Author Topic: Puppy food (2-3 months)  (Read 11318 times)

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy food (2-3 months)
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2016, 06:12 »
Well that is a shame. Of course, they may still come back to you - if so, do please let us know.

FYI, this year will see a comprehensive review of the algorithm we use for rating products. Currently, only the stated ingredients are taken into account but soon other factors including nutrient levels like calcium and phosphorus will also be reflected in the score.

MarioLuigi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2016, 13:17 »
Hi David. Thanks again for all your help and the information you have provided. Also, great news about the algorithm.

I just sent Akela another email. I do wonder if I'm not doing them justice based on the discussion on this thread, but on the other hand I find it a bit frustrating that they did not reply.

This is what I wrote them:

---------------------------

Hi,

Nearly a week ago I sent the email below and I have not received a reply.

I understand that it's not an email you receive all the time and it may be an inconvenience, but I would like to know whether what I described below is correct or whether there's something I'm not factoring in.

According to the calculations below, and the attached document, Akela original ('small paws') seems to have too much calcium for puppies. 'Small paws' is considered dog food for small dogs as well as puppies, according to the website. The fish and duck varieties seem to be fine for puppies over 14 weeks, but for less than 14, they too seem to have significantly more calcium than the max value recommended.

Are there factors not taken into consideration according to the calculations below? If so, what are they?

This, as well as whether I receive a satisfactory reply, will determine whether I remain a customer or not. Othen than this issue, I am actually very pleased with Akela, as my dogs love the food and the protein content is very high.

Thank you.

MarioLuigi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2016, 09:01 »
Akela has replied:

"Sorry for my delayed reply, we are very busy with shows at the moment. Like I have said before, the industry guidelines are not legal limits, they are only guidelines. The guidelines were drawn-up based on the cheaper (volume) end of the market where most foods are made of a majority of grain and other cheap fillers. Not all manufacturers' feeding guidelines are proportional to each other based on the kcal/100g figures. Many humans take supplements for themselves and their pets that far exceed recommended daily allowances, they are not gospel. Problems could only potentially occur in theory for giant breed dogs significantly overfed by their owners beyond our recommended feeding guidelines for prolonged periods of time. We recommend Fish Feast or Duck for anyone concerned (unnecessarily). There is really nothing to worry about with your small breed puppy. Feel free to contact the abundance of owners on our social media pages if you think I'm just biased. If you have any further questions please let us know though."

Akela WholePrey

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2016, 09:24 »
Apologies, there was a typo by us in that reply, it should read "giant breed puppies" not "giant breed dogs". For giant breed owners concerned about overfeeding, we state "for large breed adults" next to our description of the Bigs Paws Original kibble versus "for large breeds" for Fish Feast and Suffolk Duck. Giant Breeds would not usually eat small kibble which this question was about.

MarioLuigi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2016, 07:34 »
Hello. Thank you for the reply :)

matthew

• Retailer
  • Time is of essence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2016, 13:40 »
hey new puppy owner here also 8), the breeder told me to get royal canin.

But I'm reading thru posts and hopefully I find the right food for my dog also.

RHEBDEN

• Retailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2016, 15:53 »
For giant breeds the recommended levels of dietary calcium is 0.7 to 1.2% DM, and of phosphorus is 0.6% to 1.1% DM.

For smaller breeds the recommended levels of dietary calcium is 0.7 to 1.7% DM, and of phosphorus is 0.6% to 1.3% DM.

The lower levels of calcium and phosphorus for giant breeds reflect their sensitivity to these minerals for skeletal growth and development.

I have entered digestible matter so that each food can be worked back to what the dog actually gets out of the food.

Lablover

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2016, 13:25 »
Quick reply as off out but I breed labs and would never bring them up on Akela or any other 'any age' food because of the calcium/phosphorus/vitamin D ratios. The vitamin D is important as calcium can't be processed without it.

I start them off on raw minced beef but soon switch them to a large breed puppy food with the correct ratios, I usually look for one that has 1.2/1 ratio or very close. I used to bring them up solely on raw but it took a *lot* of work making sure it was right and when they left me I had nightmares that their new families wouldn't do it properly so I don't anymore as it's not worth the stress! Not much point getting bva X-rays done on mum and choosing the healthiest stud when it can all be undone by bad feeding during their growth period!

It's still important for smaller breeds just not 'as' important as the growth rate will be slower as they don't eat as much, lab pups for example go from an average of 454g at birth to 6 or even 7kg at 8 weeks!

Must get going xx

xx
Dry Puppy Food for over active puppy 3 months old

Started by Drake

4 Replies
Last post Nov 17, 2019, 19:21
by Tinyplanets
xx
Puppy chew... for 3 months old.

Started by Grey

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2017, 12:02