck), sweet potato (28%), peas, gelatin, chicken fat, beet pulp (source of FPS), dried fruit (2.3%:apples, pears, blueberries, cranberries), brewer's yeast, salon oil (1%), dried botanicals (0.6%:fennel, nettle, dandelion), mannan-oligosaccharide (prebiotic), egg powder, chicory extract (source of FOS), dried seaweed, camomile, flaxseed oil, glucosamine (300mg/kg), chondroitin sulphate (300mg/kg), yucca.
Additives:
Nutritional additives: Vitamin A 18000IU, Vitamin D3 1800IU, Vitamin E 500mg, Vitamin C 200mg.
Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein 26%, Crude oils and fats 12%.

It scores 4.3 out of 5 stars but the Instant Review Generator is not always correct. I expect it will achieve a better score when inputted into the Dog Food Directory.

Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Feb 23, 2018, 23:20 »
When a company launches a new pet food product, in this age of growing internet reliance, through various online options which need  addressing, in addition to the PR involved and various launch platforms, on occasion there are likely to be areas of a website that may be overlooked. I wonder if this may be the case regarding the production changing from Germany to Holland.

Thus the statement on the website viz "We work very closely with a team of  like-minded dog lovers in Germany to produce our new range of cold pressed natural dry food for dogs" seems to relate to the older range of food namely the 'x named poultry with brown rice' which was made in Germany.

However, the users of the allaboutdogfood forum are on-the-ball  ;) - thankyou for letting us know AstraNine - as it seems the new range of cold pressed food, namely the 'x named poultry and vegetables' are being made in Holland.

Dog food ingredients that mention a total meat percentage followed in brackets by the % amounts of dry and amounts of wet, are somehow scoring 'differently' when using the allaboutdogfood Instant Review Generator.   It's worth pointing out that scores are slightly lower if that initial total amount is not mentioned. eg entering the ingredients: 17.5% freshly prepared duck, 15% dried ground duck, Sweet Potato (28%), Peas, Gelatin, Chicken Fat, Beet Pulp (source of FOS), Dried Fruit (2.3%: apples, pears, blueberries, cranberries), Brewer’s Yeast, Salmon Oil (1%), Dried Botanicals (0.6%: Fennel, Nettle, Dandelion), Mannan-oligosaccharide (prebiotic), Egg Powder, Chicory Extract (source of FOS), Dried Seaweed, Camomile, Flaxseed Oil, Glucosamine (300mg/kg), Chondroitin Sulphate (300mg/kg), Yucca,
 Omega-6 1.9%, Omega-3 0.45%, Calcium 1.5%, Phosphorus 0.9%, Vitamin A 18000IU, Vitamin D3 1800IU, Vitamin E 500mg, Vitamin C 200mg.
Trace elements (per kg): Cupric sulphate pentahydrate 10mg, Cupric chelate of glycine hydrate 5mg, Zinc sulphate monohydrate 100mg, Zinc chelate of glycine hydrate 50mg, Ferrous sulphate monohydrate 70mg, Ferrous chelate of glycine hydrate 35mg, Manganous oxide 50mg, Manganese chelate of glycine hydrate 25mg, Calcium iodate anhydrous 2mg, Sodium selenite 0.1mg. Contains natural antioxidants
generates a score of 4.1.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Feb 24, 2018, 00:07 »
Going back to FORTHGLADE and also the comments from Meg yesterday I have been checking a few facts which I can share on here....
I have a 30kg black lab .....  I currently feed a higher rated cold pressed food and that costs me £1.18p per day

Thanks for this further information, as that sounds to me like a reasonable price per day to feed (a 30kg dog) what is a higher rated cold pressed food,  and it may help others who are in a situation of wanting to find such a food for their dogs.

Using the allaboutdogfood Dog Food Directory here: https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory and changing the "Dog's Size" slider to 30kg, the "Type of food" as only Cold pressed and the "Rating" slider of 3.7 out of 5 stars,  the 6 results with cost per day in order of lowest cost first (another extremely useful ranking available to sort results by!) are as follows:
Markus Mühle Natural Dog Food 93p, Lupo Sensitive 20/8 96p, Lukullus Dry Dog Food 96p, Lupo Sensitive 24/10 96p, Markus Mühle Black Angus Adult £1.06p, Healthy Dog Wild Menu £1.17p.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:48 »
Thank you for these useful posts Meg. You must have spent a fair bit of time on this. The information that you have kindly provided will doubtless be of use to pet owners. I agree about website updates - the more complex the site, the easier it is to overlook things. Hopefully Forthglade will get on to that soon.

MM NaturNah is, (IMO) a real bargain, especially considering the quality. I have used it once and the dogs were fine on it but of course they are used to cold pressed food. I like to stick with my chosen brand though because I prefer the recipe. However, I feel that by and large, once a dog is accustomed to cold pressed food, barring intolerances it is alright to change flavours from time to time. I’ve read that some people alternate their dog’s cold pressed food.

Markus Muhle Red Deer Venison is now on the Dog Food Directory and is listed as 95p per day for a 15kg dog. It is available on Zooplus and possibly Bitiba. Personally, I find this name a bit odd because the lead ingredient is duck (18%) and the Venison is third on the list at 9.4%.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: Feb 24, 2018, 10:54 »
Markus Muhle was the first food I fed after my bag of food, provided  by the rescue centre was finished. My dog did really well on it. She had been thin and a bit smelly and greasy but she was a stray so that was probably due to  her time on the streets rather than the food she had been on at the rescue. She is also having lukullus now as it comes in handy smaller bags. For those opting for cold pressed, it is good to know that there are good affordable options.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Feb 24, 2018, 11:40 »
I noticed this video yesterday released by Forthglade on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdV_vKiocmg&index=2&list=LLJBHlxApyxXcXlTSLg2OjLQ

What is interesting is that the video shows yet another new product from Forthglade, a turkey and brown rice CP food. AFAIK this information has not yet been announced on their FB page or their website. At least as of now!

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Feb 24, 2018, 11:47 »

Using the allaboutdogfood Dog Food Directory here: https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory and changing the "Dog's Size" slider to 30kg, the "Type of food" as only Cold pressed and the "Rating" slider of 3.7 out of 5 stars,  the 6 results with cost per day in order of lowest cost first (another extremely useful ranking available to sort results by!) are as follows:
Markus Mühle Natural Dog Food 93p, Lupo Sensitive 20/8 96p, Lukullus Dry Dog Food 96p, Lupo Sensitive 24/10 96p, Markus Mühle Black Angus Adult £1.06p, Healthy Dog Wild Menu £1.17p.

Thanks for this. Its certainly true that the Forthglade CP grain free is expensive right now. Hopefully market forces may bring the price down over the next few months. However I may need to consider another cheaper brand until then!  The Lukullus looks good and in Barbary duck form seems to be grain free as well. Might spring for a small bag.

xx
Lukullus cold pressed dog food

Started by All_about_Chutney

5 Replies
Last post Feb 12, 2016, 05:03
by Dottie
question
Wilsons Cold Pressed Dog Food

Started by McvitieMcnuts

2 Replies
Last post Jan 27, 2019, 17:32
by McvitieMcnuts
xx
How to switch from dry extruded to cold pressed food

Started by Rila

11 Replies
Last post Feb 26, 2017, 21:37
by Dottie
xx
Cold pressed options in UK for dry complete food?

Started by Howlingbrown

1 Replies
Last post Sep 14, 2018, 20:46
by Dottie
xx
Storing cold pressed dog food non airtight

Started by LS25Lee

20 Replies
Last post Feb 06, 2016, 18:36
by LS25Lee