Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - COASTER

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Dog foods / Re: The big question: What do you feed?
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 00:37 »
We have two dogs....

Currently one working line dog is fed Akela Fish Feast (big paws) 80/20 dry extruded kibble - the other (smaller dog that takes relatively less drinking water) is currently fed Wainwrights wet complete trays.

I haven't voted as first food not listed in the poll & even if it was I am not sure how or if I could vote twice for two dogs on different foods

Just for the record I feed Akela Fish dry extruded kibble for various reasons....... I wanted my working line Lab to have  grain free, (to reduce anal gland issues), maize free (to reduce loose output), also wanted white potato free & relatively low simple carb levels (on back of alleged non-industry comments that reducing simple carb levels may reduce energy source that feeds mast cell tumours). I also wanted higher omega 6 than 3 (similar reasons).  Not cheapest but I could  pay more for what I feel are worse or no better foods.

The Wainwrights trays are good value and have a good rating here.... Also relatively low levels of simple carbs.

I value decent foods & customer service, however, I do not have fixed brand loyalties &  (in a changing industry that should benefit from healthy competition), am always looking at differing products, food types, composition & customer experiences  (mine & others).

Re Guru : Been keeping an eye on related internet content re their food with interest. Certainly there  seem to be some efforts being made to get the brand out there.  Currently I cant see a grain free option. As mentioned elsewhere that there are other cold-pressed foods  out there that per/kg seemingly cost less  (aware of the age old claims in selling products that many sellers justify price as being relative to quality). Good to see another new food though.

Re "Healthy Dog - Wild Boar"  : Saw this online a week or so ago. it's good to see another cold-pressed on the market. Also good to see another cold-pressed with a food source  other than chicken (nothing wrong with same but some feeders prefer other meat sources).Great to see its grain & white potato free & uses sweet potato. (I feed grain free, low carb white potato free diet for specific reasons I may elaborate on at some time within another post).  Although their site lists various ingredients I havent seen a full percentage composition breakdown. Their site has a page with ingerdient and analysis listings for two other cold-pressed products which can be seen by clicking here however that does not give percentile breakdown of composition (for those other two foods) there isn't any info there re the wild boar food.
I note that the sourced wild boar are claimed a better food source than penn reared pigs, however, this did make  me wonder what the food sources the wild boar are eating ( I fully accept we often know very little re food chain in food for feeding humans as well as animals/pets but the term forage perhaps caused me to wonder re this).

I am increasingly interested to learn more re this food  & other cold-pressed foods.

I would also like to have better understanding of percentages of carbs in cold-pressed foods.

Oh and re shelf life of cold-pressed foods - I may be wrong but on back of a trusted to me source I  was caused to believe shelf lives may vary depending on the binding agent ingredient used. (& crucially also appropriate storeage conditions).

Great thread re a very interesting & evolving area of the dog food market.

Dog foods / Re: Best food for my puppy
« on: Jan 18, 2016, 20:34 »
Hi & welcome.....I have read your 1st post, however, have never owned or fed your breed (not my breed choice albeit quite fond of them & temperament of ones met though).

Wainrights wet complete trays suit some (various flavours) & we feed this to a toy dog here to a realtively small companion dog. Conversely our working breed dog is currently on Akela Fish, ( a relatively high meat content food often fed to working dogs), however, (& this is the important bit)., what suits some breeds, (or even individual dogs), might not suit your dog.

Whilst happy with what we feed I have also fed nutriment albeit you indicate your dog wasn't a fan. Do bear in mind it should be thawed properly & also comes in a huge variety of flavours & compositions (they might all be branded the same but ingredients & dogs realtionship with them can differ between varieties).

As well as wet completes, raw completes and dried extruded kibbles there are also other options out there including home cooked which some shappily sing praises of.

Less well known commercial food types (often getting favourable comments) include air dried, freeze dried & cold pressed. I find these relatively nee foods very interrestng as they some allege they have benefits over dried extruded kibbles which are allegedly usually extruded at higher temperatures, (which some allege has disadvantages).

Unfortunately air dried & freeze dried are currently out of my price budget. Cold pressed foods I find of great interest albeit for own dog specific dietary specific reasons (kibble wise)  I also currentlly feed a chicken, grain free & relatively low carb food.......I do, however, keep finding myself researching cold compresed & otherfoodsmade by  less conventional manufacturing processes.

Availability, shelf life, cost etc may also be factors although many accept the route to suitable feeding can sometimes involve a little effort.

The dog food generator gizmo on here may be yiur best bet to getting so e ideas asmight be speaking to your breeder, or perhaps a breed club to canvass viees of others who own the same breed.

Some vets know their nutritional & food stuff but I personally would do my own research & with a view to avoiding paying more for less &/or a product the vet sells at a significant profit margin.

In light of your comments & concerns I will stop short of recommeding a specific food but hope the above of some use

Thr other advice re adding fish or fish oil is sound a friend of family swears by occasionally adding sardines but I havén't researched pro's and con's .

Oh & obviously in any real concerns for your dogs health  then obviously consider consulting with  a suitable vet.

Home cooking / Re: Let's talk about home cooked dog food
« on: Jan 18, 2016, 19:34 »
David,

Thanks for taking time to respond & for clarifying your stance.

I have positively followed your work & attempts to influence the industry, (for some years), both on this site & elsewhere (incuding on TV).

I accept the points outlined  in your response. You have been instrumental in efforts to wake up the industry, (even if far too many owners still seem oblivious &/or unfussed what they feed).

I totally accept benefits of feeding a variety of decent food types, (including home coooked), however, (personally), I prefer discussions re commercial foods........I fully accept this site caters for various food types.

Fwiw I currently, (mainly not wholly), feed our two different dogs relatively low simple carb level commercial foods (one dog a 5 star rated dried extruded & the other a 4.5 star rated wet complete). I am watching  industry developments of cold pressed, air dried & freeze dried commercial foods with interest (personally I think the U.K. dog food manufacturing industry appears to be slow in moving forward in these market areas).

Anyway I have digressed & some - Thanks again for replying, (both of you)......& long may healthy dog food discussions continue re all foods - incuding home cooked  ;)

« on: Jan 17, 2016, 18:07 »
Dottie,

I note your reply with thanks

As mentioned I acknowledge the benefits of home cooked & raw. I have fed raw complete & also add appropriate home cooked human leftovers to the dogs bowls (adjusting commercial feed amounts).

I accept the boards also cater for non commercial food discussions, however, recent topics below perhaps demonstrate why I have an impression that there is a relatively high proprtion of non commercial dogfood forum traffic here..........

"Lets talk about home cooked dogfood"

"Just whats in dog food ?"

"A matter of ethics"

"Why adding human food to your dogs diet is so important"

"What is the future of dog food ?"

"Article in the Daily Mail Colour Supplement"(discussing home cooked & raw feeding)

"Newspaper Article about feeding catts and dogs a vegetarian diet"

Many newbies seeking to discuss commercial dog foods, (particularly those giving minimal info), often get rightly directed to the food generator & this perhsps discourages discussions developing or starting re commercial foods. This might partially explain my impression of relatively low commercial food forum content.

Apologies if have caused this thread to go off-topic, (happy if you move or split).

Thanks again.

« on: Jan 16, 2016, 20:28 »
Most would agree there are pro's & con's of different food types &/or ingdedients. 

Whilst I accept there are numerous benefits of feeding raw or home cooked I find it ironic that a website that I thought served to help owners select & feed commercial dogfood has so much discussion rubbishing or steering folk away from it.

Not disagreeing with home cooked or raw feeder contributions on here but I do wonder whether some of you might be better off on a site thats more  "all about NON commercial dog food"

Dog treats / Re: Xmas Day Treat
« on: Dec 21, 2015, 17:29 »
I am not dismissive of the importance of feeding decent foods or dismissive of the pitfalls in feeding rubbish.........

But.......

I doubt many households will be absent of human food left overs over the festive period.

We tend to put meat & veg on the table in serving bowls so its simply a case of a few bits ending up in the dogs bowls after we have eaten.

Obviously common sense applies ( brie & brandy laced pudding to be avoided).

Regardless of the article I find it ironic that many recognised breeds today have been created by mixing prior established breeds. Some have greater concerns re unhealthy pups bred from parents with health issues etc. Then again there are also plenty of badly bred dogs that aren't hybrids. Pedigree & KC registerd dogs in this household but I am mindful there are plenty of healthy dogs of specific or mixed breeds without papers also.

Dog foods / Re: Food for dog with lots of intolerances
« on: Nov 02, 2015, 01:00 »
Mindful we are currently off topic but I would enjoy walks far less if ours were unpredictable off lead. I appreciate off lead walking with solid recall is an issue for many....maaybe worth reading a book called Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. Even old dogs with a history can learn new tricks.

Dog foods / Re: High carb dog food
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 23:24 »
Carb levels on here usually a rough guide when in abscence of manufaturer/seller info.

Dog foods / Re: High carb dog food
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 21:13 »
Just to add sweet potato and chick peas regarded as a complex carbs. I am no expert but I have read that simple carbs are allegedly less desireable than complex carbs.

Dog foods / Re: Best large breed dry puppy food
« on: Oct 24, 2015, 18:31 »
Any number of factors can cause loose stools but if excessive also then I would reduce the daily feed amount &/or spread out total with smaller feeds.

I have fed AG puppy large breed myself on a young lab (before and after they repackaged the product).

Personally I am not a huge fan of maize in dog food. I must add I am not citing Maize or AG foods as being problematic or the cause of any alleged issue.

Reducing feed amounts may sort your issues. I believe AG sell maize free products as do others. No idea if AG make a maize free puppy food. I should also add that as ingredients have improved fairly widely across the industry many no longer feel the need to feed a food branded for puppies so long as the ingredients are appropeiate.

Use the food selector generator gizmo to search products absent of any ingredients you don't want if that may help.

Loads of brands out there whether AG, autarky (salmon is maize free),  csj, , skinners, wainwrights, amongst many others. Plenty may be acceprable alternatives should you later feel genuine need to change for any reason.

General discussion / Re: Vegan, Vegetarian or Meat
« on: Oct 24, 2015, 17:22 »
Allegedly PETA have in the past made some controversial statements, however, I am not disputing all the content of the study.

We have a vegetarian in the household & although I eat meat I have reduced my intake of red meat significantly.

The alleged  moral and health benefits for humans eating vegetarian are fairly well documented.

It will be interesting to see if a significant manufactured dog food develops (said the poster currently feeding an 80/20 product).

Dog foods / Re: Food for dog with lots of intolerances
« on: Oct 23, 2015, 00:08 »
Assuming your dog has plenty of fresh water available I might be trying to encourage a littlle more of same, (which I appreciate can be near impossible with a reluctant drinker). You can add some to the feed if you wish.

I am looking at this very simply & on basis the food is okay for the dog and the dog is healthy on this food....obciously it is important to consider these factors too.

General discussion / Re: High protein and hyperactivity
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 21:56 »
Apologies re going slightly off topic deveolping the alleged solidity output comments on Eden, however, I would just like to add that (despite comments of others elsewhere) faeces solidity can often be re-established if feed amount reduced. Also some dogs take longer to adjust to a change. Silverb19 - I accept you know your dog better than anyone so please dont take my comments as indactive of me dismissing your disclosed negative experience as non diet content related.

Back on topic to the AG link - thanks for sharing. Interesting opinions albeit as indicated by them not exactly scientific re dogs. I seem to remember reading something similar from AG some years ago.

If I fed rubbish I wouldnt be shocked to see some behaviour compromise. I accept there are mixed views but as some feed specific foods to hopefully yield greater energy output it can be argued that if energy input (note I have not cited proteins),, is significantly excessive to output then it might have some bearing on behaviour.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22