Poll

What do you mainly feed your dog nowadays ?

Dry complete food only
8 (20%)
Home made diet
4 (10%)
Mostly dry complete +some home made
2 (5%)
Mostly dry complete +some raw +some wet complete
2 (5%)
Mostly dry complete +some raw food
2 (5%)
Mostly dry complete +some table scraps
0 (0%)
Mostly dry complete +some wet complete
6 (15%)
Mostly home made +some dry complete
1 (2.5%)
Mostly raw +some dry complete +some home made
4 (10%)
Mostly raw +some dry complete +some table scraps
1 (2.5%)
Mostly raw +some dry complete food
1 (2.5%)
Mostly raw +some dry mixer
0 (0%)
Mostly table scraps
0 (0%)
Mostly wet complete +some dry complete
4 (10%)
Mostly wet complete +some dry mixer
0 (0%)
Raw food only
4 (10%)
Vegan diet
0 (0%)
Vegetarian diet
0 (0%)
Wet complete food only
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: What do you mainly feed your dog nowadays ?  (Read 9471 times)

Meg

• View Profile
Re: What do you mainly feed your dog nowadays ?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2017, 13:36 »
Thanks very much for your help David - glad you like the poll  8)

Everyone please vote if you'd like to, and you can now change your vote if you want to and if there is an option missing from the poll please say.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:48 »
There is a lot of choice there - just wish we had had more votes and discussion. As an aside, it might be of some use to say why we have chosen our particular method of feeding.  I give a non extruded dry food which has a mid range protein/low(ish) fat because in the past I have had to diet my dogs. The food has a higher than average carbohydrate level so I top up with home made foods to increase the protein such as cooked chicken, fish etc. Seems to work ok.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:14 »
I feed a coarse raw complete most of the time with the odd meal a finer complete raw. It suits my dog, he enjoys it immensely. To see a dog enjoy his food and go back and lick the bowel is a joy. It gives the opportunity of feeding different flavours daily, plus seasonal partridge, pheasant etc. I do like moisture in dog food it keeps a dogs system hydrated for all those vital organs. Dogs like humans probably don't drink enough. I realise it is not for everyone and of course there is the freezer aspect. I do wish people would take a few moments to vote, Meg puts a lot of thought into her posts including setting up the recent polls. I'm sure followers of the forum can do better than 9 votes out of 404 reads (2355 total members), so I do encourage you to support the forum and vote.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2017, 16:07 »
Thank you Dottie and seaweed,  and your encouragement to vote is appreciated too.

I'm hopeful this poll may prove helpful by sharing the information, to all. For example a dog owner may read what food is successfully being fed together with what other food; and why a dog is being given that particular food.

All votes are much appreciated, and helpful. Thanks to those who've already voted and to those who vote in future.

comet zack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2017, 12:45 »
 Two of my dogs have either canned or fresh meat with Foldhill Baked Terrier meal my third dog who has a sensitive digestive system has either Chappie canned or home cooked chicken, rice and veg.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2017, 13:00 »
The poll is currently set to allow a maximum of 1 vote per forum member and I wonder if this may warrant changing. So please say if anyone would find the poll more helpful if the amount of per member voting is increased ?

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2017, 14:28 »
I have changed my vote again! My dog has been steadily gaining weight on her usual diet. She doesn't want to go out as much as she used so I feel the mostly raw diet may be not as suitable as it was when she was more active. I am feeding her whatever we have for her evening meal, minus sauces and spices. She is having half her raw meal in the morning mixed with oatmeal made with water. Still the occasional meal of cold pressed food too.

I hope home made is the correct categorisation. I am assuming that table scraps are a bit more random whereas I will be attempting to balance evening meals between veg, protein and a healthy carb source.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2017, 16:47 »
Please everyone freely change your vote as often as you wish, if you'd want the poll to reflect a current diet you may be feeding.

It's great to have the poll being used,  plus any extra information in the replies is really helpful for everyone to read.

Thank you all very much.

Anita...

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2017, 16:35 »
Mostly home made, odd tin Lilys Kitchen mixed with Mc Adams. Raw chicken wing and marrow bone through the week. Voted.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 03, 2017, 12:03 »
Like Tinyplanets, I have had a little tweak to my dogs' diet since the poll began.  This is because one of them has a tendency to gain weight and had put on about 400g - doesn't sound a lot but it shows on a little dog and I wanted to nip it in the bud.

In the past I found that a home cooked meal in the middle of the day helped, with their dry complete reduced by 25%. The home cooked is 50% lean protein (chicken/fish etc) and 50% veg (I include a few blueberries in that figure).  Last time I tried this I used to add sweet potato but this time I am omitting it as they have it in their commercial food and this has enough carbohydrate anyway. 

I think it is always useful to keep a close watch on our dogs, particularly weight wise, and tweak their diet accordingly. Some dogs will be on the same food for a long time with no changes needed but others might need their food to be tweaked somewhat.   

According to what I have read on a Facebook group for home cooking, when replacing some commercial food with home cooked, it is best not to exceed the figure of 25% or thereabouts in order to maintain sufficient calcium.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2017, 17:58 »
Changing your votes to accurately portray your changing foods is appreciated, thanks.  ;)

DeclanjjWhelan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2017, 18:12 »
My first post on the forum - I just joined today and would like to thank you for a great post. I intend to be nice and active  :)

I am a home cooker at heart. I have alternated between that and a company that does it for you which I have found very useful.

My only concern when I home cook is the potential deficiencies that can occur due to the potential lack of mineral, nutrients and vitamins. I know adding in some ground up egg shell can help.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2017, 18:41 »
It's unusual to have someone on the forum who home cooks for their dogs.  As this form of feeding interests both Tinyplanets and myself, it would be good to hear more about your methods/recipes. As you see, we have a home cooking section but it is not updated very much.   :(   

I give my dogs some home cooked food but not exclusively - I still use commercial food as a fail safe, particularly as I don't want to short change them on calcium.  There is a lot of information about calcium on the Home Cooked Diets for Dogs Facebook group.  It is important to get the ratio of calcium and phosphorous correct.  They have plenty of fact sheets about this and other supplements.  I read that it is OK to reduce the usual amount of commercial food by no more than 25% in order to top up with home cooked - that should not affect the calcium too much.  This is what I have been doing and the dogs look really well on it.

Home Cooking for Dogs is another FB group with lots of information.

DeclanjjWhelan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2017, 14:14 »
I just want to keep up to date with all that is happening in the dog food space so this seems like the best forum for me to be on!

I am actually thinking about moving over to butternut box full time as it is very time consuming the preparation at home.

I will get more active on the home cooking section - it would be great to know how much time people actually spend preparing and where do they source most of their recipes from.

Thank you for all of the information on the calcium also. I have found egg shells are a good way of getting calcium back into to the diet as well.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 30, 2017, 17:20 »
Thanks DeclanjjWhelan, and how lovely to hear the allaboutdogfood forum is the best for you!   8)

Your voting in the polls is much appreciated, and your helpful post and if you decide to use Butternut box please let us know how you progress as this too will help others who may be wanting to change foods.

It's great to have the poll being used,  plus any extra information in the replies is really helpful for everyone to read.

Thank you all very much.

xx
All about our dog's DRY food -What type of DRY food are you feeding nowadays ?

Started by Meg

18 Replies
Last post Sep 14, 2018, 17:07
by Howlingbrown
xx
How much to feed your Dog (Raw)

Started by Seaweed

1 Replies
Last post Jun 18, 2017, 18:19
by Meg
grin
Raw feed