Author Topic: Best food for Pomeranian puppy  (Read 361 times)

Nova

• View Profile
Best food for Pomeranian puppy
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:44 »
Hi,
I have a 7 month old Pomeranian puppy, when we got him he was 8 weeks old and weened onto a frozen raw diet which he wasn’t keen on. I changed it to a mix of dry ( hills science plan) & wainwrights wet. He isn’t keen on that either. He only likes what we’re eating which isn’t agreeeimg with him, he’s either constipated or got diarrhoea. I just don’t know what to feed him as I want him to enjoy his food but it not upset his tummy. If I don’t give him what we’re eating he will leave his food all day & only way it last thing at night when he’s starving & knows he’s not getting another option. I want something he enjoys as I wouldn’t like eating things I didn’t like everyday! Can anyone help please?

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Best food for Pomeranian puppy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 17:59 »
Hello and welcome to the forum,
I would recommend that you don't feed him any human food. Firstly the lack of consistency may not be helping his digestive issues at all and secondly, it sounds like he is already worked out that if he leaves his food, something better (in his eyes) will appear. I don't have a fussy eater but I think the general advice is to leave his food down for about 20 minutes. If it isn't eaten, take it away and wait until the next meal. Don't feed anything else in between then try again at the next meal time. I am guessing he will eat when hungry but you need to stay strong and not be tempted to feed him in between his meal times or keep trying different foods to encourage him.

You can find some general advice about feeding puppies here

Does he like the wet food on its own as it is complete food and would be fine to feed without the dry food. There is quite a bit of information on The hills Science diet on the forum and it only scores an average rating. I would consider stopping that. Ideally any new food should be introduced gradually but that might be hard if your pup won't eat his regular food. The first link I added also explains the best way to change foods.

There is so much choice and if you want any information about a particular food, hopefully some members may have had some experiences to share. Also there are lots of threads about various foods to browse through.
 There are so many variables and each dog is different. Most have us have just settled on a food that suits through trial and error.

You can also look at this thread to see how to search for a suitable food. It should give you some ideas. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Meg

• View Profile
Re: Best food for Pomeranian puppy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2018, 13:48 »
Hello Nova and welcome to the forum!

Some great advice already!

A further thought may be that rather than prefer the  taste of the food you are eating he may simply be wanting to be part of your feedtime. I'm wondering if you might eat your food and at the same time give him his dog food (not your food) in his bowl to eat near to you.

He may also prefer smaller meals during the times you eat, so 3 smaller meals per day for him, rather than 2 larger ones.

xx
Any Fellow Pomeranian Owners on here??

Started by Lexi-Jade

0 Replies
Last post Jan 15, 2015, 18:34
by Lexi-Jade
xx
Feeding Aatu Puppy food to a Labrador puppy

Started by MontanagirlUK

4 Replies
Last post Jul 20, 2017, 12:57
by WarfieldWolf