Author Topic: Healthy dental chews?  (Read 9761 times)

gemma

• View Profile
Re: Healthy dental chews?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2021, 15:53 »
I'm very glad you mentioned that, Dottie, because it's something I have considered in the past, so I'd welcome your advice. Which one did you buy? I've just watched a YouTube video advocating Emmipet and it says it takes about 3 minutes each side, which seems a very long time for a dog to tolerate? I wonder if dogs can hear them even if no sound is detectable to humans, which would put her against it.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2021, 17:53 »
I bought the Emmi Pet because it was the only one that I knew of. I am aware of a groomer who has another make but can't remember the name. I researched it first by joining the Facebook group and bought it from the person who runs it.  She provides the back up and support which is essential. I would always recommend that people do this rather than buying direct because it is a lot of money to spend and you therefore want to get the best out of it.

The three minutes each side on the video  is probably because when switched on it is timed for six minutes then you have to switch it back on again if you want to continue. The actual time needed depends on the state of your dog's mouth and it's level of tolerance. There is no brushing required, you just dip the head in water, apply the toothpaste and hold the brush against the teeth. When the tartar is loosened they recommend using the supplied rosewood sticks to flick it off. The unit is silent and some people think it isn't doing anything but it needs to be silent so that it does not alarm the dog.  If the dog has a lot if plaque and tartar it might take some time to shift so you have to be patient and persevere with it. It's not a quick fix such as you get with a dental treatment at the vet surgery. In some cases, if they are really dirty, it might be best to have a dental treatment first.

I now use it for about six minutes (three minutes either side) on each dog but with dirtier teeth you can use it for longer. My dogs have learned to tolerate it and although they would probably prefer it if I didn't bother, once they are having their treatment they are alright.

If you are unsure whether your dog will tolerate it you can easily just concentrate on one or two teeth each day, which should not take long - maybe a minute or two.  Eventually they will be OK with it when they realise that it is not uncomfortable. It is easier than a traditional toothbrush because all you have to do it hold it against the teeth and gums, not actually brush them.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

gemma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2021, 12:47 »
Thanks for taking the time to give all that valuable information, Dottie, and I'm now very tempted to buy one, My only reservation is about their toothpaste - do you use it? I am quite concerned about some of the ingredients.  I've only had a very quick look, but have found "Sodium c-14-16 Olefin Sulfonate has links to organ system toxicity and Disodium Pyrophosphate can lead to kidney stones".

Perhaps that is the only toothpaste that can be used in order to create a foam, but I'd be much happier using a more natural product, although I admit to being paranoid, as I investigate every single ingredient I don't know about in everything she has.

Apart from that, I think it's worth giving it a try, although it does annoy me that virtually everything for dogs is far more expensive than the human equivalent.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2021, 13:39 »
AFAIK they only recommend that particular toothpaste but you could ask on the FB group. You don't need to use very much and they emphasise the use of water (dipping the brush in it) as much as the toothpaste. They tend to lick the toothpaste but I looked at a YouTube video on a similar product and she recommended pushing the toothpaste down into the bristles. I thought it was a good idea because then they cannot lick it so much. Have a good look at the various FB pages before you buy so that you can be sure it is what you want.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

gemma

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2021, 14:27 »
Thanks, Dottie, I'll do that.

Bobbys dad

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:58 »
My vet recommended carrots as a dental chew. She said the common types are high in calories, carrots do just as well and are better for the dog.

Seems to work too.

gemma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2021, 13:25 »
Chewroots is something I've just discovered. Looks like a gnarled piece of wood, but is made from tree roots. Unlike wood, it doesn't splinter and just flakes off in small pieces when vigorously chewed. They say it's 100% natural & it's ok if the bits are eaten. My dog likes it & I think it's far preferable to rubber dental toys because of the toxic chemicals in most of them.

xx
How to Pick Best Dental Chews

Started by Dottie

0 Replies
Last post Jun 12, 2020, 22:13
by Dottie
xx
How to Keep Your Brachycephalic Dog Happy & Healthy

Started by Seaweed

0 Replies
Last post Sep 26, 2020, 18:01
by Seaweed