Author Topic: Feeding Advice for Toy Dogs  (Read 10712 times)

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding Advice for Toy Dogs
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2015, 10:12 »
Oh dear, this is unfortunate. In this situation I usually give nothing more than a little very well cooked brown rice and chicken or steamed white fish. I tend to stick with this for a day or two before gradually reintroducing their normal food.

Why did you first choose these products? I may be wrong but I just feel that this food is created for working dogs who have different needs to your little toy breed. You seem to be keen to continue with it so perhaps it would be best to contact the company again tomorrow.

As I mentioned before, I feel that (for a short time at least) it might be worth considering a wet food. If you look at the ingredient list they are much shorter meaning that there is less chance of there being something that doesn't agree with the dog. Also, you are not committing yourself to having big bags of food around the house that last for ages.  The other bonus is that wet food is possibly easier to digest. You should find that the poo will firm up nicely as there is usually plenty of meat.

If this doesn't appeal, perhaps look for a kibble with a single source of protein - maybe fish, with not too long an ingredient list. Keep it plain and simple for now would be my advice.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

tizwizz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2015, 12:09 »
Ive given them a small but of boiled rice mixed with some scrambled egg this morning so will see how they go with that today. It may just be a bug and not the food but it seems a bit of a coincidence. We have another chihuahua staying with us this week and she's eating her normal food and shows no sign of any sickness or diahorea.

I'll have a look into wet food today.

It's so frustrating that when they were on rubbish food (royal canin) we had no problems, and when I try and do the right thing for them food wise it results in them being not so great :/

I originally chose Millie's as I had heard lots of good things about it and the first couple of months on it they were great. It was only once I switched to a different mix that the problems started.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2015, 12:44 »
I too wondered if it was a bug.  However, whatever the cause, it's best to give a light diet for the present.  It must be frustrating when you know they seemed fine on Royal Canin, which is not such a highly rated food. 

There is a definite trend for higher levels of quality protein and fat - for many dogs this is good and suits them but for others it is not so appropriate (IMHO).   All dogs are different and what suits one won't suit another.  As you are aware, you have chosen a food that is designed for working dogs and has a lengthy ingredient list. Your little dogs could be sensitive to something in there or perhaps they would be better having a simpler product containing just one meat (or fish). 

Regarding food, each owner has to find the right way to go for their dog/s.  In your case I reckon simplicity and digestibility should be high on the list of priorities.

Please keep us informed and I do hope that your little dogs are soon well again. 
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Eden Holistic Pet Foods

• Manufacturer
    • View Profile
    • Eden Pet Foods
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2015, 08:39 »
I would get back on to Millies agaim if you are still having issues, they are the experts in their food, but a couple of things

did they eat the new food faster than usual (being a different flavour) as that could cause vomiting?

i would advise against giving rice to a dog that is now on a grain free diet, chicken, or fish, with veg (sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots and peas) all cooked and pureed together is a much gentler option, It's what we always advise for dogs fed on Eden, and the recipe comes from our nutritionist.

if they were ok on the first mix you tried, have you tried moving back to that mix? what are the differences between the mixes?

as far as "working dog food" is concerned, that designation purely means it is suitable for working dogs and is therefore VAT free, it doesn't mean in any way that it would be an issue for a non-working dog.

xx
Advice needed on feeding 3 small dogs

Started by Stars_bright

2 Replies
Last post Aug 26, 2017, 08:47
by Dottie
question
Feeding dogs abroad

Started by maggsmep

7 Replies
Last post Jun 17, 2015, 13:48
by Dottie