Author Topic: Prescription Pet Food Class Action Lawsuit  (Read 2583 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Prescription Pet Food Class Action Lawsuit
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:28 »
David has posted this on the All About Dog Food Facebook page. It refers to legal action being take in the USA re prescription diets:
Big news: Several legal firms in the States are putting together a class action law suit against the prescription pet food manufacturers Hill's, Purina, Royal Canin and Iams!
Link
It will be interesting to see how this develops, and what the judgement will be.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Pegasus

• Retailer
    • View Profile
Re: Prescription Pet Food Class Action Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:02 »
This has brought a big smile to my face - the word 'prescription' is a complete misnomer when applied to foods. Medicines need to be prescribed and vet meds have different classifications - VOM, AVM-GSL etc with only suitably qualified people being able to sell them. These prescription foods have no classifications as they are not meds, they are just food. It took a lot of digging but I finally found the ingredients of a tin of 'prescription' wet dog food - (the company wouldn't give me the ingredients over the phone because I wasn't a qualified vet) - it was written in tiny print on  the inside of the label - ingredients - cereal and cereal derivatives, meat and meat derivatives - more or less the same as Chappie but a bit more expensive at £2.80 for a 240g tin! Hope they win or even just highlight this 'con'. Only thing is I can't see anyone on this side of the pond having the clout to stand up to the likes of Nestle and Mars, perhaps only the EU.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:37 »
Perhaps this news will encourage UK Vets to have a good look at what they are recommending to their clients. Thankfully we do have raw food vets http://rawfoodvets.com/vets/
The documentary film "Pet Fooled" investigating the American dog food industry is out in America. There are various bits and bobs on YouTube about this film.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pet+fooled

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:10 »
It's surely when we are at our most vulnerable
Excellent point Meg and one which I had not considered. I am sure that pet owners can make better choices with a bit of advice, knowledge and support.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

xx
Champion Pet Food Lawsuit

Started by Seaweed

0 Replies
Last post Jul 18, 2018, 18:36
by Seaweed
question
Changing from Hills ID prescription food

Started by Kgrant37

7 Replies
Last post Dec 30, 2017, 18:04
by Dottie
xx
Prescription diet recommended by vet

Started by roxie22

6 Replies
Last post Mar 10, 2016, 19:03
by KatrinH
xx
Prescription, Therapeutic diets, Vets and the FDA

Started by Seaweed

0 Replies
Last post Jul 26, 2019, 11:37
by Seaweed
xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

3 Replies
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 10:13
by dozemi