Author Topic: Will the independent vet survive?  (Read 1936 times)

Seaweed

• View Profile
Will the independent vet survive?
« on: Apr 13, 2017, 06:04 »
How long can independent vets survive, an article from Dog World.
http://www.dogworld.co.uk/story.php/177937/2155/will_the_independent_vet_survive__

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Will the independent vet survive?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2017, 18:03 »
At the moment my vets are independent. Here's hoping that they stay that way. I do like the consistency and feel like they only treat as necessary. A colleague had a very different experience with vets4pets down the road. They wanted to do expensive surgery on her spaniel. Another vet sorted the problem with a course of antibiotics! Rather worrying that the animals best interest is secondary to profit.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2017, 16:46 »

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2017, 21:05 »
I'm not really biased toward any practice, independent or not, as over time my choices are pro the skills needed for the particular animal and if the Vet is 'up to the mark' (in my view   ;)) then that is the vet for me!

Over the years I've found that it's not always easy to access out-of-hours care and sometimes this makes noticeable difference to getting a pet treated quickly. For that reason I like that Medivet has 24 hour hospitals serving their immediately surrounding areas, with previous & current medical information instantly available for all (Medivet) registered pets.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:53 »

Seaweed

• View Profile

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2018, 19:18 »
US veterinary consultant Bash Halow spoke at the Veterinary Marketing Association’s debate at the House of Lords in June, Adapt or Die.
https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/adapt-or-die-independents-face-difficult-future-veterinary-consultant/

Seaweed

• View Profile

COASTER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2018, 22:25 »
My independent practice is a stand alone business working from one site. The practice is  unique in the area offering holistic treatments (but not dismissing western approach where clinically appropriate). They have 24/7 on call nurse support but, (understandably) ,
 refer out of hour emergencies to  another practice (belonging to a local independent group consisting of 4 practices).

The only downside for me is that an out of hours emergency drive for me is 45 mins....acceptable for a minor fracture, not so good for clinical presentations requiring time critical veterinary intervention.

I welcome new competition that drives down prices of independents that charge daft amounts.  Small independents or stand  alone practices offering exemplary &/or unique services should still do ok unless big chains significantly under price independents and take their clients.

I actually used to be registered with companion care within the local PAH store & prior to PAH taking over.

Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2018, 11:33 »
This news isn't new, however viewers of the tv series "The Yorkshire Vet" may be interested.
http://mrcvs.co.uk/en//news/16994/Vet-departs-original-%E2%80%98James-Herriot%E2%80%99-practice%C2%A0