Author Topic: Dust and storage mite allergies  (Read 20521 times)

George

• View Profile
I've used diatomaceous earth for several years now.

I use it primarily as a natural wormer, far safer than the chemical variety and I've found it to be very effective; I have a worm count done every 2 months and all have been clear for all the time I have been using it, even when my last dogs managed to pick up fleas. The Little Cav gets one teaspoon stirred into his breakfast every morning, a large dog needs a tablespoon or more.

I've also used it to clear a mild flea infestation by rubbing it into the dogs' coats every 2 or 3 days and sprinkling it in their beds and on rugs - doubt it would have worked if I'd had carpets for them to lurk in, but I don't and it did work.

And I take a tablespoon a day myself too, and find I feel much better for it; better digestion, increased energy, and better sleep.

As you may have guessed by now, I'm a fan.

It's important to make sure you only use food grade diatomaceous earth around dogs, even if you're only using it as a insecticide. This is the one I buy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A49Z9CQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have heard of cases of diatomaceous earth getting rid of harvest mites, but don't quite see how it could be used for storage mites since they would be actually in the food.

Pegasus

• Retailer
    • View Profile
Good feedback thanks George! I was thinking sprinkling around the food as the initial thread says she thought the mites were getting into the food as the food was left down all day - I can't see it being in the food as extruded kibble is made using high temperatures and the bags are gas flushed and sealed. (and I've been in the biggest dog food manufacturers premises and it is 'human' grade hygienic)
I'll be giving the earth stuff a try.

axlrose

• View Profile
Please help - itchy dog !!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2014, 17:02 »
Hi everyone - this is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I'm hoping for some advice re my dog's diet. I have a 5 year old 42kg male Doberman who has been confirmed as having a severe allergy to dust mites and storage mites which makes him very itchy. Linked to this allergy he also gets frequent yeast infections in his ears and armpits. He constantly licks and in order to prevent any more lick ulcers I often have to muzzle him.

He is on meds from the vet but its costing me £175 every 2 weeks. I am covered by insurance but at this rate that will run out in a year.

I have always fed him on Oscars dry food and its recently been pointed out to me that certain flavours of this food contain almost 50% rice.

I have started to research natural dog foods online and have given myself a total headache as to what would be best for his conditions but also provide him with a balanced diet. I am also confused as to whether I should still give him a dried food, switch to wet or combine the two?

I believe that I need to reduce his sugars to stop feeding the yeast. I have ordered a probiotic supplement called YUMPRO BioActiv to help get rid of the candida which is adding to his constant itchiness.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I am desperate to help him.

Linda

Schnauday

• View Profile
Re: Please help - itchy dog !!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2014, 17:53 »
Hi and Welcome. Have a read through this thread. Hope something in it is useful for you
http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=653.msg703#msg703
Mini Schnauzer Mum

axlrose

• View Profile
Re: Please help - itchy dog !!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2014, 18:04 »
Hi

Thank you so much for your reply, that's really helpful. I will contact Nutriment tomorrow as this sounds exactly what I'm looking for.
Thank you again for your help

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hello  and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that your Doberman is so poorly. I too was going to suggest trying a raw, home cooked or wet diet as that would help avoid the storage mite problem.  I was told by a company representative that some dogs have problems eliminating the yeast that is found in some commercial foods so changing to another food may help with that too. If you do decide to change food to raw it is important not to mix it with kibble.  The recommendation is not to transition but to stop kibble one day and start raw the next.  Regarding the candida (fungal infection), is it in his mouth and digestive system?  If so, has the vet treated him for it? 

I am not sure about the dust mite problem because it is hard to eliminate them in the home.  If you could keep him in a room without carpets or furnishings that might help.  Also use bedding that can be washed at 60 degrees might help.  I have read that steaming helps get rid of dust mites.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

axlrose

• View Profile
Hi Dottie
Thanks for your reply.  The fungal infection is actually in his armpits and he has frequent ear infections which are all part of the dust and storage mite allergy.

As you say its so hard to get rid of dust mites as the little blighterers are everywhere, especially at this time of year when the heating gets turned on.

I wash his bed once a week in a 60 degree wash, have replaced most of the carpets in the house to hard floors and have any remaining carpets and curtains steam cleaned professionally but he is so sensisitive to this allergy he is still suffering badly.

I started him on Atopica from the vet yesterday and it made him very sick (apparently this is common with this drug) but because of his size this is going to cost me approx £175 every 2 weeks.

I spent hours last night researching diets for a dog with allergies and they all lead to the same recommendation 'raw'.

To be honest this terrifies me. I know they are dogs not human and their systems are different and they come from wolves etc etc etc but its not something I've any experience of.

To be honest I would rather 'cook' them a  homemade dinner but if raw is the way forward then that's what I'll do.

I also have a female Doberman who has liver disease so I believe a raw or home cooked food would benefit her as well.

Do you think home cooked is an option?

Thank your again for your reply its very much appreciated.

George

• View Profile
I spent hours last night researching diets for a dog with allergies and they all lead to the same recommendation 'raw'.

To be honest this terrifies me. I know they are dogs not human and their systems are different and they come from wolves etc etc etc but its not something I've any experience of.

Please don't let it terrify you, axlrose. I do understand your fears, being fairly new to raw feeding myself, but they are unnecessary, I promise - and it's much easier than you think it will be too if you use a good complete raw food, no fuss, no mess and very little smell.

I spent ages talking to the people at Nutriment before I took the plunge. Why don't you give them a call and just have a chat about it? They really are so helpful and knowledgeable, it has to be worth a phone call before you write the idea off. The positive changes I've seen in my little boy since switching have been incredible.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dust and storage mite allergies
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2014, 11:37 »
I too perfectly understand your concerns about feeding raw. I have very recently had a spell of this with mine and I too was nervous. This is why I chose a prepared raw meal in the form of Nutriment.  Also, I do not have the freezer space and did not want to have raw animal products about the kitchen, particularly as my OH is elderly and immunosuppressed due to long term steroid therapy.  I would recommend these prepared raw diets - there are more, but the main ones are Nutriment, Natures Menu and Natural Instinct.  However, for large dogs like yours it might be a bit expensive.  The Nutriment people are on the helpline and would be able to advise.  You wouldn't lose anything by giving one of them a trial for a couple of weeks or more. 

As for home cooked - yes, it is a good option IMHO, as long as you get the proportions right.  I cannot remember exactly what they are but there is loads of information on the Internet.  Off the top of my head, I would imagine it is something like 50 to 60% meat or fish, 20% vegetables and 20% carbohydrate although you could adjust things to suit.  Of the carbs, my understanding is that sweet potato is a good one to go for although I know that David speaks well of brown rice and oats as long as they are very well cooked (until stodgy).

The dust mite is a real headache and I almost feel like saying that maybe he would be better housed (for at least part of the day) outside in a covered kennel and run.  However, that is a bit extreme and he could well be more distressed especially as he is used to being in the house.  It does sound as if you have all bases covered with regards to trying to eliminate the little blighters. 

I have to say that I am so sorry to hear of your predicament.  It must be uncomfortable for your dog and very difficult for you to see him so unhappy.  Also, the expense must be crippling.  I do hope that a raw diet might help.  If you try the Nutriment do not be worried - it is exactly like feeding a tin of dog food.  No handling of the meat - just spoon it into the weighing scales and feed.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

axlrose

• View Profile
Re: Dust and storage mite allergies
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2014, 12:33 »
Dottie and George many thanks for your replies.

I've been messing around far too long so I picked up the phone and had a long conversation with a lady from Nutriment and have placed an order for food and treats. I actually feel really positive now so fingers crossed.

As regards the itchy Doberman - do you think I should stop the vet prescribed Atopica ? As I said he only started it last night and it made him sick and gave him the runs which is a 'normal' reaction to this drug.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2014, 12:42 »
I very much hope that the raw diet helps.  You might have the delivery tomorrow.  I have found that if it is ordered before early afternoon it usually comes next day.  As for the Atopica I haven't had any experience of it.  Personally I would be reluctant to give anything that made the dogs poorly but I can only advise for you to telephone the vet to ask what he or she thinks about the matter.  If they expect the reaction to diminish and the outcome is expected to improve his condition then it may be worth sticking with it until the initial reaction wears off.  It's a tough one.   :-\   The only other thing that crossed my mind (and this may be of no use whatsoever) is that PetalCleanse is a product for reducing allergens from the dog to sensitive people but I am wondering if it might help reduce the dust mites on your dog's coat.  Just a thought and as I said, might not be of any use.
Please let us know how you get on with the raw feeding. 

axlrose

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2014, 17:09 »
Well as per the advice from the lady at Nutriment I've given both my Doberman their first raw dinner. She told me just to swap over from their original dog food without any blending over a period off time.  They gobbled it down but then they are both very greedy. Within 10 mins they have both curled up and fallen asleep. I know (hope) this won't happen but I'm sitting here waiting for some sort of eruption of either vomit or poo (from the dogs that is - not me!)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:07 »
I felt just the same when I gave mine their first meal of Nutriment.  I only gave it to one of them in case there were any problems.  Actually there were none. The little one was deeply suspicious of it when I tried her with some but now wolfs it down.  By now you will know if it has been OK and I do hope it has. You will gradually get more confident with the product.  I really hope that it helps improve the health of your dog. 

axlrose

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2014, 15:35 »
Started feeding raw Friday evening and was just about to sit down and post how well it was going when the dog with the allergies began to have vomiting and diarrohea, I've also noticed that he has flaky skin on his coat which sespite the allergy he only ever gets when stressed.  Is this dettox do you think?
What I need to know is should I feed him tonight?
Many thanks

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2014, 16:25 »
I am sorry to hear about this. Just a few weeks ago I read up about detox because it was referred to on a Facebook group that I had joined.  TBH I do not understand it but it seems to be recognised and I only found one website where the author refuted it. Having said that, I could be wrong but I would not put this down to detox.  Equally, it might be nothing to do with the raw food - he could simply have picked up a bug.  Usually when this happens many people tend to starve the dog for 24 hours, just making sure that they stay hydrated with plenty of fresh water.  I usually have a syringe of Prokolin or similar in stock and that can be helpful.  If you want to feed him I would probably go for something light such as cooked chicken or scrambled egg. 

I'm not sure about the dry, flaky skin. One of mine had it for some time but it  completely disappeared once I changed them all onto Gentle and latterly Nutriment.  Her skin and coat were particularly bad when they were on James Wellbeloved. 

I hope that your boy is better by the morning.  If not, perhaps another visit to the vet might be necessary.  However, I would not necessarily blame it on the raw food.

xx
Storage of dry dog food

Started by Dottie

0 Replies
Last post Jun 18, 2016, 08:51
by Dottie
xx
allergies

Started by maria49

6 Replies
Last post Feb 03, 2016, 13:36
by maria49
xx
Allergies

Started by Janice W

2 Replies
Last post Feb 14, 2015, 15:51
by Tinyplanets
xx
Hello… Any advice for possible IBD or allergies?

Started by shelldd

18 Replies
Last post Apr 26, 2016, 15:09
by Dottie
xx
Multiple allergies

Started by elastic

1 Replies
Last post Jun 03, 2019, 07:57
by Dottie