Author Topic: [Calorie Content] Allometric Feeding Equations  (Read 1087 times)

dan.xuereb

• View Profile
[Calorie Content] Allometric Feeding Equations
« on: Feb 09, 2017, 17:12 »
Hey all, bit of a technical problem here.

Found a very good meta-analysis for the energy requirements of dogs (Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0109681).

However I'm struggling to understand the significance of the two equations they use to determine these energy requirements.

These equations are:
  • kcal.kgBW-1.day-1
  • kcal.kgBW-0.75.day-1

I understand what they mean.  For example, 81 kcal.kgBW-1.day-1 means that 81 calories (kcal) are needed for every kilogram of bodyweight (kgBW) per day, whereas 81 kcal.kgBW-0.75.day-1 means that 81 calories (kcal) are needed for every kilogram of bodyweight (kgBW) to the power of 0.75 per day.

My issue is with kgBW-0.75.  Why is 0.75 power used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [Calorie Content] Allometric Feeding Equations
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2017, 08:06 »
Unfortunately I cannot help you with this as it is beyond my knowledge/understanding. Hopefully someone who can assist will spot your thread and reply. If not, David keeps an eye on his Facebook page so you might want to post the question on there. 
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

dan.xuereb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:28 »
Thanks a lot for the help, will definitely check out that book and David's FB page!  :) :)

dan.xuereb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:22 »
If anyone is interested I've copied an excerpt from 'Canine and Feline Nutrition' below which explains this issue :D

"Formulating an exact equation to estimate the energy requirements of dogs is a difficult task because of the wide variety of body sizes and weights in this species. The amount of energy that is used by the body is correlated with total body surface area. Body surface area per unit of weight decreases as animals increase in size. As a result, the energy requirements of animals with widely differing weights are not well correlated with BW; they are more closely related to BW raised to a specified power [emphasis added]. This unit of BW is called metabolic body weight. Representing weight as metabolic body weight helps to account for differences in body surface area between animals of varying sizes. Historically, coefficient values used with dogs have ranged between 0.67 and 0.88."

To summarise, the BW0.75 is just the standard coefficient value used in order to better correlate Body Weight with energy requirements.

dan.xuereb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2017, 07:53 »
Thanks for that Meg, I had found it before but never really looked at it - was stuck under a pile of research   ::)

xx
Ash content in dog foods!

Started by Kycc

1 Replies
Last post Mar 01, 2018, 13:34
by AstraNine
xx
Fat content in wet food

Started by chelleandrew

7 Replies
Last post Jul 22, 2016, 20:52
by chelleandrew
xx
Is raw feeding a risk to humans? (previously raw feeding with toddler)

Started by beaglescomeback

38 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 22:47
by Tinyplanets
xx
New to raw feeding

Started by Catflk

4 Replies
Last post Aug 06, 2019, 21:16
by Catflk
xx
Raw Feeding