Author Topic: Which food to use for 8 week old staffador  (Read 511 times)

Simmo930

• View Profile
Which food to use for 8 week old staffador
« on: Dec 21, 2017, 20:33 »
Hi everyone,

I’ve been searching through here and other websites looking for the best food to give a staffador to ensure the best start in life. There’s a lot of general advice but no specific guidance on what’s best to start. Could someone please help advise:

Is wet food or dry food best? Or combination of both?
Which type of food would you recommend? I’m currently considering the Millie’s brand as this has high ratings.
How long can I use the recommendation (just for puppies or can use through adulthood too)?

Staffador pup is 8 weeks, no illnesses known, when ready to go out will be kept active with me.

Thank you for any advice.

Luke

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Which food to use for 8 week old staffador
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:34 »
Hello and welcome to the forum. There is no ‘best’ food, mainly because all dogs are different in their needs. We have thread here which gives an outline of what to look for when choosing a product.

Dry extruded food is popular but there are other types - baked, cold pressed,  raw and wet.

It is useful to learn a bit about nutrition as a good diet will go a long way to keeping your dog well and healthy. You mention Millie’s Wolfheart and this would be a good choice, not least because if it is a non life stage product you would not need to change food as your puppy grows into adulthood. It would be best to contact MWH helpline in order to discuss and choose the most suitable one.  If you choose dry food, you will need to soak it in warm water for a little while - at least until pup can manage the kibble in dry form.

Regarding mixing dry and wet, some people do this to add variety and for flavour. It can be useful for ‘picky’ dogs. However, dry complete foods shouldn’t need anything adding. If you do use wet as a topper, remember to reduce the amount of kibble.

If you need any help using the Dog Food Directory, please ask.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

COASTER

• View Profile
Re: Which food to use for 8 week old staffador
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:56 »
Keeping it simple.....if you want to feed a Dry extruded kibble then Millies Wolfheart offer well rated foods,offer  good variety & provide good customer service). I would urge you to call  Mark on the customer service number if you have doubts re which one to try 1st.

If you want to consider other branded feeding solutions read on......(I have not mentioned home cooked but some are very happy feeding this).

3 decisions to be made.....

1. Food type

Pros and Cons with all.

Dry extruded - Widely available, keeps well once open (ideally store in airtight container). Some concerns re loss of nutritional value when baked at high temps. Huge choice out there but quality varies hugely between brands/products. Some prefer to feed grain free dry extruded others see value in rice based products. Lots of rubbish out there so many are far better than others.

Wet complete - Long shelf life without need to chill. Dogs often prefer texture & flavour. The fact it can be stored for months unopened means significant use of preservatives. Costs more than many dry extruded kibbles to feed daily ...obviously more so with larger dogs.

Cold pressed - Prepared at lower temp than dry extruded kibbles & allegedly retains nutritional ingredients better because of it. Importantly it breaks down in gut faster than dry extruded kibbles....worth considering for deep chested breeds that can be more prone to bloat. A good halfway point between raw and dry extruded. Bags ideally  need to be kept in a dry place without damp, excess heat  or condensation. Reckoned Carb levels can allegedly be high as ingredients used to help form the kibbles/pellets can often include potato flakes or mineral clay.

Air dried / Freeze dried : Not relevant to most as not cost effective as a daily feed.....typically but not always used as treats.

Raw complete : Once defrosted arguably best way to provide closest to feeding fresh meat bone & veg. Not cheap a 25kg active adult dog will typically cost from £1.50 a day to feed using a 500g tray a day (feeding 2% of bodyweight daily). Savings can be made if prepared  to make up own raw meals by DIY approach but time effort involved plus handling raw meat & sometimes animal parts depending how committed you are. Some risks to vulnerable humans from handling or contacting raw meat.....common sense applies albeit not ideal if your kids put hands in dog bowl or dogs lick kids faces etc. A pretty pure basic & good way to feed a dog in my opinion.

2. Brand

Once you decide on food type you will want to look at various brands. An absolute minefield. Quality & ingredients can vary as many brand names cater for various budgets & needs. Some brands offer low budget solutions at one end of scale & more premium products  at other end.....all under same banner brand name.  You can buy poorer quality foods of all types.

3. Flavour/protein source

Chicken, fish, beef, etc. (intolerances can affect dogs as well as humans).

Despite all the above....suitability is key. You could spend a significant amount on a well rated product with what may seem to be a great ingredient list, however, that same product  might not suit another dog far better than yours. There are overpriced products that I would reject over cheaper to feed foods.

xx
Deal of the week

Started by Dottie

69 Replies
Last post Dec 03, 2018, 15:02
by pippas_people
clip
Murphy, 10.5 week old pointer

Started by Bears2017

5 Replies
Last post Apr 16, 2017, 17:28
by COASTER
clip
8 week old bedlington terrier

Started by Spikey

11 Replies
Last post Nov 11, 2015, 12:42
by Dottie
xx
10 week old puppy very hyper what to feed please help!

Started by davelympany

5 Replies
Last post Mar 07, 2017, 10:29
by davelympany
xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

3 Replies
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 10:13
by dozemi