Author Topic: sodium selenite  (Read 8103 times)

juice09

• View Profile
Re: sodium selenite
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 15:59 »
I've had a very quick response from orijen regarding selenium in their dog and cat foods;

"Selenium is a trace element that is essential in small amounts to all animal life; it works in conjunction with other antioxidants in the body. Selenium is added to all our foods to provide a 100% complete and balanced diet.

All of the ORIJEN dog formulas contain selenium yeast, a non-viable yeast that is an organic source of selenium that is readily absorbed into the body of dogs.

All of the ORIJEN cat formulas contain selenium selenite. This alternative form of selenium is used in our cat foods because our foods are formulated to meet AAFCO standards and sodium selenite is currently the only form of selenium that is approved to be used in cat foods according to AAFCO regulations."

paulc5000

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 09:11 »
From my experience most minerals are toxic at high levels but are beneficial at the correct amount.

I am not sure what studies are available regarding the range of the therapeutic index for the selenium compounds mentioned here or what are the alternatives

It seems unreasonable to downgrade foods that have put in supplementation for the purposes to improve and support the health of dogs.without some firm evidence that the compound is detrimental at the levels in the food.

juice09

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 08:32 »
I don't think the issue is whether it's detrimental in the levels added. I think it's more that SS is not used by he body as well as selenium yeast. SS is Toxic so I have to ask why you would choose that with all the associated risks over a naturally occurring supplement such as selenium yeast? When you came up with the idea for eden you obviously put a lot of thought into your ingredients so when it came to supplements why was the choice sodium selenite?

paulc5000

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 08:18 »
I think it is absolutely to do with the levels added, in fact most pharmaceutical drugs are dangerous if overdosed, hence the wording on the side of the packet about not taking more than the amount stated.

My point is that if SS only appears as trace amounts and this is beneficial then it shouldn't be on the red list.

juice09

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 08:52 »
You obviously haven't read my reply properly so again I ask, why choose selenium selenite with all the associated risks over selenium yeast which is better used by the body in both people and dogs? Unfortunately I cannot put links on here but there is a lot of information available all saying the same thing, selenium yeast is safe even at high doses, its better absorbed and has more benefits than sodium selenite which is a manufactured compound used mainly in the production of glass....... :-\

louisecragg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 14:20 »
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/red-flag-ingredients/selenium-dog-food/

another opinion based in USA

I think you seem to be forgetting that the amount is low and you dont consider its benefits and why it is used and must be in dog foods  and that the warnings are about high levels which are not found in dog foods.
causing fear or hype.

It is in many foods wet dry or raw completes however some companies dont disclose it as its under 1%.

bit like the garlic debate on one hand you say its good in small doses yet it is highly toxic to dogs in high doses.

people reading this must take this thread in balance and not be fearful

yeast is something my dog has issues with so I for one would not want this in my dogs food.

lou x