It seems to me that recently there has been a rising number of good quality wet foods for dogs. Has anyone else noticed it or am I imagining it?
Anyway, I quite like feeding wet food, the reasons being:* They are less processed than extruded, some of them being steamed.
* They sometimes come in mixed varieties so the dog can have a change of protein without too much risk of upsetting them.
* Recipes are often simple, which makes them useful for dogs with intolerances.
* They are often quite tasty so can be good for fussy eaters.
Here is a bit about my experience of this type of food:* Weight gain - in the past when I gave a quality wet food I came a cropper because the dogs piled weight on although I was feeding less than the RDA. Looking back, I didn't get it right because I sometimes added a bit of terrier biscuit meal for crunch and I shouldn't have done that. Of course these products tend to have a high protein and fat so it is important to give exactly the correct amount if the dog has a tendency to weight gain.
* More recently I fed a different type, but good quality wet food and didn't have the same weight gain problems. The only trouble was that I was spending a lot of money, even buying it online so I had to stop as it was simply too expensive. I was also getting through a lot of packaging, some of which was not recyclable.
* I'm currently trying another wet food but only for a change - just one tray per week. The product is on offer at the local supermarket right now so that might not continue once it is back at the usual price. The trays are recyclable. I'm marginally tempted to continue this type but again, it will be expensive and my dogs do very well on their current food so I do not want to rock the boat.
Looking at some of the products, they seem to almost match raw in that many are low carb, high meat content and fat, the difference being that they are cooked. In that sense, they are perhaps useful for pet owners who would like to feed a raw diet but cannot for one reason or another.
What do you think about wet food? Do you use it regularly, just as a treat, as a topper or perhaps never?