Poll

Which of these form the core of your dog's diet?

Aatu
3 (1.1%)
Acana
14 (5.1%)
Applaws
7 (2.5%)
Arden Grange
4 (1.4%)
Autarky
2 (0.7%)
Bakers
3 (1.1%)
Barking Heads
5 (1.8%)
Burns
6 (2.2%)
Butternut Box
1 (0.4%)
Canagan
7 (2.5%)
Chappie
1 (0.4%)
CSJ
3 (1.1%)
Devoted
1 (0.4%)
Eden
26 (9.4%)
Eukanuba
0 (0%)
Fish4Dogs
4 (1.4%)
Forthglade
3 (1.1%)
Gentle
8 (2.9%)
Guru cold pressed
1 (0.4%)
Harringtons
3 (1.1%)
Hills
2 (0.7%)
home cooked food
10 (3.6%)
Husse
0 (0%)
Iams
0 (0%)
James Wellbeloved
5 (1.8%)
Lily's Kitchen
6 (2.2%)
Lukullus
8 (2.9%)
Markus Muhle
9 (3.2%)
Millies Wolfheart
12 (4.3%)
My Mad Dog
0 (0%)
Natural Dog Food Company
1 (0.4%)
Natural Instinct
9 (3.2%)
Naturea
0 (0%)
Naturediet
5 (1.8%)
Natures Menu
21 (7.6%)
Nutriment
13 (4.7%)
Orijen
11 (4%)
Pedigree
3 (1.1%)
Pet shop own-brand
1 (0.4%)
Platinum
5 (1.8%)
Pro Plan
1 (0.4%)
Purizon
2 (0.7%)
raw food - home prepared
18 (6.5%)
Royal Canin
1 (0.4%)
Simpsons
8 (2.9%)
Skinners
7 (2.5%)
Supermarket own-brand
1 (0.4%)
Symply
2 (0.7%)
Taste of the Wild
1 (0.4%)
Vets Kitchen
1 (0.4%)
Wagg
2 (0.7%)
Wainwrights
10 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 157

Author Topic: The big question: What do you feed?  (Read 30533 times)

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The big question: What do you feed?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:46 »
Sorry, none of those. I feed on Husse and I'm very impressed.

It's now on the list. Many thanks!

Eden Holistic Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
    • Eden Pet Foods
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2014, 23:54 »
A couple of people I shared the link with on FB are telling me they aren't getting the confirmation email when they try and register. The site was down for a time yesterday, is there still a problem?

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:26 »
A couple of people I shared the link with on FB are telling me they aren't getting the confirmation email when they try and register. The site was down for a time yesterday, is there still a problem?

Hi David. There does seem to be some issue with registering. While some members are able to register and log in without a hitch, some never receive the activation email and some can't even get past the registration page in the first place. I will continue to look for a solution today. Please apologise to your FB friends for me. The site being down on Friday was an unrelated issue with our host - apparently quite a few of their sites went down. They say they have fixed it now.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2014, 12:47 »
As mentioned in this thread I agree with Schnauday's comment: "The problem is most participating in it already have an interest in what food to feed so you'd expect grain free, raw, home prepared to be slightly on the higher side."  
I suspect that if the poll was done with the dog owning population at large the results would be very different.  Many of us are interested in dog food  so that might skew the results.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Schnauday

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2014, 13:21 »
As mentioned in this thread I agree with Schnauday's comment: "The problem is most participating in it already have an interest in what food to feed so you'd expect grain free, raw, home prepared to be slightly on the higher side."  
I suspect that if the poll was done with the dog owning population at large the results would be very different.  Many of us are interested in dog food  so that might skew the results.

Oh dear I'm having a bad day. I thought I'd posted that reply on this thread  ::) Never mind it fits on both threads ;D

Just in the short time I've owned a dog and participating in forums I've noticed the shift to raw. I have to admit I'd never really thought about dog food quality and went along with what the breeder recommended. Of course he came home with the advertising puppy pack from Royal canin with freebies and I was taken in.

I then found out about raw from forums, which to tbh I'd never heard of before. The poll is making very interesting viewing. The problem is most participating in it already have an interest in what food to feed so you'd expect grain free, raw, home prepared to be slightly on the higher side.
Mini Schnauzer Mum

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2014, 13:31 »

Absolutely. In the real world, Nestle and Mars make up around 70% of the market with Bakers and Pedigree the nation's two favourite foods  :( This poll is more an indication of what more enlightened dog owners are feeding and I think it provides a very useful insight for people that are moving from the former group into the latter.

I'm also planning on keeping the poll going indefinitely and since we can add as many options as are necessary and we can all change our votes as we try new things, I think it will give a unique view of developing and declining market trends.

j.r. Mcewan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2014, 16:48 »
I use Vets Kitchen food and don't see it on the list

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:19 »
I use Vets Kitchen food and don't see it on the list

I've just added it to the list. Thanks for letting me know.

telles

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:45 »
Hi David,

I feed my dog Sam with a Naturea which I find absolutely excellent. The only problem is that it is not your list?

Thanks,
Telles

flin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2014, 10:06 »
Hi I feed my two on My Mad Dog,  Chicken and Rice Premium ...Its hypoallergenic and they did like it at first ..

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:48 »
Apologies Telles and Flin, somehow missed your posts. I've added those two brands to the list so please cast your vote whenever you get the chance. Many thanks!

Supawpetfoods

• Retailer
  • Purveyor of the finest foods and treats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2015, 00:43 »
Orijen all the way baby! In fact, I am so confident and proud of the food that I sell it myself. Canagan and Orijen are the only two dog foods I stock.
Free dog food and treat samples!

tabelmabel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 19:41 »
The natural dog food company. It's the only food I've fpund that stops my dog itching and he likes it too. It's perfect for him!

pippas_people

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2016, 17:16 »
Our 5 month old Border Terrier is currently on both varieties of Forthglade puppy, and all three varieties of Akela small paws. For treats we normally offer her the Akela 80/20 fish treats which are hoovered up very happily.
I found out about both these products through this site and she seems really happy with them.

She loves Salmon skins too!

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2016, 00:37 »
We have two dogs....

Currently one working line dog is fed Akela Fish Feast (big paws) 80/20 dry extruded kibble - the other (smaller dog that takes relatively less drinking water) is currently fed Wainwrights wet complete trays.

I haven't voted as first food not listed in the poll & even if it was I am not sure how or if I could vote twice for two dogs on different foods

Just for the record I feed Akela Fish dry extruded kibble for various reasons....... I wanted my working line Lab to have  grain free, (to reduce anal gland issues), maize free (to reduce loose output), also wanted white potato free & relatively low simple carb levels (on back of alleged non-industry comments that reducing simple carb levels may reduce energy source that feeds mast cell tumours). I also wanted higher omega 6 than 3 (similar reasons).  Not cheapest but I could  pay more for what I feel are worse or no better foods.

The Wainwrights trays are good value and have a good rating here.... Also relatively low levels of simple carbs.

I value decent foods & customer service, however, I do not have fixed brand loyalties &  (in a changing industry that should benefit from healthy competition), am always looking at differing products, food types, composition & customer experiences  (mine & others).

xx
Silly question, but how do you feed raw carrots to clean teeth?

Started by Alfiesmum

3 Replies
Last post Mar 30, 2015, 00:38
by Supawpetfoods
xx
Hello and yet another puppy food question!

Started by elastic

2 Replies
Last post Jun 11, 2016, 16:00
by Tinyplanets
xx
Cheap but good quality dry kibble question.

Started by silverb19

6 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 23:29
by COASTER
xx
Regency feeds dog food question, composition inside...

Started by Wizzi07

4 Replies
Last post Nov 30, 2017, 20:33
by COASTER
grin
Raw feed

Started by Leameyp

8 Replies
Last post Jun 19, 2017, 07:19
by Dottie