Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - COASTER

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Home cooking / Re: Let's talk about home cooked dog food
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 18:07 »
Dottie,

I note your reply with thanks

As mentioned I acknowledge the benefits of home cooked & raw. I have fed raw complete & also add appropriate home cooked human leftovers to the dogs bowls (adjusting commercial feed amounts).

I accept the boards also cater for non commercial food discussions, however, recent topics below perhaps demonstrate why I have an impression that there is a relatively high proprtion of non commercial dogfood forum traffic here..........

"Lets talk about home cooked dogfood"

"Just whats in dog food ?"

"A matter of ethics"

"Why adding human food to your dogs diet is so important"

"What is the future of dog food ?"

"Article in the Daily Mail Colour Supplement"(discussing home cooked & raw feeding)

"Newspaper Article about feeding catts and dogs a vegetarian diet"

Many newbies seeking to discuss commercial dog foods, (particularly those giving minimal info), often get rightly directed to the food generator & this perhsps discourages discussions developing or starting re commercial foods. This might partially explain my impression of relatively low commercial food forum content.

Apologies if have caused this thread to go off-topic, (happy if you move or split).

Thanks again.

Home cooking / Re: Let's talk about home cooked dog food
« on: Jan 16, 2016, 20:28 »
Most would agree there are pro's & con's of different food types &/or ingdedients. 

Whilst I accept there are numerous benefits of feeding raw or home cooked I find it ironic that a website that I thought served to help owners select & feed commercial dogfood has so much discussion rubbishing or steering folk away from it.

Not disagreeing with home cooked or raw feeder contributions on here but I do wonder whether some of you might be better off on a site thats more  "all about NON commercial dog food"

Dog treats / Re: Xmas Day Treat
« on: Dec 21, 2015, 17:29 »
I am not dismissive of the importance of feeding decent foods or dismissive of the pitfalls in feeding rubbish.........

But.......

I doubt many households will be absent of human food left overs over the festive period.

We tend to put meat & veg on the table in serving bowls so its simply a case of a few bits ending up in the dogs bowls after we have eaten.

Obviously common sense applies ( brie & brandy laced pudding to be avoided).

Regardless of the article I find it ironic that many recognised breeds today have been created by mixing prior established breeds. Some have greater concerns re unhealthy pups bred from parents with health issues etc. Then again there are also plenty of badly bred dogs that aren't hybrids. Pedigree & KC registerd dogs in this household but I am mindful there are plenty of healthy dogs of specific or mixed breeds without papers also.

Dog foods / Re: Food for dog with lots of intolerances
« on: Nov 02, 2015, 01:00 »
Mindful we are currently off topic but I would enjoy walks far less if ours were unpredictable off lead. I appreciate off lead walking with solid recall is an issue for many....maaybe worth reading a book called Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. Even old dogs with a history can learn new tricks.

Dog foods / Re: High carb dog food
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 23:24 »
Carb levels on here usually a rough guide when in abscence of manufaturer/seller info.

Dog foods / Re: High carb dog food
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 21:13 »
Just to add sweet potato and chick peas regarded as a complex carbs. I am no expert but I have read that simple carbs are allegedly less desireable than complex carbs.

Dog foods / Re: Best large breed dry puppy food
« on: Oct 24, 2015, 18:31 »
Any number of factors can cause loose stools but if excessive also then I would reduce the daily feed amount &/or spread out total with smaller feeds.

I have fed AG puppy large breed myself on a young lab (before and after they repackaged the product).

Personally I am not a huge fan of maize in dog food. I must add I am not citing Maize or AG foods as being problematic or the cause of any alleged issue.

Reducing feed amounts may sort your issues. I believe AG sell maize free products as do others. No idea if AG make a maize free puppy food. I should also add that as ingredients have improved fairly widely across the industry many no longer feel the need to feed a food branded for puppies so long as the ingredients are appropeiate.

Use the food selector generator gizmo to search products absent of any ingredients you don't want if that may help.

Loads of brands out there whether AG, autarky (salmon is maize free),  csj, , skinners, wainwrights, amongst many others. Plenty may be acceprable alternatives should you later feel genuine need to change for any reason.

General discussion / Re: Vegan, Vegetarian or Meat
« on: Oct 24, 2015, 17:22 »
Allegedly PETA have in the past made some controversial statements, however, I am not disputing all the content of the study.

We have a vegetarian in the household & although I eat meat I have reduced my intake of red meat significantly.

The alleged  moral and health benefits for humans eating vegetarian are fairly well documented.

It will be interesting to see if a significant manufactured dog food develops (said the poster currently feeding an 80/20 product).

Dog foods / Re: Food for dog with lots of intolerances
« on: Oct 23, 2015, 00:08 »
Assuming your dog has plenty of fresh water available I might be trying to encourage a littlle more of same, (which I appreciate can be near impossible with a reluctant drinker). You can add some to the feed if you wish.

I am looking at this very simply & on basis the food is okay for the dog and the dog is healthy on this food....obciously it is important to consider these factors too.

General discussion / Re: High protein and hyperactivity
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 21:56 »
Apologies re going slightly off topic deveolping the alleged solidity output comments on Eden, however, I would just like to add that (despite comments of others elsewhere) faeces solidity can often be re-established if feed amount reduced. Also some dogs take longer to adjust to a change. Silverb19 - I accept you know your dog better than anyone so please dont take my comments as indactive of me dismissing your disclosed negative experience as non diet content related.

Back on topic to the AG link - thanks for sharing. Interesting opinions albeit as indicated by them not exactly scientific re dogs. I seem to remember reading something similar from AG some years ago.

If I fed rubbish I wouldnt be shocked to see some behaviour compromise. I accept there are mixed views but as some feed specific foods to hopefully yield greater energy output it can be argued that if energy input (note I have not cited proteins),, is significantly excessive to output then it might have some bearing on behaviour.

Dog foods / Re: Grain and Potato free?
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 21:35 »
Perhaps I am looking in wrong places but....

Canidae Pure Sea (one I didnt know about) on their own site lists potato as an ingedient albeit alongside sweet potato.

Barking Heads grain free I prior overlooked when looking for grain & white potato free fish kibble albeit there is competition out there that has allegedly has higher fish content, is allegedly more cost effective to feed & has a higher AADF review rating.

I am very aware that individual dog compatability & personal preference are huge factors & its not just about meat content, ratings & cost.

Thanks for sharing info re these.

Dog foods / Re: bought a new food.... Thoughts?
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 16:59 »
Pegasus,

I have zero issue with sellers having profit margins & I accept they are generally essential to business , however, I am unsure if prices of this food can significantly vary dependant on seller &/or labelling.(I also accept there are margins with non white labelled foods). It is the potential for price variation of identical bag content that would be my interest.

If I was buying this food my cost effective purchase decision would be to compare costs charged with delivery by  various sellers if they were essentially selling the same thing. Customer service is also a consideration.

I accept your comments re it being 33% lower price than other "grain free high meat content foods" albeit you dont name "the others" or their prices making it not possible to compare & evaluate products against each other relative to cost & composition. I also note this appears to be a 50/50 kibble. Nothing wrong with that ratio, (& I accept some dogs do better on this than higher meat content foods), however 50/50 kibbles sometimes retail lower than kibbles with a higher meat percentage. The term "high meat content" arguably covers a wide spectrum of percentaged composition albeit I accept the content in the food mentioned here is higher than in many other kibbles. ( I accept 50℅ is respectable, far better than many & meat content percentages have only increased significantly across some of the industry more recently).

I have no reason to dislike this food & would not criticise anyone for feeding or selling it if sourced at an acceptable price to concerned parties.

Just to refocus on the OP..... labelled composition/ingredients seem to indicate this is a good food for needs of many & far  better than many other foods out there in my opinion. I must clarify that I have never fed it though.

« on: Oct 19, 2015, 15:59 »
I appreciate that basic ingredient sourcing & feeding of RAW &/or home prepared have real benefits,  (I have fed tripe, meaty bones, chicken wings ( as well as a 5 star rated RAW complete) before.

My post was in response to the OP who was seeking names of a retailed dog food & in abscence of a branded grain & white potato free fish based kibble being named.

I personally do not feel that all processed dog foods are the same & consider other factors can also impact health.

I am not suggesting feeding or discussing RAW &/or home cooked are bad things but wasn't expecting such a high proportion of posts on these forums promoting home prepared feeding on a website I thought was "All About (Retail) Dog Food.

« on: Oct 18, 2015, 23:19 »
Re grain & white potato free (fish) kibbles....

I appreciate this thread is a few weeks old, however, developing on the last post.... I believe Akela 80/20 Fish Feast to be a single source (fish) protein, grain & white potato free kibble. .....Price currently £34.99 for 10kg. Hopefully they will keep the cost sensible once it has established itself more within the marketplace.

Another one to look at might be Naturea Atlantica with fish as main protein (but it does contain chicken fat , should that be an issue).

Orijen Six Fish is single source protein (fish) white potato free (allegedly extruded at lower temps than many other kibbles) it reads/reviews superbly but comes at a significant price.

Aatu is white potato free and truly single source protein - I presently know relatively little about this food though.

Finally Ziwi-Peak is a relatively new to U.K. air dried product and free of white potato as well as grains but wit a current AADF claimed price of  £89.99 for just 5kg , cost savings would arguably have to be a very low consideration.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22