Author Topic: What is the future of Dog Food?  (Read 11871 times)

MakerLing81

• View Profile
Re: What is the future of Dog Food?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:05 »
 ;DSounds interesting

TheBunyip

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2017, 14:15 »
I am very excited to learn that insect-based dog food has made it to the UK!  I have been asking in pet shops but so far haven't found a stockist, so the links here are very helpful, thanks!

Although - I thought potatoes (the base of the Green Petfood InsectDog) weren't a very good staple for dogs? Too starchy and a member of the nightshade family. That brand has only 22% protein - I doubt that's high enough, especially for a puppy (our golden doodle is 7 months and currently doing well on Arden Grange Junior plus offal treats).

I attach a poster I made summarising some 2014 research on the nutrition in different types of insect, in case it's of interest to anyone. I would like to see more companies investigate this - when the planet is being destroyed by meat consumption, insects seem like a great way to go - mealworms in particular can be sustainably produced on the byproduct of other industries.

The poll on allaboutdogfood.co.uk is very interesting - so far, c. 40% of respondents are totally resistant to the idea of alternatives to standard meat protein. I'd be very interested to know what the turn-off is, i.e. whether there are scientific concerns about nutrition or whether it's just the ick factor. Any thoughts?

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2017, 14:31 »
TheBunyip, welcome and thanks for posting.
There's been a low key introduction of insect dog food in the UK, of course it's still in it's infancy, however once someone comes along and promotes their product with a splash! then it could really take off. I'm particularly interested how dogs with allergies and intolerance's would fair on this diet. There seems to be a growing interest in starting up Insect Farms in the UK, perhaps one day they may supply UK Dog Food manufactures. I don't know how many insect farms there are in the UK although there is a Cricket Farm in Cumbria who produce dried, frozen and powdered Crickets for humans. Insect dog treats are on the up, whether they have made it to the UK I'm not sure.

TheBunyip

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2017, 15:15 »
Meg, that's a very good point  - many invertebrates are under threat, particularly freshwater species. The idea of using protein from farmed Insects such as Tenebrio motilor (yellow mealworm), however, fills me with hope - they are very far from threatened, and using them would take pressure off protein sources like soy and cattle, and might eventually lead to less intensive farming and more habitat released for wild species.  It's just a hope!

One of the things that gave us pause about getting a dog was the increased carbon footprint - I'm hoping that if insect-based protein takes off, the carbon footprint necessary for the dog's health will reduce.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2017, 19:30 »
Insect dog food, BugsforPets Dog - Crispy Dry Food (Black Soldier Flies) 2kg and 4kg is available from vetsend.co.uk also on Amazon UK from same.
https://www.vetsend.co.uk/bugsforpets-dog-crispy-dry-food/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BugsforPets-Pet-Supplies-Store/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A340840031%2Ck%3ABugsforPets
Not in English http://www.bugsforpets.nl/

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2017, 21:19 »
Very interesting. The Bugs for pets Crispy Dry food scored 2.1 in the generator with Animal fats flagged in red and it looks heavy on potato starch and peas. Perhaps not one I would venture to try then but definitely has possibilities. As you say Meg, it may provide an answer for those searching for alternative protein sources due to allergy.   

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:22 »
Tinyplanets, thanks for checking BugsforPets Dog - Crispy Dry Food with the generator. Yes it's another avenue to consider There are now at least three insect based dog food brands available in the UK.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:29 »
TROVET Hypoallergenic IPD (Insect) Dog is also available in 400g wet food tins.
https://www.vetsend.co.uk/trovet-ipd-hypoallergenic-insect-dog/#product-description-

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2017, 17:14 »
The list of ingredients for that one is quite small so possible a good option for dogs with allergies. It also scored 2.1 but with no red flagged ingredients. Not sure if the generator is recognising insects yet as it is new which may be the reason for the low ratings.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2018, 16:18 »
There's very little information available on new dog food company Wild Earth (USA) set to launch early this year, their website isn't giving much away either. However they seem to be working on clean meat, clean protein. A comment on their Facebook page of yesterday stated that they cannot comment on their product as it is still in R&D state. It's a matter of waiting to see exactly how their new product is made and with what ingredients. As soon as I have more information I will post.
https://www.livekindly.co/clean-meat-pet-food/
http://www.wildearthpets.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pg/wildearthpets/posts/

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2018, 18:57 »

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2018, 20:05 »
A great find Seaweed. Very exciting indeed. It would be fabulous to be able to feed your pet an appropriate diet which has less impact on the environment and the animal kingdom. The health aspect makes it even more appealing. If the revolutionary food measures up and taste good, I would imagine that it will be very popular. Here's hoping that it isn't too long until it becomes a reality.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2018, 00:07 »
It is the manufacturing of these foods that is intriguing.....   "Clean meat is made by extracting the stem cells of an animal then growing those into muscle tissue, the part of an animal we know as meat ...."

Perhaps this will be later explained, as at this time I'm reflecting on the statement "clean protein is made without animal ingredients"  whilst comprehending that the original source of stem cells are from an animal.

Yes a real breakthrough that is surely worthy of huge appreciation is a future production of edible meat protein for us and our pets, which is manufactured without any harm being inflicted on animals, nor indeed any slaughtering of animals. 

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:53 »
There has been a update to the Wild Earth (clean protein) website, no ingredients yet, however they say the product is made from biomass that is eco friendly and renewable sourced.
http://www.wildearthpets.com/

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2018, 13:25 »
Thanks Seaweed, may be from plant or animal, and I'm wondering if that might be a clue in the Wild Earth statement mentioning  "renewable sourced"? 

xx
Natural Food Company causing odd runny bottom need 20% protein but good food!

Started by JacksMum

3 Replies
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 10:13
by dozemi
xx
All about our dog's DRY food -What type of DRY food are you feeding nowadays ?

Started by Meg

18 Replies
Last post Sep 14, 2018, 17:07
by Howlingbrown
xx
Help find dog food using packaging as an aid? - so how is your dog food packed?

Started by Meg

7 Replies
Last post Sep 20, 2017, 22:13
by Meg
xx
Food is Food? Apparently wrong.

Started by Shadowman12

4 Replies
Last post Nov 22, 2015, 19:46
by LS25Lee
xx
Just What is in Dog Food?