Author Topic: Vegan, Vegetarian or Meat  (Read 15598 times)

Seaweed

• View Profile
Re: Vegan, Vegetarian or Meat
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2016, 06:23 »
An update to the Vancouver based Dogg Canine Nutrition Company (previously known as INDOGO) feeding trial. The results of an informal 12 week plant based feeding trial is now in. They are to release a formal announcement along with a summary and clinical abstract in the coming weeks. Here is a statement from the Supervising Veterinarian at Yaletown Pet Hospital.
http://www.doggfood.ca/#!DOGGs-Canine-PlantBased-Diet-Feeding-Trial-Results-are-IN/c1eqn/57a3c4820cf2a7b92a32a1d0

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2016, 18:16 »
That all sounds quite positive. Good news for anyone thinking about a meat free diet.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2016, 08:51 »
Dog food studies seem to be few and far between however recently a dog food study, Vegetarian versus Meat-Based Diets for Companion Animals was published.
http://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/6/9/57/htm

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2016, 06:37 »
Tara's vegan story has made some of the daily nationals but I believe this was the original article. Looks like a tray of Benevo Grain-Free Vegetable Feast with Mixed Herbs next to the Yarrah Dry Dog Food. Benevo is not rated in the food directory at present but the ingredients for this particular product is
Composition: Lentils (10.0%), Potato (5.5%), Chick Peas (5.5%), Peas (4%), Carrots (4%), Sunflower Oil (4%), Linseed Oil (1%), Tomato (1%), Sunchoke (0.5%) Mixed Herbs (0.5% Rosemary, Parsley, Oregano, Marjoram & Mint), Seaweed (0.25%), Minerals
Analytical Constituents:
Moisture 70%, Protein 6%, Fat Content 5%, Fibre 0.5%, Ash 2%
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/owner-of-17-year-old-vegan-dog-from-coulsdon-said-meat-free-diet-is-secret-to-long-life/story-29532837-detail/story.html

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:57 »
Meg thanks for posting. I hadn't read that article before. Indogo mentioned in the article is now the Dogg Canine Nutrition Company.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 13, 2017, 15:42 »
Making My Dogs Vegan. Rodney Habib talks on making dogs vegan, plus other items.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y-Sgn5ZTjs&feature=youtu.be&a

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2017, 19:23 »
Thank you Seaweed.  I like Rodney Habib's videos so will check this one out. 
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 14, 2017, 11:33 »
Dogg Canine Nutrition, the plant based dog food company based in Vancouver plans to begin commercial production of their 100% plant based vegan dog food by Winter 2017. http://www.joindogg.com/

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2017, 01:41 »
I am aware that some believe that it is appropriate to feed dogs a vegetarian/vegan diet.

I am mindful that humans get most benefit from fresh (not processed) veg......the alleged starch/sugar levels in some dried processed foods of this type rule this that type of vegan dog food out for me presently.

Despite currently having a vegan family member in the household I currently lack the confidence to correctly & safely source prepare & feed a cost effective suitably balanced d.i.y. vegan dog food diet.

The DOGG brand link has raised my interest as they claim to be launching a fresh plant based food. As stated the company is infancy & not selling food yet.....also only initially planned for sale in a specific area of Canada.

I will do some more research & keep an open mind in this area.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 15, 2017, 13:06 »
Like you Coaster, I have an open mind and as vegan, vegetarian products very slowly come on the market the more we will learn.

DeclanjjWhelan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 08:39 »
Very interesting topic at the moment. I recently have stopped eating meat but I would never want to put my choices onto my dog. It is my belief however that dogs can survive/thrive on vegetarian diets. One of the downfalls though about a veg diet is that veg protein sources are often poor sources of specific essential vitamins and fatty acids. Therefore, when choosing a veg diet they must be appropriately formulated and balanced, including proper sources of amino acids.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 02, 2017, 10:40 »
An article "Can Dogs Be Vegetarians?" from Dogs Naturally magazine. http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/can-dogs-be-vegetarians/

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 02, 2017, 18:16 »
Interesting article, thanks for posting Seaweed.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:35 »
Will the Los Angeles Animal Services change to a vegan diet? http://truthaboutpetfood.com/los-angeles-shelter-dogs-to-go-vegan/

ofs

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:23 »
I just want to tell my experience , my four dogs have been eating vegetarian/vegan food in the last 6 months  and I am really impressed as they are doing really well. They enjoy their meals  and they look as good as ever (they were in cold pressed food and raw meat before). They eat Yarrah and Veggiedog kibbles but also supplement with seeds(chia, flax, hemp) and with vegetables (sweet potato, pumpkin, beans, etc) and fruit.

xx
Newspaper article about feeding cats and dogs a vegetarian diet.

Started by Dottie

1 Replies
Last post Dec 15, 2015, 10:54
by Seaweed
xx
Dried meat feed

Started by 4max

26 Replies
Last post Jul 15, 2018, 19:19
by David
xx
Albion Meat Products

Started by Dottie

0 Replies
Last post Sep 11, 2017, 12:49
by Dottie
xx
Millies Wolfheart Wet Food 70% meat?

Started by louisecragg

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 15:38
by louisecragg
xx
Is Meat Meal really a high quality (green) ingredient?

Started by Rachael

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2017, 17:42
by Dottie