Author Topic: Dental Plaque  (Read 12159 times)

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dental Plaque
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2018, 18:19 »
We just use the beaphar toothpaste ( a tiny amount) with a finger brush. She isn't very cooperative so we do as much as we can.  She does have some treats that aren't raw but I try to keep them healthy. I have noticed a little tartar now but the vet wasn't concerned. She is 9 or possibly older now so I would expect some build up. She has a good gnaw on a nylabone at least once a day.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:57 »
February is Pet Dental Health Month. This serves as a good reminder to check your dog’s teeth and gums regularly and to get them used to having their teeth brushed. Your vet might be running special clinics etc for Pet Dental Health Month so if interested, ask for advice at the surgery.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of regular brushing using a doggie toothpaste. My two have clean teeth and gums and the nine year old has never had a veterinary dental treatment in her life. They had a bit of plaque on their molars but I have nearly got that off using a dental scraper very gently.

My two haven’t had kibble for some years, don’t eat biscuits except for one at bedtime, don’t have bones, chicken pieces or dental chews so I know that their dental state is entirely down to use of the good old fashioned toothbrush and regular care. They have Plaque Off every day on their dinner, I brush using a doggie toothpaste and then apply PetzLife salmon flavour gel to soften any tartar that might be lurking. Any stubborn bits of tartar can then be gently removed with a dental scraper. Down side is that it takes commitment but is well worth the effort when you see a clean, fresh mouth.

If anyone is inspired by Pet Dental Health Month to start cleaning their dog’s teeth there is plenty of advice online. However, I am not sure that quick fix treatments such as dental diets, chews, biscuits etc are of any use. If it was as easy as that there would not be so much peridontal disease in the canine population.

If you do start to brush and your dog has tartar it might take a while to remove so don’t be disheartened if it fails to shift immediately. Be patient. The doggie toothpaste will soften it eventually and sometimes it can then be flicked off with your finger nail. If the tartar is quite heavy then it might need removal by a vet. After a dental treatment is a good time to start regular brushing as it should prevent build up.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Rebecca Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2019, 15:19 »
Good advice Dottie,  ,
 :) I do brush teeth when I remember but must be better organised in future.
Our Vet sells dental sticks and I looked at the ingredients and it contained sugar. a bit strange, not sure if they really work. a good money maker though.

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2019, 20:56 »
The ingredients pedigree dentastix did concern me but they have good abrasive action.....I wish I coukd find something similar texture but different ingredients

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:33 »
The ingredient list of Dentastix is here. According to the literature it is ‘.....the sole chew available that has been scientifically proven to combat tartar’. I can’t see a reference to the evidence for that claim but maybe it exists somewhere.

Pooch and Mutt on Dentastix - link. P&M chews.
Woof Works This company also sell chews.

I gave Dentastix to my dogs many years ago and it caused diarrhoea. I know of other people who have reported the same thing in their dog. Personally, I would rather brush teeth than give the dogs this product. It’s effective, cheap and they are not ingesting dubious ingredients.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2019, 14:51 »
Lily's Kitchen brought out their Woofbrush Dental Chews a few months ago.
I give unfilled cow hooves, always under supervision though. I would rather brush their teeth than use a processed chew/treat.
https://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/for-dogs/food-for-dogs/shop-by-product-type/dental-chews
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=woofbrush

xx
Healthy dental chews?

Started by DoreenXB

3 Replies
Last post Apr 17, 2019, 22:03
by Lewie0205
xx
Chihuahua's first raw chicken wing (for dental reasons)

Started by shingigz

14 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 07:47
by shingigz