Author Topic: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food  (Read 66938 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Markus Muhle and other cold pressed dog food
« Reply #210 on: Feb 24, 2018, 11:51 »
Well spotted AstraNine - thank you for the information.  :) The company seems to be going forward apace with their range of cold pressed products. Looking forward to seeing the ingredient list for the turkey variety. I have been disappointed that MM haven’t produced one with turkey but there is probably a good reason.

I’ve looked at the Lukullus duck but not bought it as I am not sure whether white potato suits one of my dogs. However, it is only 12% with sweet potato balancing it out at 12%. Recipe seems good, especially for the price. Would be interested to hear how you get on with it.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Feb 24, 2018, 12:17 »
The Lukullus looks good and in Barbary duck form seems to be grain free as well. Might spring for a small bag.
I don't believe it is grain free. The ingredients list includes "rice seed" which I can only assume is a new way of saying rice as rice itself is a seed.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Feb 24, 2018, 12:40 »
The Lukullus looks good and in Barbary duck form seems to be grain free as well. Might spring for a small bag.
I don't believe it is grain free. The ingredients list includes "rice seed" which I can only assume is a new way of saying rice as rice itself is a seed.

Well spotted! Any other grain free recommendations?

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Feb 24, 2018, 12:50 »
We have a complete range of grain free pressed foods and then there is of course Guru and Tribal however those foods are at a similar price point to Forthglade's grain free products.

Our adult grain free food is here:
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1736/prins-procare-sensible-grainfree

I notice from another thread that your dog is 10 years old. As a rough guide we usually say around 7-8 years old is when you need to look at moving to a senior food but that ultimately depends on the lifestyle of your dog - if she's still behaving like an adult dog then adult food is fine however if she's behaving like a senior dog then the senior food would be more advisable.

I'd be more than happy to send you a sample of either the adult or senior foods if you'd like.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Feb 24, 2018, 22:43 »
We are fortunate (thank you David) to have another option in the allaboutdogfood Dog Food Directory, enabling results listed for dog foods which do not contain grain. This is a useful feature to narrow down the overall results by using the filter called "Food Properties" and ticking the box next to the option "Grain free".

Using those options mentioned earlier ("Dog's Size"=30kg,  "Type of food"=Cold pressed, "Rating"= 3.7 out of 5 stars),  with the "Grain free" option the 6 results with cost per day in order of lowest cost first (another extremely useful ranking available to sort results by!) are as follows:

Lupo Sensitive 20/8 96p, Lupo Sensitive 24/10 96p, Healthy Dog Wild Menu £1.17p, Prins Procare Sensible Grainfree £1.22p, Guru Full On Feast £1.52p, Pure Dog Wholesome Meal In A Bag £1.67p

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:42 »
One other question to ask about CP food. We went grain free two years ago now (previously on Skinners Duck & Rice) and both our dogs are better for it. But are the CP foods with rice in them different to extruded food? The rice is thermally pretreated and then pressed so does that make it "better" than in extruded food? The question is do we need to remain on grain free with a CP food?

Carra-Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:00 »
One other question to ask about CP food. We went grain free two years ago now (previously on Skinners Duck & Rice) and both our dogs are better for it. But are the CP foods with rice in them different to extruded food? The rice is thermally pretreated and then pressed so does that make it "better" than in extruded food? The question is do we need to remain on grain free with a CP food?

Your dogs need for grain free kibble shouldn't differ whether the kibble has been extruded or pressed. Thermally pretreated is just a fancy way of saying cooked.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Feb 25, 2018, 13:54 »
On the Dog Food Directory try comparing Gentle with Skinners Duck and Rice. Gentle has 28% brown rice, Skinners 40%. In addition, Skinners has oats which brings the cereal content up a fair bit.  Perhaps your dog would be ok with just brown rice in this lower quantity. CP products also have more than one oil added and these are said to have a beneficial effect on skin and coat  health.

One of my dogs has had a skin problem. It was exacerbated by high cereal kibble. She has been on cold pressed food with brown rice for circa 2 years with no further issues. It might be due to the oils in the food but I don’t know for sure. However, all dogs are different. The only way to know if your dogs will be ok with brown rice in cold pressed food is to try it. Unfortunately the smallest bags are usually 5kg so it can be a bit pricey if it doesn’t suit.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Feb 25, 2018, 14:47 »
Thanks to both of you for all your great advice and wisdom.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Mar 03, 2018, 17:45 »

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:58 »
Quick update.

Looks like our CP phase has come to an end, she is now refusing to eat CP food completely. Its unusual for her as she is not a fussy dog. She continues to eat wet food OK and will eat kibble if covered in sardines! But no not the expensive CP food. Sigh   :(

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Mar 08, 2018, 12:30 »
Thank you for the feedback. It is a shame that your dog doesn’t care for cold pressed food. It is quite different to kibble and although many dogs like it (according to user reviews), it is not going to suit all. Did you try soaking it to make wet food?  Just thinking that it would then mix with something tasty to encourage your dog to eat it.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Mar 08, 2018, 13:12 »
Yup tried that. And mixed it all up with wet food. But all to no avail she prefers to go without, its so frustrating. Wish I could ask her what's the problem?

Still have four 1kg bags to use which may have to go to our younger male Lab who is a food machine.

AstraNine

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Mar 08, 2018, 13:18 »
Interestingly there's no hurry to use these bags as the best before date is 16th June 2019! So maybe we could revisit CP after a break. Always thought CP food had a short life span.....

question
Wilsons Cold Pressed Dog Food

Started by McvitieMcnuts

2 Replies
Last post Jan 27, 2019, 17:32
by McvitieMcnuts
xx
Concern with Cold Pressed food

Started by Lottie

4 Replies
Last post Jun 03, 2019, 20:04
by Lottie
xx
Lukullus cold pressed dog food

Started by All_about_Chutney

5 Replies
Last post Feb 12, 2016, 05:03
by Dottie
xx
Cold pressed options in UK for dry complete food?

Started by Howlingbrown

1 Replies
Last post Sep 14, 2018, 20:46
by Dottie
xx
Storing cold pressed dog food non airtight

Started by LS25Lee

20 Replies
Last post Feb 06, 2016, 18:36
by LS25Lee