Author Topic: Silly question, but how do you feed raw carrots to clean teeth?  (Read 2805 times)

Alfiesmum

• View Profile
I want to try giving my greyhound raw carrots, as I've heard they can help to keep their teeth clean. I am slightly concerned about him choking on them, as he eats his food without chewing it.

He has had around a dozen teeth removed (greyhounds are notorious for having poor teeth). I know people will say I should brush them, but he hates having his mouth touched. I give him CSJ seaweed and parsley, which is supposed to be good for helping reduce plaque and tartar.

I presume that I would give him a whole peeled carrot, after cutting off the ends. I think that would be safer than cutting them into large pieces. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

mamarozi

• View Profile
I have a lurcher. I give him slices of carrot. It takes him a while to chew on a single slice and he actually spits it out if pieces are to big :)

kez_sparky

• View Profile
I give my spaniel 1/4 - 1/2 a whole carrot most days because she just loves them.  I don't peel them, wash them or cut off the ends and have encountered no issues whatsoever!  She eats pretty fast but does crunch them up - I hadn't heard about dental benefits but I guess that's a bonus.  I give her raw beef ribs for the dental benefits though and they seem to work really well! 

Supawpetfoods

• Retailer
  • Purveyor of the finest foods and treats!
    • View Profile
Simply wash and trim a carrot and that should be fine. If you are concerned that he might choke on it then cut it in half. Another excellent solution would be to buy a type of ground seaweed called plaqueoff. It is meant to help soften plaque and tartar or and reduce the build up in future.
Free dog food and treat samples!

question
The big question: What do you feed?

Started by David

45 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 19:53
by Dottie
xx
Forthglade Clean Eating For Dogs campaign

Started by Seaweed

1 Replies
Last post Aug 24, 2016, 18:52
by Dottie
xx
Tartar build up on teeth

Started by Stars_bright

9 Replies
Last post Dec 16, 2017, 15:30
by Dottie
xx
smallest kibble available for tiny tiny Chihuahua with a few teeth

Started by houndmad5

10 Replies
Last post Apr 04, 2018, 20:41
by Dottie
xx
Hello and yet another puppy food question!

Started by elastic

2 Replies
Last post Jun 11, 2016, 16:00
by Tinyplanets