Author Topic: Deerhound Greyhound cross called Fred  (Read 13051 times)

Plantagenet

• View Profile
Re: Deerhound Greyhound cross called Fred
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2015, 19:58 »
just ordered some now

Plantagenet

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:36 »
He is on 1/4 wolf heart gun dog mix and 3/4 canin and all seems fine  :) he also has some lamb scalps which he loves.  Really happy to have sorted this all out.  Thanks to everyone that has commented on this thread.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2015, 13:17 »
That is good news.  In view of the fact that he is better on food with no rice, it makes me wonder if your dog is intolerant of it. Anyway, do you plan to move over to MWH fully or will you stick with your current regime?  Thank you for updating us.  You never know when threads are helpful to others. 
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Plantagenet

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:57 »
He is defo intolerant to rice.  He also has trouble with cow and pig ears and raw hide.

I think (but not totally confirmed) that he also has trouble with all grains, turkey and chicken.

Currently he is on wolfheart gundog mix as his main meals.  Treats are lamb scalps, venison chews, fish skins and when we go out he has a kong stuffed with wainwrights grain free wet food lamb and veg.

When practicing recall on a walk he gets natures menu sausage lamb or beef.

Haven't had any issues for over a month.  He's been castrated now too.  He is turning into a little star - always comes back and is more interested in us than other dogs when we are out on a walk which is a relief as he was getting obsessed with other dogs and trying to play with dogs that were just too small for him to play with - he is about 32 inches at the withers.

Dottie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:13 »
Thank you for the update. You have made excellent progress with the identification of your dog's intolerances and with his training - well done. Regarding the rawhide etc. IMHO it is not worth bothering with them. I recently read about the manufacture of these sort of treats and it put me off although tbh I haven't used them for years anyway. Sea jerky is all my lot get now, apart from their Kong filled with softened Gentle and frozen. Your idea of using Wainwright's grain free wet for the Kong sounds ideal. I treated mine to some of that a few weeks ago but the lamb version made two of them sick (highly unusual for my lot). It's probably a bit high in fat for them.
Your post and comments may be helpful to others. Please remember to update your thread. Feedback to the forum is appreciated.

Tinyplanets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2015, 18:37 »
If he likes the chewiness of rawhide, a good alternative is baked sweet potato. You can cut the potatoes about a third of an inch thick and bake for 3 hours on 120 c or 250 f. We have an excess at the moment due to picking up a bargain pack so I am going to give it a go.

Plantagenet

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2015, 19:15 »
yes he has some dried sweet potato chews as well.....  and dried papaya.  doesn't last long though lol.

xx
Food for a permanently hungry excitable greyhound - more protein?

Started by laurieandrews

8 Replies
Last post Apr 30, 2015, 09:36
by Meggie
question
HELP! What to feed my cross breed?

Started by Sarahjanel09

2 Replies
Last post Sep 30, 2015, 19:48
by Tinyplanets
sad
Cross breed snobbery...