Author Topic: Dust and storage mite allergies  (Read 20520 times)

Pegasus

• Retailer
    • View Profile
Re: Dust and storage mite allergies
« Reply #30 on: Nov 03, 2014, 15:29 »
If I had a choice of stopping the new food and stopping the Atopica, I would stop the Atopica - hopefully the change in food will help with the allergies and thus stop the itching

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:26 »
Axlrose - I am just wondering how things are with your dog?  I hope that the diarrhoea and vomiting have settled down and he is feeling better.  I remember how worried I was when I started raw food but luckily my lot took to it very well indeed and without incident.  From speaking to other people, their dogs have had no problems either.  I do hope that it wasn't the raw food that upset him.  Please could you let us know how things are?
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

axlrose

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2014, 17:11 »
Hi
I spoke to Nutriment who were fantastic and advised me to stop the raw food and keep on with the Atopica just to see what happened. I hated going back on Oscars but I knew it would be a good bench mark to get to the bottom of what was causing his sickness.  In a nutshell he started to itch a lot more but wasn't sick. Tonight I cooked him up some mince and veg (on advice from my itchy dog who are also very helpful) and within about 10 mins he vomited the lot back up again. My other Doberman thought it was her birthday and Christmas all rolled into one as she gobbled it up before I could stop her.
 I have looked into freezing the dried Oscars but as someone on a random forum pointed out this will kill the mites but their bodies and poo are still present so won't really help.
I also need something that won't feed his yeast problem and have absolutely no idea what to do now. I am going back to my vet on Monday or a review of the Atopica but doubt they will offer me much help with my feeding problem.
It seems that what is good for his dust / storage mite allergy and candida doesn't agree with his stomach.
Any advice as always would be much appreciated.
Many thanks x

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2014, 18:51 »
Have you tried any of the wet foods?  Although it would work out a bit more expensive, it might be worth a try. Naturediet might help as it is quite bland.  A few of us on here are quite keen on cold pressed food.  I use Gentle for my dogs and it has suited them very well. I don't know if there is a storage mite risk with this kind of food.  Cold pressed food has a short shelf life - around 6 months.

It rather sounds as if the vomitting is due to the treatment rather than the Nutriment.  Such a shame because it would have eliminated the problem of storage mites.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

axlrose

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:29 »
Thanks Dottie. Having had time to think logically about him vomiting up the cooked mince so quickly after eating it I've come to the conclusion that it was probably simply because he'd eaten it too quickly. This morning I gave him the same food only i fed it to him in small portions making him wait between 'servings'. I also shut the other dog out of the room as she is a food thief.
He's been fine so far so fingers crossed.
I think I was in panic mode last night !

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 07, 2014, 10:26 »
Well done for spotting that. Just wondering if something like the Green Feeder might be of use?  Other than that, putting the food in a Kong is great fun for the dog. Mine get softened Gentle (frozen) in a Kong each morning when they come in from their walk and they love it.  It's a great way of giving them their food or just for a treat.

axlrose

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 07, 2014, 17:14 »
Thank's that's a great idea. I've just slowly fed him some more mince and veg in small portions and making him wait inbetween.  He still ate what he was give very quickly  but at least it wasn't down in one gulp like it was last night before he was sick. I also put it in a large flat bowl so he had to chase the food which slowed him down very slightly. So far so good, he curled up snoring his head off so hopefully he should keep his dinner down. I feel much more comfortable actually cooking their food so I really hope this works out.

George

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 07, 2014, 18:09 »
I also put it in a large flat bowl so he had to chase the food which slowed him down very slightly.

A trick I've used in the past is to spread the food out on a large non stick baking tray and then put the tray down on a hard floor. The poor dog then has to both chase the food round the tray and chase the tray round the floor, it can slow them down wonderfully  ;D.

lvbate

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2015, 19:05 »
You  can get immunotherapy for your dogs allergies if you don't resolve  the issue with changing  his diet. Woould work out less expensive a month than trying all the different foods. There is approx an 80% success rate so worth a try?

xx
Storage of dry dog food

Started by Dottie

0 Replies
Last post Jun 18, 2016, 08:51
by Dottie
xx
allergies

Started by maria49

6 Replies
Last post Feb 03, 2016, 13:36
by maria49
xx
Allergies

Started by Janice W

2 Replies
Last post Feb 14, 2015, 15:51
by Tinyplanets
xx
Hello… Any advice for possible IBD or allergies?

Started by shelldd

18 Replies
Last post Apr 26, 2016, 15:09
by Dottie
xx
Multiple allergies

Started by elastic

1 Replies
Last post Jun 03, 2019, 07:57
by Dottie