Author Topic: Chocolate toxicity calculator  (Read 1794 times)

Tinyplanets

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 692
    • View Profile
Chocolate toxicity calculator
« on: Dec 21, 2016, 19:45 »
Bearing in mind the season I thought this may be useful for anyone's pooch who may have helped themselves to the goodies.

Chocolate toxicity calculator

Pegasus

  • Retailer
  • *
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate toxicity calculator
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:52 »
Good post but the descriptions of the chocolates are a bit vague for me. I presume semi sweet and unsweetened are high cocoa solid products. eg bars that contain 80% cocoa solids and not your 'ordinary' Dairy Milk. Our dog nicked a chocolate bar a few Christmases ago and we rang the vet for advice, when we told he the dog had eaten a high cocoa solid bar she asked how quick could we get to the surgery - it was 11pm on a Sunday to give an indication how serious the vet thought it was. Dog was fine as we'd already induced vomiting but it was scary how concerned the vet was.
On the other hand, we had a customer last year whose dog had eaten a full tin of Quality Street and the only side effect was colourful sparkles in the poo for days after as the dog didn't bother unwrapping the sweets.

Dottie

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,773
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate toxicity calculator
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2016, 07:47 »
Please can you tell us how you induced vomiting - did you use hydrogen peroxide?
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Pegasus

  • Retailer
  • *
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate toxicity calculator
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2016, 10:18 »
We used salt solution. I've read about use of hydrogen peroxide (mainly on American sites) but salt solution is easier to formulate and less scary sounding.

Dottie

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,773
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate toxicity calculator
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2016, 06:57 »
Thank you. I too am concerned about using hydrogen peroxide. Please could you let us know the dilution and how you were able to get it into the dog? 
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Pegasus

  • Retailer
  • *
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate toxicity calculator
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:51 »
The solution - I may get very scientific and technical here - very salty, as salty as you can get it - boiling water, add loads of salt and then cold water to 'drinkable' temperature. Speed really is the thing rather than the chemistry. The dog is going to bring the solution back up asap and the chocolate with it.


xx
14 yr old chocolate lab

Started by foofar

3 Replies
2079 Views
Last post Mar 03, 2015, 07:01
by Dottie