Author Topic: Home-cooked dog food recipes  (Read 5961 times)

David

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Home-cooked dog food recipes
« on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:42 »
Please share your home-cooked dog food recipes here. They could be a huge help to others  :)

domperignon1969

• View Profile
Re: Home-cooked dog food recipes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:41 »
I've used this one and the boys just adored it.  It's a Kale & Cheese Frittata.   I've read that goat's milk/cheese is healthier and use it instead of cow's.  Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Canine cordon bleu: James Martin teamed up with vet and animal nutritionist Marc Abraham to create healthy meals for man's best friend

Kale & Cheese Frittata

1 cup chopped kale
100g chopped cherry tomatoes
4 eggs
1/2 pint milk
100g grated cheese
1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. grated parmesan

I can't post the link but you can google and see them cook it in a video.

Diane

kez_sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:24 »
Hiya,

Cows milk has much larger fat molecules than goats milk making it more difficult to digest, Cows milk also contain significantly more lactose so can cause problems for dogs (and people!) who have an intolerance to lactose.

Goats milk is actually relatively similar to human breast milk which means people are better equipped to digest it, obviously dogs produce milk which is composed differently (higher concentration of fat and protein) but dogs, like people, are able to digest goats milk far more easily than cows milk.

Having said that, as with all things, some dogs tolerate cows milk with no issues whatsoever - my dog has yoghurt made from cows milk (mixed with mashed ripe banana) now and again and she doesn't seem to have any issues with it (normal stools, no wind, etc).     

roxieyap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2015, 14:50 »
I will try giving Doggie, my dachshund some the yoghurt with mashed ripe banana. Hopefully she will like it.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2016, 09:39 »
Anti-inflammatory Gravy recipe for dogs.
Gingermeric Gravy by Rodney Habib.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-n1pdZNWo

Coby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2016, 10:23 »
I am learning a lot of ideas from you guys... Thank you!

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2017, 16:57 »
Pancake recipe for dogs from Lily's Kitchen. 
Also from Lily's Kitchen, Henrietta Morrison's book ' Dinner for Dogs' book.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2017, 19:57 »
These are a few recipes that both humans and dog have enjoyed lately

This dish  is a bit of a mish mash of ideas You can vary the amounts of ingredients to match the number of people and canines who will be dining. I aim to cook about 150gs of chicken per person. I generally add onions and mushrooms (for the humans only) and whatever other vegetables I have handy.

Today we added peppers and spinach. It is made like a stir fry. Cut some chicken into strips and cook for about 5 minutes, add the vegetables of choice. I usually remove the dog's chicken and cook it with the vegetables which she is able to eat in a small pan next to ours. When the vegetables are cooked to your liking, add the pesto sauce and stir through. You can buy the sauce or make your own. It is simple to make.

50gs pine nuts
1 pack of fresh mint (I use Aldi)
4 tablespoons of olive oil.

Blend together and that is it. Simple and very tasty. I think most pesto uses Basil but whatever is to your taste. You can add Parmesan for the humans if they like it and don't forget to add your calcium source to the dog's bowl.

I would serve this particular dish with either brown rice or sweet potato.

This dish is a firm favourite with the whole family. On paper, I didn't think it sounded terribly exciting but on the plate, it was a delicious surprise. I found the recipe on Allrecipes  and we have been enjoying it as a family meal for a while. Since the dog has  been on some home cooked, I saw that, with a few, modifications, it would be perfect for her too.

I don't add onion, salt or pepper to the dog's. I cook it in a very low salt, gluten free, kallo stock cube.

For the human portion we add onions, a tbsp of curry powder and seasoning to taste.

It is quick to make and can all be done in one pan, with a little pan on the side for the doggy version. Again don't forget to add your calcium source. (I use powdered egg shells)

This next dish is a deconstructed chicken wrap. The humans have this with some spices. The dog has my wheat free tortilla which is grated cauliflower mixed with egg and lightly fried. She has some plain chicken with avocado and a biscuit made from ground flax, blueberries, spirulina and coconut oil on the side.

She often has a little natural fat free yogurt and berries after her meal.

xx
Let's talk about home cooked dog food

Started by Dottie

15 Replies
Last post Mar 14, 2017, 17:13
by Dottie
xx
Recipes & Time Taken - Home Cooking

Started by DeclanjjWhelan

2 Replies
Last post Apr 25, 2017, 10:20
by DeclanjjWhelan