Author Topic: Ketogenic Dog Diet  (Read 3405 times)

ofs

• View Profile
Re: Ketogenic Dog Diet
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2018, 16:33 »
Ofs - thank you for this information. I have merged your post with this thread as it is about the series of videos about this subject.

What conclusion did you come to when you had watched it? I found it hard going, not least because of the format. Karen speaks quite fast and it can be hard for us older folk to keep up! Without watching the film again, the only points that I picked up on were:
Rodney’s first dog died of cancer at age 6 years, despite having a very good, fresh, organic diet.
Carbs are not bad for a dog with cancer and in fact the opposite is required.
Lots of protein and fat is not good for cancer.
We should all be fasting our dogs to put them into ketosis. 

I am probably wrong but as I said, I did struggle with it. Would be interested to know what you learned from the discussion and if you are moved to follow their thinking/ advice.

Basically Karen Becker realised that despite of giving dogs what she considers a right and proper diet (organic raw meat ) , she still has to deal with a lot of  cancer cases in dogs and  besides the dogs didn't do it better carrying on with this diet. So she was worried about all those cancer cases , she did some researches and she got a new solution: Ketogenic diet.   I understood that high protein levels are not good in these cases (even in general only when the dogs are growing)
 For me it is quite interesting because someway it is going to  change the general vision of dogs feeding for those people that feed raw meat of course.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2018, 17:25 »
Thank you for that. I had just about got it right. I get the impression that some pet owners feel that a raw diet will prevent dogs from getting cancer in the first place but I don’t know of any evidence to back up this assertion.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2018, 13:25 »
Interesting.  I picked up all the points that you did Dottie. I have always felt inclined to add some carbs from whole grain sources or starchy veg to my dogs raw complete and I have read a little about the benefits of fasting for humans.  I don't think it would be very easy to fast a dog to be honest. I would be worried that my dog would think she was being punished.  Food for thought though.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2018, 14:11 »
I too would not want to starve my dogs, particularly ill ones. I have had dogs die due to cancer - they have all been older ones. I have treated them palliatively and tried to make what is left of their lives as good as possible. That includes giving them whatever they fancy food wise.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2018, 09:00 »
KetoPet sanctuary have updated their free eBook and have also added a Keto Calculator.
eBook and Keto Calculator (enter email address)  http://www.ketopetsanctuary.com/calculator/

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:20 »
Using Keto to Help Our Pets with Rodney Habib. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaErGr41wZM

xx
Raw diet

Started by Scottie

2 Replies
Last post Jul 19, 2017, 06:47
by Dottie
xx
Raw diet?

Started by Rottie2016

3 Replies
Last post Nov 16, 2016, 14:43
by RHEBDEN