Author Topic: Wet Food Additives  (Read 1610 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wet Food Additives
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2020, 21:20 »
Sounds like it is best to try for a low to average carbohydrate diet with a simple recipe for now. Raw is not suitable for all dogs and as you say, freezer space is needed. 

Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10:00 »
Sorry to hear how poorly your little girl has been, not easy as they can not tell us how they feel.
I have used different dog, as Dottie said about, they are very good, but sadly not putting on weight for my thin dog. And if I was to increase the amount , (he is on 800gs already) it would be too expensive. You do need lots of  room in the freezer, and they can deliver every 4 weeks,or longer, up to 8 weeks, but again it depends how much freezer room you have.
As Dottie said the pure range is good, they do small packets and you can try a small amount. They also have reviews for itchy dogs who have been helped by this food.
The cobby cold pressed food has got turmeric in so this may also help, and they do samples.
I hope that you can help your little girl recover. :)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2020, 09:04 »
Vivann - My Pet Nutritionist has a Facebook Live session about IBS/IBD on Friday, 4th September at 7pm.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

vivann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2020, 11:18 »
Thanks for the heads up Dottie, I will try to follow that.

vivann

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2020, 13:21 »
The Cobbydog Cold Pressed food looks interesting!  My girl doesn't eat a great deal so it may be a problem getting her to eat 170g per day (that was suggested amount on their website).

I will be contacting the vet tomorrow morning to speak to him about getting my girl spayed so I may be able to get some information from him about what type of food I should try i.e. low fat, not too much carbohydrate.

I could only see three of their range on the Food Directory page but their website has a lot more.

So Pure Vegi plus mix or the Vet Chef recipies or this Cobbydog.  Getting a good choice now.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2020, 13:40 »
Vivann - cold pressed foods are a good choice. I used this type of food for quite some time beginning when it was not very well known about in the UK. The carbohydrate is rather high though. Check out the dials on the product in the Dog Food Directory.

Gentle, owned by Beate Rothon  was the first UK company to sell this and their products are made by Markus Muhle in Germany. They have been manufacturing cold pressed food for a long time and have a lot of experience. Beate would be able to give you advice should you need it.

vivann

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2020, 15:25 »
I did see something about cold pressed food on here earlier but cannot find it now.  I noticed that https://walkeranddrake.com/ were mentioned.  Does anybody use it and if so, what is the verdict?  I cannot see it on the Food Directory.

The details on the website look good and I am tempted to try it.  I have just emailed them to ask about carbohydrates.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2020, 07:43 »
I haven't come across that particular product.  My feeling is that an elimination diet would probably be the best thing in the long run. It also has the potential to save money because it can be expensive trying different products. You don't know why your dog is itching but trying a low carbohydrate diet is worth trying. Most dry foods (not all) have higher than average carbohydrate content.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:47 »
I have just found this brand on the internet and put the ingredients in  the tool generator and found it to have only 36% . If you want a cold pressed dog food and need lower carbohydrates Cobby and Akela are your best option. Cobby is 34.6 for carbs and 88% for food rating and Akela is 37% and 86 on food rating. :)

Lewie0205

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:01 »
I’ve been looking at Walker & Drake (I’m a sucker for fancy packaging). The ingredients are good and I’ve just put the ocean fish into the calculator and got 86% with no red or Amber ingredients showing. I might send for a sample to see what my dog thinks of it

vivann

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:23 »
I put Walker and Drake in the calculator, substituting the space and big dots for commas and got the same result.  I emailed them to ask about carbohydrates as there isn't a figure for that.  I got a reply quickly and was told they are going to get that done as someone else had asked too.  Richard included a code to get the sample pack free and it arrived yesterday - about 50g each of the chicken, duck and ocean.  Just using as treats for now but going down well.   I won't be purchasing until I get the carbohydrate percentage.  It breaks into smaller pieces easily and the dogs seemed to like it.  Fingers crossed - if the carbs are low enough I may well try it for my girl.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2020, 20:07 »
I have just put copied and pasted the ingredients in to the generator and still only got 36% not sure how other people are getting more. 

vivann

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2020, 21:17 »
I copied and pasted the ingredients including the added nutrients then went through the list removing the first space and big dot between each ingredient and replacing with a comma.  Tedious but worked.

Lewie0205

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 06, 2020, 23:00 »
I also got rid of the dot and added a comma in between.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2020, 21:18 »
Aflora Cold Pressed - Beef & Whitefish - Grain Free Dry Dog Food

ingredients:
Dried Ground Beef 32%, Sweet Potato 30%, Dried Ground White Fish 10%, Peas 5%, Tapioca 6.5%, Beet Pulp 5%,  Rapeseed Oil 3.5%, Linseed Oil 3.5%, Vitamins & Minerals 1.25% (Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Thiamine, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C), Dried Vegetables (Carrot, Celery Root), Dried Apple, Dried Herbs (Sage, Thyme, Oregano), Seaweed, Yucca, Fennel, Nettle, Chondroitin, Glucosamine, Turmeric, Dandelion Root.
I have found another cold pressed dog food, I have used it and it is good. It scored 90% when I put it through the generator.
I got rid of the dots and spaces and still only got 65% for the walker and Drake. 

moved
MOVED: Wet Food Additives

Started by Dottie

0 Replies
Last post Aug 26, 2020, 19:03
by Dottie
xx
Herbal/flower additives

Started by Dottie

7 Replies
Last post Nov 05, 2014, 08:17
by David
xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

3 Replies
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 10:13
by dozemi
xx
Help find dog food using packaging as an aid? - so how is your dog food packed?

Started by Meg

12 Replies
Last post Jul 01, 2020, 15:58
by Dottie
xx
All about our dog's DRY food -What type of DRY food are you feeding nowadays ?

Started by Meg

19 Replies
Last post Sep 09, 2019, 19:45
by Pam501