Author Topic: Obesity in labradors  (Read 2543 times)

COASTER

• View Profile
Re: Obesity in labradors
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2017, 09:07 »
Your working Lab is light compared to my friend's who are both show type.  They weigh circa 33-35kg. It is a struggle for her to keep them in trim, especially as they are getting older and one is a couch potato. She had that one on a diet and it took about 6 months to get her weight down although the dog wasn't hugely overweoeight at the outset.  Both dogs get considerably less food than the RDA - probably about 60% of the lower amount.

Owners so often make mistake of taking food packaging RDA's far too literally (myself prior included). 5 years ago I was studying charts on sides of kibble bag, measuring/weighing kibble portions & marking cups with masking tape.  Now looking back I am mindful I was often doing so based on me proudly deciding which vague dog silhouette & description on packaging most closely matched my dog. (toy,small medium ,large & giant).

Owners are becoming more aware of obesity in dogs & that is one reason why more owners look at packaging for feed amount guidance.

As I type this both dogs are dozing on the couch....couch potatoes in the moment, however, a significant beach walk soon will change that.

Stating the obvious but like people, food ammount should ideally be based on relevant factors.

I accept it can be more difficult to find the correct feed amount  in older dogs or dogs with mobility issues but much obesity is due to too much food or inadequate exercise...even in dogs DNA disposed to weight gain.

Must dash.......beach waiting !

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2017, 11:30 »
SlimDoggy (USA) has some interesting articles and a video by Frances O Smith, DVM, PhD, herself a Labrador breeder.
http://slimdoggy.com/when-did-overweight-labs-become-the-new-normal/
http://slimdoggy.com/an-experts-concern-over-labrador-retriever-standards/

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2017, 10:18 »
The links make interesting reading.....I have read a few articles over recent years. Some might argue that some ring judging hasn't helped.

Meg the last article linked mentions Riversway lines.....my dog has this lineage in his pedigree.

I note the article indicating some working/field line dogs can have more of a show line appearance when retired/out of condition, however, some would argue that (acquired weight aside) , some show labs appear shorter in leg than many working/field lines.

i live in an area popular with off-lead walking by owners of various working breeds. Most of the walkers I regularly see &/or meet don't tend to have overweight dogs, (in contrast to many working breed dogs in hands of day visitors). Whilst DNA can arguably be a factor, I believe feeding & exercise are key factors to condition.

Ironically I am just about to walk mine with another Lab we occasionally look after. When I started walking her I considered her more show line, however, after much good effort by her owners to get some weight off she now looks far more like my Lab in shape & condition. I have not seen her pedigree.

Must dash.....3 dogs to be walked.

xx
Obesity in dogs discussed on television

Started by Dottie

1 Replies
Last post Sep 16, 2014, 11:59
by Yum Yum
xx
Obesity and weight loss thread

Started by Dottie

0 Replies
Last post Mar 03, 2019, 17:39