Author Topic: Wet Food Additives  (Read 1607 times)

AstraNine

• View Profile
Re: Wet Food Additives
« Reply #30 on: Sep 08, 2020, 16:15 »
To get an idea about dry food carbohydrate level just take the sum of protein plus fat plus fibre plus ash plus moisture and deduct from 100. This gives an approx level of carbohydrate or NFE (nitrogen free extract).

vivann

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sep 08, 2020, 23:14 »
This is very confusing.  I have just done the Walker and Drake chicken version in the instant food review and got 87%.  I included the nutritional additives and removed the dots and replaced with a comma.

The Aflora Cold Pressed chicken looks good too.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sep 09, 2020, 00:11 »
The Instant Review Generator returned a nutritional rating of 88% when I tried it. The list only includes a percentage only for the first ingredient which is chicken. No mention of the percentages for the second, third or fourth ingredients, sweet potato, beet pulp and peas.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 09, 2020, 06:56 »
I can see that the instant review generator is causing a bit of confusion, for which I apologise. I'm afraid it's still a bit temperamental and if everything isn't entered exactly as it expects, it can give incorrect readings.

First, you should only enter the ingredients list (sometimes called composition) so not the nutritional additives or anything else. And then all the ingredients need to be separated by a comma.

So for Walter & Drake Ocean Fish, the ingredients list should read:
Dried Ocean Fish 42%, Sweet Potato, Beet Pulp, Chicken Oil, Peas, Fish Oil, FOS Inulin, Yeast Bio-Mos, Psyllium Husk Powder, Apple, Carrot, Tomato, Seaweed, Cranberry, Flavour Bioflavex, Glucosamine, Fenugreek, Green Tea Extract, Fennel Seed, Blueberry, Yucca Schidigera, Chondroitin, Marigold Powder, Devils Claw Root.
Which provides a nutritional rating of 86%

And for Aflora Beef and Whitefish:
Dried Ground Beef 32%, Sweet Potato 30%, Dried Ground White Fish 10%, Peas 5%, Tapioca 6.5%, Beet Pulp 5%, Rapeseed Oil 3.5%, Linseed Oil 3.5%, Vitamins & Minerals 1.25%, Dried Vegetables (Carrot, Celery Root), Dried Apple, Dried Herbs (Sage, Thyme, Oregano), Seaweed, Yucca, Fennel, Nettle, Chondroitin, Glucosamine, Turmeric, Dandelion Root.
Which provides a nutritional rating of 87%

I hope that helps.

vivann

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sep 09, 2020, 18:31 »
Yes, very helpful thank you David.  Just tried the Walker and Drake Chicken menu and it comes out at 87%, Ocean Fish menu 86%, Duck menu 88%.  The Alflora Chicken is 78%.

One thing puzzles me, with the W&D menus they only give the meat or fish percentage of the ingredients so how can the calculator work it out accurately?  I notice Alflora give more information regarding percentages of ingredients.

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 10, 2020, 07:19 »
One thing puzzles me, with the W&D menus they only give the meat or fish percentage of the ingredients so how can the calculator work it out accurately?  I notice Alflora give more information regarding percentages of ingredients.

Great question Vivann. The rating algorithm essentially takes whatever percentage information is available and uses it to fill in any blanks by calculating the possible range of percentages for each ingredient in the food.

Wherever information is not provided, it always assumes the worst. So when the percentage of a desirable ingredient like meat is missing, the algorithm will assume it it the lowest percent possible and for undesirable ingredients like fillers etc, it will assume it is the highest possible percentage.

In this way, even when few or even no percentages are provided, we are still able to get a fairly good estimate of how much of each ingredient a food is likely to contain.

Of course, this could result in a score that is lower than it would be if all of the percentages were provided but as a general rule, companies only withhold information if they believe it is in their interest to do so, so by assuming the worst you usually get quite close to the truth.

We're also huge advocates of clear labelling so are keen to reward those companies that have open, transparent ingredients lists and downgrade those that do not.

I hope that all makes sense.

moved
MOVED: Wet Food Additives

Started by Dottie

0 Replies
Last post Aug 26, 2020, 19:03
by Dottie
xx
Herbal/flower additives

Started by Dottie

7 Replies
Last post Nov 05, 2014, 08:17
by David
xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

3 Replies
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 10:13
by dozemi
xx
Help find dog food using packaging as an aid? - so how is your dog food packed?

Started by Meg

12 Replies
Last post Jul 01, 2020, 15:58
by Dottie
xx
All about our dog's DRY food -What type of DRY food are you feeding nowadays ?

Started by Meg

19 Replies
Last post Sep 09, 2019, 19:45
by Pam501