Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - COASTER

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Thanks for reply. Really keen not to wrongfully deter folk from buying suitable foods or food types......More info re my dog and current agenda to reduce carbs here

Thanks for clarifying the output quality.

Gland issues aside, I have own reasons to hold back on introducing/trialing cold-pressed - Alleged Carb levels......

Some dog food companies give carb levels on request,  (albeit I am yet to receive a breakdown of simple & complex carbs as separate percentages). When dog food carb levels are unavailable from food companies I use data from this website, (a.a.d.f.) , or do my own maths based on what percentage remains after deducting numbered percentages.....(a  crude method, not agreed by some suppliers).

I am also interested to know more re pro's & con's of cold pressed & pro's con's of mineral clay & kieselgur.

To put my carb interest into context........My lab had mast cell tumour removed last year. I feed current food on back of, (stateside), dog cancer vet advice alleging potential benefits from feeding low carb diet, (to dogs at risk). Veterinary opinions vary widely. I also know of a highly regarded cancer treating holistic vet that recommends a specific cold-pressed brand. My own oncology vet does not regard diet or carb levels as being relevant to risk..... I am absolutely NOT alleging any risks from any foods or food types - I remain open minded whilst trying to do what's sensible for our two dogs.

Just found these.....

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/cream-laundry-hamper--60l-254621

http://www.thebasketcompany.com/laundry-baskets-c6/antique-wash-square-wicker-laundry-basket-p208/s395?gclid=CLjCiKqF48oCFUnnwgodmxcDqg

Second linked item might need liner removal but hopefully folk will see where I am coming from.

Basically ventilated laundry bins. Bag of food could sit inside same. There are various designs with larger or smaller holes. I wont list every laundry basket out there.

Bag standing alone (away from dogs), should be fine, but adequately ventilated laundry baskets might be a consideration for anyone wanting discreet or even OCD storeage.

For most the main concerns of open bags are probably dogs getting in, bags getting knocked over or ripped when knocked into with other objects (ironing boards, boxes, boots etc).

I would aim to continue using the product bag (within any other well ventilated outer storeage solution) as I suspect the bags may be specifically manufactured with the cold pressed shelf life in mind..

I was wondering if drilling holes in lid & or sides of an airtight dog food container might work (lowering whole bag into it rather than emptying same).

Develpoing this further suitable mesh (like that used in domestic radiator covers or car grills), could be fixed inside the container behind the holes (this would reduce interference potential from insects or even mice (perhaps for those with older properties, outdoor stores, old floorboarded understairs cupobards etc).

I think environment is as important......an understairs cupboard with minimal moisture &/or abscence of significant  heat would be my choice…......depending on environment weekly amounts could  perhaps be decantered into a less fussy storeage solutions.

Thanks - Re forum housekeeping  I was mindful the rice chat crossed a little between dietary & shelf life discussions & also saw your comments in the other thread  ;)

Only just caught up with this thread & updates.

Sheldd -Your dog is so lucky to have you guys as owners.

You are literally doing all you can....& well above what many would.

I will watch for future news whilst wishing you & ypur dog all the best goimg forwards.

Maybe have a look at Lukuluss Duck & Lamb.

It contains dried potato flakes & sweet potato.

I believe that due to lower temperatures in manufacturing cold-pressed  (than dry extruded) there needs to be something in composition to allow ingredients to bind. Green mineral clay sits in my mind (although I do not know a great deal re cold pressed & am most keen not to give wrong info).

Link below should take you to composition of the food I mentioned  (scroll to composition & click to expand).

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/detailsInfo/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/lukullus/444185#description

Guru Surf & Turf is absent of chicken but not grain free, as has brown rice in composition.

I dont feed grains purely because taking my Lab off a dry extruded kibble (which contained it) reduced anal gland issues. I must stress that I do NOT know for certain that rice was the issue. I think, as owners, some of us can be pretty quick to conclude our dogs have genuine allergies or dietary intolerances......terms like hypoallergenic & grain free have arguably to some extent convinced some of us that some of our dogs are perhaps less food tolerant than they might actually be.

I continue to follow the cold pressed segment (& other alternatives to dry extruded)  with great interest.

I appreciate the thread resurrection may be with good intentions, however, this thread is ow 3 months old  & OP has not responded to prior replies & advice.

Hello coventrypetsupplies

Quote from: coventrypetsupplies

Our question is: Is there anyone out there open to new brands ?

Of course people are open to new foods !  Without wishing to appear rude I would have thought any sizeable pet food retailer selling muliple brands would know that without needing to enquire here.

Allegedly the food specifically detailed & pictured in opening post appears by composition & packaging to be one of the Golden Acres White label Premium Gain Free Kibbles. (The alleged retail beneficial margins of GA white labelled foods have been prior discussed by others).

Incidentally a simlar food with similar (own branded) packaging is currently advertised elsewhere by another retailer for around £29.99 per 12kg bag (compared to £39.50) so I dont subscribe to the sentiments on price that infer spending less gets a worse food .....compare clicky links here & here   (I have no business interest or association with suppliers  other than as a retail dog food purchaser who contributes within associated discussions). 

I personally & happily feed a branded dry extruded kibble produced by GA, however, (I dont currently feed a puppy), nothing specifically in composition or pricing on your site would personally make me go out of my way to buy that specific exampled food over and above competition.

I note that a website that appears linked to the OP has other branded dog foods that are allegedly of much much lower quality. I accept that many retailers stock mutiple brands & foods.

Personally if I was an ethical pet food retailer I simply would NOT sell certain other foods if I was genuinely motivated to promote good foods, dog health & improvements in the dog food industry, (despite me accepting that many owners have pre-conceived feeding preferences &/or budget constraints).

I see this thread has now been moved to the clasifieds section !

General dog chat / Re: Lungworm
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:35 »
Worth noting that both above links are to Bayer websites & that Bayer have a significant footprint in the market of worming & flea prevention products.

I use currently use advocate flea treatment and wormer spot on (recommended monthly) plus droncit tape wormer (3 monthly),  albeit mindful that some owner prefer to look into alternative products, holistic flea control options &/or service providers that analyse stool samples for worms.

Always worth reading articles, opinions as well as reading up on pro's/con's & of course product info & literature.

It should be noted that with advocate I believe that when administered the wormer aspect acts as if treating a dog to rid of worms whereas the flea aspect acts to control as well as treat these parasites.

I believe that Milbemax (not believed a bayer product) should not be given at same time as ( or within a certain period of) Advocate as the dog can allegedly be ovordosed. Also advantix (flea treatment only but combats lime disease found on deer & carrried by parasites) also made by bayer has an ingredient also found in the advocate. (a prior vet of mine did NOT know this)

Not going to make personal recommedations as I am very aware of the potential consequences of things going wrong re inadequate, imroper or even excessive protocols.

Supplements / Re: Omega 3 balance and fish oil
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 00:57 »
Developing the comments re  Omega 3 levels relative to Omega 6

An article that can be viewed by clicking here has certainly caused me to consider Omega ratios in what I am feeding mine (& also on back of prior genuine dog health issue)

Dog foods / Re: The big question: What do you feed?
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 00:37 »
We have two dogs....

Currently one working line dog is fed Akela Fish Feast (big paws) 80/20 dry extruded kibble - the other (smaller dog that takes relatively less drinking water) is currently fed Wainwrights wet complete trays.

I haven't voted as first food not listed in the poll & even if it was I am not sure how or if I could vote twice for two dogs on different foods

Just for the record I feed Akela Fish dry extruded kibble for various reasons....... I wanted my working line Lab to have  grain free, (to reduce anal gland issues), maize free (to reduce loose output), also wanted white potato free & relatively low simple carb levels (on back of alleged non-industry comments that reducing simple carb levels may reduce energy source that feeds mast cell tumours). I also wanted higher omega 6 than 3 (similar reasons).  Not cheapest but I could  pay more for what I feel are worse or no better foods.

The Wainwrights trays are good value and have a good rating here.... Also relatively low levels of simple carbs.

I value decent foods & customer service, however, I do not have fixed brand loyalties &  (in a changing industry that should benefit from healthy competition), am always looking at differing products, food types, composition & customer experiences  (mine & others).

Re Guru : Been keeping an eye on related internet content re their food with interest. Certainly there  seem to be some efforts being made to get the brand out there.  Currently I cant see a grain free option. As mentioned elsewhere that there are other cold-pressed foods  out there that per/kg seemingly cost less  (aware of the age old claims in selling products that many sellers justify price as being relative to quality). Good to see another new food though.

Re "Healthy Dog - Wild Boar"  : Saw this online a week or so ago. it's good to see another cold-pressed on the market. Also good to see another cold-pressed with a food source  other than chicken (nothing wrong with same but some feeders prefer other meat sources).Great to see its grain & white potato free & uses sweet potato. (I feed grain free, low carb white potato free diet for specific reasons I may elaborate on at some time within another post).  Although their site lists various ingredients I havent seen a full percentage composition breakdown. Their site has a page with ingerdient and analysis listings for two other cold-pressed products which can be seen by clicking here however that does not give percentile breakdown of composition (for those other two foods) there isn't any info there re the wild boar food.
I note that the sourced wild boar are claimed a better food source than penn reared pigs, however, this did make  me wonder what the food sources the wild boar are eating ( I fully accept we often know very little re food chain in food for feeding humans as well as animals/pets but the term forage perhaps caused me to wonder re this).

I am increasingly interested to learn more re this food  & other cold-pressed foods.

I would also like to have better understanding of percentages of carbs in cold-pressed foods.

Oh and re shelf life of cold-pressed foods - I may be wrong but on back of a trusted to me source I  was caused to believe shelf lives may vary depending on the binding agent ingredient used. (& crucially also appropriate storeage conditions).

Great thread re a very interesting & evolving area of the dog food market.

Dog foods / Re: Best food for my puppy
« on: Jan 18, 2016, 20:34 »
Hi & welcome.....I have read your 1st post, however, have never owned or fed your breed (not my breed choice albeit quite fond of them & temperament of ones met though).

Wainrights wet complete trays suit some (various flavours) & we feed this to a toy dog here to a realtively small companion dog. Conversely our working breed dog is currently on Akela Fish, ( a relatively high meat content food often fed to working dogs), however, (& this is the important bit)., what suits some breeds, (or even individual dogs), might not suit your dog.

Whilst happy with what we feed I have also fed nutriment albeit you indicate your dog wasn't a fan. Do bear in mind it should be thawed properly & also comes in a huge variety of flavours & compositions (they might all be branded the same but ingredients & dogs realtionship with them can differ between varieties).

As well as wet completes, raw completes and dried extruded kibbles there are also other options out there including home cooked which some shappily sing praises of.

Less well known commercial food types (often getting favourable comments) include air dried, freeze dried & cold pressed. I find these relatively nee foods very interrestng as they some allege they have benefits over dried extruded kibbles which are allegedly usually extruded at higher temperatures, (which some allege has disadvantages).

Unfortunately air dried & freeze dried are currently out of my price budget. Cold pressed foods I find of great interest albeit for own dog specific dietary specific reasons (kibble wise)  I also currentlly feed a chicken, grain free & relatively low carb food.......I do, however, keep finding myself researching cold compresed & otherfoodsmade by  less conventional manufacturing processes.

Availability, shelf life, cost etc may also be factors although many accept the route to suitable feeding can sometimes involve a little effort.

The dog food generator gizmo on here may be yiur best bet to getting so e ideas asmight be speaking to your breeder, or perhaps a breed club to canvass viees of others who own the same breed.

Some vets know their nutritional & food stuff but I personally would do my own research & with a view to avoiding paying more for less &/or a product the vet sells at a significant profit margin.

In light of your comments & concerns I will stop short of recommeding a specific food but hope the above of some use

Thr other advice re adding fish or fish oil is sound a friend of family swears by occasionally adding sardines but I havén't researched pro's and con's .

Oh & obviously in any real concerns for your dogs health  then obviously consider consulting with  a suitable vet.

Home cooking / Re: Let's talk about home cooked dog food
« on: Jan 18, 2016, 19:34 »
David,

Thanks for taking time to respond & for clarifying your stance.

I have positively followed your work & attempts to influence the industry, (for some years), both on this site & elsewhere (incuding on TV).

I accept the points outlined  in your response. You have been instrumental in efforts to wake up the industry, (even if far too many owners still seem oblivious &/or unfussed what they feed).

I totally accept benefits of feeding a variety of decent food types, (including home coooked), however, (personally), I prefer discussions re commercial foods........I fully accept this site caters for various food types.

Fwiw I currently, (mainly not wholly), feed our two different dogs relatively low simple carb level commercial foods (one dog a 5 star rated dried extruded & the other a 4.5 star rated wet complete). I am watching  industry developments of cold pressed, air dried & freeze dried commercial foods with interest (personally I think the U.K. dog food manufacturing industry appears to be slow in moving forward in these market areas).

Anyway I have digressed & some - Thanks again for replying, (both of you)......& long may healthy dog food discussions continue re all foods - incuding home cooked  ;)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22