Author Topic: Supermarket sold dog food.  (Read 2617 times)

COASTER

• View Profile
Supermarket sold dog food.
« on: Jul 12, 2016, 17:43 »
I know that many pet food retailers happily sell poor quality dog food, however, i occasionally find myself in so called supermarkets &/or local convenience stores having a look at dog food products &/or their compositions.

Some of the products are shocking......The cost of feeding such rubbish is often  dearer than feeding far better alternatives. Many folk buy these products without a consideration, however, I have seen customers seemingly scrutinise labelling before looking proud of themselves before placing these items into their baskets/troliies often alongside relatively high cost human food items.

My time is precious to me but this does make me raise the questions.....

What can reponsible feeders do to change this ?

Other than ignorance & convenience.....Why do people make these purchase decisions ?

Other than margins & bulk wholesale availability......Why don't these stores also sell better quality dog foods ?

Any other thoughts or comments welcomed.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarket sold dog food.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2016, 19:22 »
I do wonder often, why supermarkets don't stock better foods for dogs. It was apparent very quickly to me, that I wasn't going to be able to shop there for food and that was when I didn't know anything about anything dog related.

I don't know why but lots of people seem to switch off when talking about food. Probably a good indication of the power of advertising.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2016, 08:16 »
I was pleasantly surprised to see that my local Morrisons has started to sell Forthglade.  Don't know if it is a sign of things to come but I doubt it, not least because of the lack of storage space.  I am dismayed every time I see someone with big bags of cheap dog food in their trolleys.   :(
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2016, 18:30 »
Very good questions but no easy answers. Lily's Kitchen is available at Tesco's but never seen it in our store, also at Ocado. Nutriment is also available at Ocado.

Bobbys dad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 19:36 »
Waitrose does Lilly's kitchen and Arden grange

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 20:16 »
Sainsbury's are to launch a range of hypoallergenic pet food which should be in the stores by the end of January.
http://www.overthecounter.news/news/sainsburys-to-target-430-million-healthy-and-hypoallergenic-pet-food-market.html

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 17:19 »
Somebody behind me in the queue in Tesco had Naturo wet food in their Trolley. I looked on the directory and it has a good rating.

xx
Certain cat foods sold in Switzerland might be causing cancer

Started by Seaweed

0 Replies
Last post Dec 21, 2018, 08:48
by Seaweed
xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

3 Replies
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 10:13
by dozemi
xx
All about our dog's DRY food -What type of DRY food are you feeding nowadays ?

Started by Meg

19 Replies
Last post Sep 09, 2019, 19:45
by Pam501
xx
Help find dog food using packaging as an aid? - so how is your dog food packed?

Started by Meg

7 Replies
Last post Sep 20, 2017, 22:13
by Meg
xx
Food is Food? Apparently wrong.

Started by Shadowman12

4 Replies
Last post Nov 22, 2015, 19:46
by LS25Lee