Author Topic: OES puppy, severe ear infections....food recommendations?  (Read 1745 times)

JJ

• Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: OES puppy, severe ear infections....food recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2018, 15:00 »
Throwing an alternative out there having had a dog prone to ear infections... but Thornit Ear Powder is definitely worth exploring in terms of relief & results. You'll find much more information about it through some searches and reviews. It's readily available on Amazon with excellent reviews too.

In terms of foods, agree with the suggestions provided thus far from Dottie and Coaster but I too would be surprised if this is a food related issue.

Djsquires

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2018, 15:09 »
Thankyou for all your help and suggestions......made a decision, ordered gentle and Fish4Dogs samples......as she is a bit fussy and will chose one of these! Will also get the ear powder for when and if her ears settle down.

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2018, 16:22 »
I think your choice of foods to trial is good. Of the two foods named  I would be keenest to get my dog onto the Gentle CP.....assuming dog got on with it ok.

Once you ascertain if dog likes a particular food I suggest you trial it for say a month.....During which time you may see gradual changes. Difficult to evaluate what change is diet related when a dog is still growing. Stool output is a pretty good indicator when judging correct feed amounts in adult dogs, however, pups can have sensitive stomachs and are prone to garden scavenging so don't dismiss a food until you have given  dog time to adjust & worked out correct amounts.

Make sure you only give ear powder or other treatment once certain what the specific ear issue is.

I am still not entirely convinced whether you or your vet are that clear re the specific problem so be careful....Someone suggested a 2nd vet opinion - I agree with that advice & would add that it is important to find the right vet. I am presently happy with mine but have changed practices 3 times in last 5 years.

Good Luck

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2018, 16:44 »
PS I just edited my post slightly....my thoughts & general advice still the same.

Anita...

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2018, 19:57 »
OES puppy would have floppy down ears. I have 2 dogs with floppy ears. I always make sure their ears are dry and clean after a bath and l dust over the inside of the flappy parts with Thornit once a week. I also pull out any hair from inside the ear (a little thornit dusted over the ear or on your fingers will make this easier) for airflow and to keep the ears cool and to stop any debris collecting in hairy ears. Both my shih tzu x and  Maltese require a little more attention in the hairy ear dept. Have you been advised to remove hair from inside the pups ears? Anyway this is what I do... both hairy dogs and l haven't had any problems with their ears. Hope it helps  :)

Djsquires

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2018, 20:40 »
Thanks Anita.....yes she has very hairy ears, started to pluck hair out a few at a time but she really doesn’t like it, then she got the first ear infection and they were too sore. Current ear infection means they have to be left alone whilst the antibiotics work.

Anita...

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2018, 20:59 »
 Yeah takes a little time for them to get used of it. That's all you can do, little and often and give them a nice treat. Let us know how she is doing, the little darling  :)

xx
Golden Irish Food Recommendations

Started by harryboy

3 Replies
Last post Apr 23, 2016, 16:58
by Dottie
xx
Pet food recommendations - offering advice to other members

Started by Dottie

1 Replies
Last post Nov 24, 2014, 20:54
by Tinyplanets