Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - COASTER

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Dog foods / Re: New Cane Corso Puppy
« on: Aug 24, 2018, 22:33 »
Welcome,

Maybe read the links below.........(if not seen already).

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/forum/dog-foods/3/pet-food-recommendations-offering-advice-to-other-members/732/new#new

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/forum/dog-foods/3/using-the-quick-search-tool-for-dog-food-options/736/

As for "the best" ......What is best for one owner & dog might not best suit another owner & dog.

Best food type, puppy food, raw, complete, cold pressed, dry extruded kibble, hypoallergenic, protein level etc etc ?

Local availability, sourcing cost, sourcing time & storage might be factors too.

Many of us feed different foods to one another for various reasons.

I would probably point you towards foods rated on here 3.5 out of 5 or above. I feed well rated raw complete products but still have brand  preferences. If I had toddlers in the house I might think again unless being stricter on hygiene precautions Maybe also consider decent quality cold pressed foods.  I am not a fan of most dry extruded kibbles, not least for relative lack of appeal for the dog, but also the time required for many to break down inside the dogs gut plus other factors.

Feeding amounts & number of feeds per day are factors. Product guidelines are just that....look at dog body
condition (rib coverage) and output ( loose stools often mean too much food per sitting or daily but could mean the specific  food is not suiting the pup)

I suggest spreading daily food intake over 4 meals initially  for an 8 week pup. Don't forget pups eat a higher percentage of food relative to body weight....Also larger dogs tend to eat a bit less. I would feed yours  probably 6% (raw complete) or a bit more of dog bodyweight per day whereas smaller dogs can demand more....perhaps up to 9%.

Some thought required as with larger breed pups you need to be a bit more careful not to over feed.

Despite all the above you could spend hours researching only to find your chosen food doesn't suit your pup or the pup rejects it at the bowl.......do your research but try not to be too blinkered. 

General discussion / Re: Help! Finding the perfect food
« on: Aug 02, 2018, 23:34 »
I have fed raw complete BARF  in  vegan occupied house. I wouldn't personally feed the raw product  brand you did....wolftucker chicken is almost like pate.

If jumping from barf/raw I would try cold pressed....look at the cold pressed foods in dog food dirctory on this website.

Dog foods / Re: Canagan dog food opinions please.
« on: Jul 30, 2018, 18:04 »
Lottie,

You indicate that up until 6/7 weeks ago you were feeding wolftucker and have since changed to DIY raw feeding using DIY raw suppliers.

Whilst you indicate one of the TWO dogs has always scratched a littlle.

How were BOTH dogs body condition ,coat, skin & overall health when on the wolftucker ?

What protein source(s) wolftucker were you feeding ?

What protein source are you feeding now ?

Any supplements now or previously ?

Any regular flea or other treatments ?

Have you thoroughly checked skin on both dogs for parasites/mites/fleas ticks ?

Assuming dogs were relatively ok on previous diet I would reintroduce it for 3 weeks and monitor.....this is assuming no likely infestation.

If itching persists then it might not be diet related....in which case then treat it and monitor......

I would use a decent ideally organic or low chemical shampoo a few times and then treat coat with diatomaceous earth, (DE) . If wanting to add it to diet I would source human grade DE. You can also use DE on household areas where mites may live....(personally I would bin any carpet/bedding if contaminated).

I appreciate I may be suggesting a backward step but ideally I woukd want to identify what factor(s) caused deterioration. 

As with any assesment diagnosis and treatment regime, try to focus on one thing at a time.....otherwise you wont isolate the cause &/or deal with it properly.

HTH

Wolves are not dinosaurs......thy still exist today.

Parvo, Mange wolf on wolf fighting and eating rancid meat probably cause wild wolves to live shorter lives than captive wolves fed kibble.

I agree marketing can influence food buying choices.....personally I look at composition over packaging/marketing.

General dog chat / Re: Will the independent vet survive?
« on: Jul 24, 2018, 22:25 »
My independent practice is a stand alone business working from one site. The practice is  unique in the area offering holistic treatments (but not dismissing western approach where clinically appropriate). They have 24/7 on call nurse support but, (understandably) ,
 refer out of hour emergencies to  another practice (belonging to a local independent group consisting of 4 practices).

The only downside for me is that an out of hours emergency drive for me is 45 mins....acceptable for a minor fracture, not so good for clinical presentations requiring time critical veterinary intervention.

I welcome new competition that drives down prices of independents that charge daft amounts.  Small independents or stand  alone practices offering exemplary &/or unique services should still do ok unless big chains significantly under price independents and take their clients.

I actually used to be registered with companion care within the local PAH store & prior to PAH taking over.

Raw feeding / Re: Transition to raw food
« on: Jul 24, 2018, 20:50 »
Thanks for sharing.

I did straight switch from dry extruded kibble to barf on one dog here without issues.

I wouldn't feed kibble am and raw pm I would probably feed last kibble earlier than usual PM skip breakfast and feed barf PM next day starting off on smaller portion and increasing next feed and so on.

I expect wind, smells and loose stools when changing any food or food type.

I have now looked at lots of the linked content....

I agree feeding the wrong bones can present dental injury choking or other risks.   

I agree that bacteria in raw food can be an  issue

I try to feed bones that are appropriate to the dogs not too big or small.

I buy barf (minced) complete with veg made by suppliers I trust (rather than bulk orders of roadkill delivered in a warm van). The factory that makes mine is close to me.

If I was to change from barf complete it would be air-dried, freeze-dried,  (both tend to be cost prohibitive),  cold pressed or home cooked.

I have read the linked article.

I accept I the article is referenced, however, I couldn't see details of a controlled whole life experiments conducted  whereby feeding commercially available BARF was fed and the wolves lived shorter lives than others fed commercial dry extruded kibble.

I felt the article clearly had a bias against BARF.

Well that has literally given me food for thought.

Introductions / Re: Hello!
« on: Jul 07, 2018, 21:54 »
Hello Jen & welcome to the forums.

If keen to discuss dog food for Stamp then you are in the right place.

Many of us on here have our own preferences for various reasons. Despite preferences many will be happy to comment on individual foods. 

Enjoy your stay :)

Wow...emotional viewing. RIP Maddie.

You  have tried various decemt quality dry extruded kibbles and a decent cold pressed.

If ok with concept of same maybe  try raw complete or home cooked.....assuming dog health  issues ruled out.

Raw feeding / Re: RAW Dog FOOD ADVISE
« on: Jun 26, 2018, 22:25 »
My dog likes eating horse faeces and old bbq remains.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the product brand mentioned.... my point is dogs can show enthusiasm when eating lots of different thing's. Look beyond the desire to consume I say. That said - On quickly checking composition of one of their products it seems acceptable and relatively fairly priced.

One observation is their products seems aligned to, (80/10/10), prey model.....I personally tend to feed barf raw completes (which includes veg).......I also use suppliers/brands I have spoken to and used for a good while so confident re what's in their specific foods,  sourcing, quality control, customer service etc.

I will go so far as to comment that I would probably give the brand a try if I wanted to trial a prey model diet.

A lot may depend on whether you source locally or by mail order......as this can affect the maths & sourcing convenience longer term.

Dog news / Re: Worm Testing Kits
« on: Jun 26, 2018, 21:56 »
Competition in market can be a good thing  if quality of service and work not compromised.

I have done the maths and nothing here and thus far would cause me to jump ship from wormcount.com

Coincidentally I just got our two dogs (both good) results  back from wormcount.com

Thanks for sharing though

Quite fascinating to read.....the article mentions testing prior done on hundreds of mice and 12 years of research. From mice to dogs....perhaps the next evolution after dog testing may be human trials.

Seaweed I will be keeping an eye out for updates on this but please share any new info here f you see/find it.

Thanks for sharing above link

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22